Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Well, that voids your warranty then!

Warranty (in my case) is allready gone and I know what I am doing, don’t worry ;-)

The post was just speculation... nothing more. 

40 minutes ago, jjharris said:

@rd2rk You wrote what I thought. Thanks man. !!

@jjharris The page is surely great but since I am user and owner of serveral Line6 products I would expect to get infos here from first hand in the official forum from official employers and maybe later somewhere else in other forums ;-)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, manix1979 said:

The page is surely great but since I am user and owner of serveral Line6 products I would expect to get infos here from first hand in the official forum from official employers and maybe later somewhere else in other forums ;-)

How many do you own?  I own serveral too.

16 minutes ago, steelstringer said:

Is his comment around the 2 min, 8 second mark a hint that the update is already on his Helix. A Beta, I suppose? 

For sure L6 made him a beta tester. He's likely had some version of it for weeks.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:12 AM, Kilrahi said:

For sure L6 made him a beta tester. He's likely had some version of it for weeks.

There is a comment on the Farcebuck Helix Family Pages asking why Jason Sadites had not been declared a Line 6 “CS Ambassador”, alongside the others listed like our very own “phil_m”? The answer came back from one of the administrators that there was no need because JS is already a Yamaha Guitar Artist. Stands to reason the guy is going to be in the loop.

So just curious, what exactly is causing the delay in the release of 2.8. We have testers out there posting clips of other testers useing 2.8, we have heard line6 has put in hours working on 2.8, is there a huge issue holding things up or tiny issues. I am glad they are working to get it right and it will be well worth it again just curious.

12 minutes ago, lefttygtr said:

So just curious, what exactly is causing the delay in the release of 2.8. We have testers out there posting clips of other testers useing 2.8, we have heard line6 has put in hours working on 2.8, is there a huge issue holding things up or tiny issues. I am glad they are working to get it right and it will be well worth it again just curious.

No huge issues from what I can tell... More like getting all the details buttoned up. There’s a ton of integration in this update. There’s the L6 Link stuff with the DT amps and Powercab, and then there’s the new Variax stuff as well. When you’re testing the interaction between all those pieces of gear, there’s just a lot to look at. There's also the Native Compatibility Mode piece, which is another part where the interaction between different pieces of gear and software needs to be considered... It's probably the most ambitious HX update to date.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lefttygtr said:

As I said back on.... (sound of webpages being shuffled around)... page 3 of this thread, I e-mailed Line 6 asking that they hold off on release until I get home from my work travels. I’ll be home Thursday, so brace yourself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, lefttygtr said:

Well, they don't want to say this publicly, but from what I've heard in a small number of cases it renders people sterile. What they haven't pinned down yet is if that's a bug or a feature. 

• Haha 7

39 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Well, they don't want to say this publicly, but from what I've heard in a small number of cases it renders people sterile. What they haven't pinned down yet is if that's a bug or a feature. 

Well don’t let “Spikey” know that - he may think it’s aimed at him, especially since that stuff in some previous release notes:

For those who did complain (AND WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE), the new tuner will be unlocked once you perform ONE of the following:...”

And there was also something from a while back about your car radio playing death metal at 5am, or something equally weird.

• Haha 3

Well don’t let “Spikey” know that - he may think it’s aimed at him

Now, why would anyone who is as "AWESOME"  as I think that?  ; P

BTW- thanks for taking the time to do it "right" Line-6.

• Upvote 1

Why dont L6 have a beta program.. it's not like they're ahead of the game anymore, or hiding anything from the users.. suppose if you dont show off your Helix skills on a Basefook page or Suetoob channel you ain't in the club... they could learn a lot from real users that use Helix for more than videos, not that I have time to beta test but imagine how much quicker the releases would be if they had 1000 beta testers, not  a few youtubers..

17 minutes ago, markdaniels76 said:

Why dont L6 have a beta program.. it's not like they're ahead of the game anymore, or hiding anything from the users.. suppose if you dont show off your Helix skills on a Basefook page or Suetoob channel you ain't in the club... they could learn a lot from real users that use Helix for more than videos, not that I have time to beta test but imagine how much quicker the releases would be if they had 1000 beta testers, not  a few youtubers..

I'm pretty sure they DO have a beta tester program, as evidenced by DI suggesting several people on TGP were having their beta privileges revoked for talking too much beyond the NDAs they signed. It might not be a huge amount of people though, and having a public beta is a good way to end up with an overflow of CS inquiries when someone doesn't get it loaded right, or it corrupts their favorite patches or something.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, markdaniels76 said:

Not sure that having a 1,000 beta testers would be all that helpful, as that would be generating a ton of data to deal with. They simply don't have a huge team of developers to deal with something like that. I know other companies do public betas for releases, but most of those releases seem to be a lot more limited in scope, and they aren't dealing with 5 different hardware SKUs and a VST plug-in at the same time...

• Like 5

Thought part of this update was to unify the code? 

I am talking Beta too and not Alpha, so any issues should be pretty minor if L6 have had their heads on...  by the way I have no clue how L6 compile their software releases, I'm an AV manager at a Uni, and a weekend warrior

I'm being grumpy too as I'm an impatient customer... hate to say it but it puts me off buying L6 stuff. I got excited about My HD500X too and they killed it at 2.6.. really wanted it to get more goodies. They still sell them too.

That's my rant for this hour...

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I must say I am surprised by the lack of outrage here at Snitfest 2.8... only one vague hint about not buying anymore L6 stuff... I can't believe that nobody is off their meds this week. ;)

This is only kind of related, but I was about to get extremely pissed at their font choices over on the main L6 page. 

So that's something. 

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I must say I am surprised by the lack of outrage here at Snitfest 2.8... only one vague hint about not buying anymore L6 stuff... I can't believe that nobody is off their meds this week. ;)

calling all TOOL fans!!!! ok, kids tell the nice people here what waiting really feels like LOL.... 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, arislaf said:

I love to say its out, its out, and people start hating me in tgp... i believe that if it will be out, if i will be the first to say, they will not believe it anymore... muahahahah

1C6833A3-1CE3-49CA-8DFE-F067ED1C771E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phil_m said:

Not sure that having a 1,000 beta testers would be all that helpful, as that would be generating a ton of data to deal with. They simply don't have a huge team of developers to deal with something like that. I know other companies do public betas for releases, but most of those releases seem to be a lot more limited in scope, and they aren't dealing with 5 different hardware SKUs and a VST plug-in at the same time...

This is one of those great misperceptions about beta testing.  That's because some major software companies (ones I've worked for in fact) have enlisted everyday users as "beta testers" in a program open to almost anyone..calling it an open beta.  The truth be told, an open beta program is nothing more than a marketing effort as there really isn't a testing discipline in place as far as scheduled reporting and NDA's.  Nothing is really gained as far as the development cycle in an open beta other than public word of mouth and there's really not a lot of support for open beta users that might lose data or have problems.

Functional (real) beta programs are always confined and limited in participation to ensure testers adhere to testing disciplines and cover a wide enough range of possible uses to be "user driven but functionally appropriate" testing and are quite demanding in their reporting requirements with plenty of support from the product development organization.  Even then, statistically speaking, the VAST majority of bugs get discovered, classified, and prioritized by full-time product testers following a regimented functionality block testing program, not by beta testers.

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Too busy playing and then I forgot that we get free updates.  Sacrilege you say, forgive me I say, off with his head they say!  Now about those meds … ;-)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

This is one of those great misperceptions about beta testing.  That's because some major software companies (ones I've worked for in fact) have enlisted everyday users as "beta testers" in a program open to almost anyone..calling it an open beta.  The truth be told, an open beta program is nothing more than a marketing effort as there really isn't a testing discipline in place as far as scheduled reporting and NDA's.  Nothing is really gained as far as the development cycle in an open beta other than public word of mouth and there's really not a lot of support for open beta users that might lose data or have problems.

Functional (real) beta programs are always confined and limited in participation to ensure testers adhere to testing disciplines and cover a wide enough range of possible uses to be "user driven but functionally appropriate" testing and are quite demanding in their reporting requirements with plenty of support from the product development organization.  Even then, statistically speaking, the VAST majority of bugs get discovered, classified, and prioritized by full-time product testers following a regimented functionality block testing program, not by beta testers.

That's largely true, there is a bit more going on when online video game betas are being done. Marketing, sure, but a lot of that is also about stress testing how the servers handle a much larger player base.

In the case of a user base like the Helix, a huge open beta would make zero sense and cause way more headaches than it's worth (imagine if the beta had a problem bricking a Helix unit, holy hell . . .).

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

We shared bottles an I good the got stuff hic!

Just an idea to calm down the users and to the risk to get kicked out from the forum: L6, I know it’s a hard work, I know you missed the release „date“. Or let’s say it was more complicated than expected to release in time. Much users are waiting for the update daily, hourly, minutely or some maybe secondly. The software update surely works near perfect on it‘s release. Overseen small bugs are normal. WE ALL APRECIATE YOUR WORK!!  NEVER FORGET THIS PLEASE.!! WE ARE GLAD THAT YOU STILL DEVELOP NEW FUNCTIONS AND MAKE THE BEST EVEN BETTER!!

What about a special offer for HelixNative (I am talking about for free or a extended time limited usage or just 10 or 20 bucks) for all the waiting customers, for the delay and for the sparse infos and as well for teasing us since January?

It is just an idea, nothing more and for sure NO request to do something.

If there comes nothing.... well then it is as it is. I don‘t know how important satisfied

customers are for L6. 

Hopefully no one is stinky right now. I can not post this in ideascale ;-)

Oh man this sounds like a works Council :-)

Do you have a job on helpdesk or customer care? :-))) Nah, forget it, I would harm the company....

2 hours ago, manix1979 said:

Just an idea to calm down the users and to the risk to get kicked out from the forum: L6, I know it’s a hard work, I know you missed the release „date“. Or let’s say it was more complicated than expected to release in time. Much users are waiting for the update daily, hourly, minutely or some maybe secondly. The software update surely works near perfect on it‘s release. Overseen small bugs are normal. WE ALL APRECIATE YOUR WORK!!  NEVER FORGET THIS PLEASE.!! WE ARE GLAD THAT YOU STILL DEVELOP NEW FUNCTIONS AND MAKE THE BEST EVEN BETTER!!

I would suggest that maybe you need to calm down. Line 6 haven’t missed the release “date” as a specific date was never given. The  update was slated for Spring 2019 which was probably not the best way to advertise this thing, but spring technically passed only a week ago. Cut these guys some slack will ya! They are doing their level best to bring into line 5 different pieces of hardware and one software plug-in. I don’t think that’s been as easy as an outside casual observer may have thought.

In the meantime, take a chill pill, relax, sit back and enjoy a clip from a great eighties movie - and WAIT!

• Like 2