Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

52 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

That's because mechanical task execution and creativity really have nothing to do with each other... I'd argue that they're almost mutually exclusive. It's a very short list of players who are both technically proficient and capable of writing a decent tune. Most seem to blessed with way more of one than the other.

And this I guess is what Dave meant.

57 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

That's because mechanical task execution and creativity really have nothing to do with each other... I'd argue that they're almost mutually exclusive. It's a very short list of players who are both technically proficient and capable of writing a decent tune. Most seem to blessed with way more of one than the other.

Maybe. There is a lot of luck too, though. I have known quite a few talented songwriters who worked their guts out and went no where.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Its one thing to play like Hendrix, its quite another to be able to pen "Voodoo Chile" or "Little Wing".

That was the point that I was aiming to put across when I mentioned “poor deluded fools” in the earlier comment. Because you can spend a heap of cash on an iconic item like the Gilmour Black Strat or the Hendrix Epiphone acoustic (higher up the thread) - they are only talismanic touchstones. They aren’t really imbued with the creative genius of their previous owner. I don’t think I recall anything being written and/or performed by whoever it was that bought the Hendrix acoustic, Clapton’s Blackie or any other collectible instrument. As I said before - they are trophy hunters - all the gear and no idea!

Now, all we need is the “can Helix really reproduce the Andy Summers tone” debate, again, just to kill some time waiting for 2.8 to land.

Arrrrrggghhhh, no, no, no!

;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2019 at 12:23 AM, brue58ski said:

Why does Joe Bonamassa have several amps on stage. Because different amps sound different.

Could it also be because he gets paid for it and doesn't have to carry it himself? :-)
I think that his way of his playing is the more important part of his sound.
The differences of the amps seem rather marginal to me in this context. 

6 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Maybe. There is a lot of luck too, though. I have known quite a few talented songwriters who worked their guts out and went no where.

I was merely talking about one skill vs. another, and the fact that it's exceedingly rare for any one player to have both in abundance....but financial success has little to nothing to do with either one. Whether or not you can manage to put food on the table writing songs, or by having technical mastery of an instrument is an entirely different discussion.

17 hours ago, manix1979 said:

Ok that‘s then some kind of tribute I guess. 

Well you have a good work to do (or allready did) to sound like David. All the nuances of his playing... oh man...

Great musicians those who are still alive and those who sadly died. It‘s not „my“ music but who cares? The masterminds behind the music are amazing!!

One thing I do to show my friends how cool everything that's available to guitar players is, (showing of my Helix among other things) is to play along to a backing track. Pink Floyd would be one of the bands backing tracks I use. On many occasions they're not impressed. They say "awww, you're just playing along with the song. It's hiding all of your mistakes. I'm just hearing the blend of the recording with you." Then I stop playing. Then they stop hearing any guitar, that's when they're impressed. Not to toot my own horn or anything about my playing or to imply I can play exactly like Mr. Gilmour. I'm just pointing out that though, yeah, I can't microtonally match a certain player (who can?), people can and do feel like they are experiencing another player. I'm sure there's an ear to two on this forum that would be able to tell it's me, but I've found many "regular" people cannot. It's an experience that's changed my perspective on the "no, you can't sound like another artist" discussion. 

14 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

One thing I do to show my friends how cool everything that's available to guitar players is, (showing of my Helix among other things) is to play along to a backing track. Pink Floyd would be one of the bands backing tracks I use. On many occasions they're not impressed. They say "awww, you're just playing along with the song. It's hiding all of your mistakes. I'm just hearing the blend of the recording with you." Then I stop playing. Then they stop hearing any guitar, that's when they're impressed. Not to toot my own horn or anything about my playing or to imply I can play exactly like Mr. Gilmour. I'm just pointing out that though, yeah, I can't microtonally match a certain player (who can?), people can and do feel like they are experiencing another player. I'm sure there's an ear to two on this forum that would be able to tell it's me, but I've found many "regular" people cannot. It's an experience that's changed my perspective on the "no, you can't sound like another artist" discussion. 

I've heard some great tribute acts too - definitely not nailing every song, but certainly pulling off the tone and feel in a lot of places.  I think there's even an argument for tribute acts over the original artist in some cases, as they are so faithful to the original recording.  For your average Joe it can subjectively be better than the live arrangement the original artist performs; the number of times I've heard 'non-musical' people raving about a live performance because it's indistinguishable from the album version...  :)

4 hours ago, schuha_at said:

Could it also be because he gets paid for it and doesn't have to carry it himself? :-)
I think that his way of his playing is the more important part of his sound.
The differences of the amps seem rather marginal to me in this context. 

Are you implying that the ONLY reason he has them up there is because he can? I'm guessing that no he doesn't have all of those amps JUST because he get's paid for it nor JUST because he doesn't have to carry it himself.. He may decide to lug them around on tour for those reasons and not  try another solution but that's not WHY he does. The MAIN reason he has them is NOT JUST because someone's carrying them for him. That would be ridiculous. It's because he likes the different tones/sounds he get's out of them. His way of playing is, of course, the most important part, but it ain't the only part. The tone that he get's is a major part. When I first heard Mr Bonamassa (Live at Albert Hall, a must have DVD), it was his tone that originally got my attention. I mean I'm talking about the very first note he played, I really liked it. It is fairly unique to him. I mean why would he, and many other artists, even bother to use a different amp, let alone actually tour with more than one? We all know how much of a hassle that is, even if you don't have to carry them around yourself. It's not the most important thing but, again, I think it's a lot more important than a lot of people state. I'm assuming just about everyone, if not all, of the people on this forum has had the experience of having a really good tone inspire the way they play as well as experiencing a lousy tone sucking the creativity out of you. It's something that, for me, is an important part of my playing. Not the most important. But a lot more important than is implied by this pre update dialog. And if it's actually, truly not important at all to anyone else, that's great for whoever you are. I enjoy playing a lot more with a great tone and that makes it a fairly large component of what people hear from me.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, soundog said:

O.K.

Next topic.

Honestly, that was a pretty good derailment. Music philosophy is a civilized intelligent thing to be going over.  It's especially fascinating that it's contained at the tail end of a firmware thread. 

Could it be that Line 6's TRUE PURPOSE with 2.8 is to bring guitarists, and by extension, the world together again?

Perhaps this delay is a clever master plan in disguise. 

So what should be the next topic? Tasty wheat? 

\

14 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Could it be that Line 6's TRUE PURPOSE with 2.8 is to bring guitarists, and by extension, the world together again?

Yep, that's it. In fact, I have it on good authority that they're getting out of the music business altogether. New company slogan is "Line 6: Lunatic Whisperers"....;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, soundog said:

O.K.

Next topic.

Know what’s on my mind? I just sold my Atomic CLR (which was replaced by a pair of PowerCab+ cabs) and purchased a Strymon TimeLine to go along with my Big Sky. It will be here Friday. I’m pretty excited. That’s what’s on my mind.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Absolutely, Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Eric Johnson, and the list goes on are all examples of phenomenal technicians who are lucky to have more than one song that anyone but fellow guitarists can remember.  Forgot to mention, in addition to a good song you need to be a great, competent, or at least interesting singer or have one in your band as well. Instrumentals rarely get the same kind of attention.

34 minutes ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Know what’s on my mind? I just sold my Atomic CLR (which was replaced by a pair of PowerCab+ cabs) and purchased a Strymon TimeLine to go along with my Big Sky. It will be here Friday. I’m pretty excited. That’s what’s on my mind.

I sold my Strymon Big 3 to buy my Helix.  You'll love 'em.  The Big Sky basically destroys any reverb patch on the Helix.  It's that good.  I do miss my Strymon stuff, but don't regret my decision.  Strymon's UI/UX definitely feels dated compared to what others are doing these days.  Personally, I always struggled in a live situation dialing in specific  patches, especially when just jamming.  That said, I do miss having them.  They sound incredible.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, davepmoll said:

I sold my Strymon Big 3 to buy my Helix.  You'll love 'em.  The Big Sky basically destroys any reverb patch on the Helix.  It's that good.  I do miss my Strymon stuff, but don't regret my decision.  Strymon's UI/UX definitely feels dated compared to what others are doing these days.  Personally, I always struggled in a live situation dialing in specific  patches, especially when just jamming.  That said, I do miss having them.  They sound incredible.  

Big Sky blew my mind. I have to agree that it is in a different league from the Helix reverbs. Not that it should be surprising, Big Sky has around half the DSP that Helix has and can dedicate it all to a single effect, it should stand apart! While I have been pretty happy with the delays in Helix, I look forward to diving into TimeLine and seeing what it can do. I use a lot of reverb and delay effects, so moving these resource intensive functions out of Helix will also free up a lot of DSP for things like multiple amps without sacrificing my goodies... 

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Well, it was  good Kumbaya moment while it lasted . . .

Lmao... you didn't actually think that we were done with the incessant skirt-tugging and "where's my firmware?" snot bubbles, did you?

As long as we're asking for stuff, I want a vomit emoji for our "reaction" menu... ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Honestly, that was a pretty good derailment. Music philosophy is a civilized intelligent thing to be going over.  It's especially fascinating that it's contained at the tail end of a firmware thread. 

So what should be the next topic? Tasty wheat? 

Yeah. Since this is the "waitin for firmware" thread, I thought it was a nice little discussion. I don't think anyone was overly nasty or anything.

5 hours ago, brue58ski said:

They say "awww, you're just playing along with the song. It's hiding all of your mistakes. I'm just hearing the blend of the recording with you." Then I stop playing. Then they stop hearing any guitar, that's when they're impressed.

That's one of the reasons I now play only to please myself. Oh, I don't mind playing out, but if I like it that's all that counts to me, and I will know if its good or not.  Brue It's great that you have the skillset to mimic the hands of other wonderfully good players, but the hoops you just described jumping thru just to impress them is more than I care to mess with. But Im glad they liked it... ; )

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Absolutely, Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Eric Johnson, and the list goes on are all examples of phenomenal technicians who are lucky to have more than one song that anyone but fellow guitarists can remember.  Forgot to mention, in addition to a good song you need to be a great, competent, or at least interesting singer or have one in your band as well. Instrumentals rarely get the same kind of attention.

Geoff Tate would be a good example of such a singer. As good as Queensryche's music was for the 80s, what would they have been without Geoff Tate?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spikey said:

That's one of the reasons I now play only to please myself. Oh, I don't mind playing out, but if I like it that's all that counts to me, and I will know if its good or not.  Brue It's great that you have the skillset to mimic the hands of other wonderfully good players, but the hoops you just described jumping thru just to impress them is more than I care to mess with. But Im glad they liked it... ; )

You know, to me it's not about the ability to mimic someone else at this point in my  musical wanderings.  I've spent so many years mimicking different people that now I have the luxury of applying some of those sounds and techniques into other types of music to give them a more interesting sound and production feel.  A little Joe Walsh flavor in this song, a little Brian May in that one, a little James Taylor in this other one, and maybe some Clapton, or Chet Atkins, or Brad Paisley in others.  That's what makes the Helix so much fun for me.  It's not about playing a Joe Walsh song, but what if Joe were to sit in on "this" song...what would that sound like?

Now that's fun no matter who you are....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Now that's fun no matter who you are....

Agreed- being able to mimic well (and know when you are doing it) AND at the drop of a hat where needed would be the ultimate in fun!

I was just lamenting on the fireworks you get now; they're overpriced and nowhere near as good as the sh*t you could buy when I was a kid. We used to be able to get M-80s and cherry bombs. Do some damage. Make some noise. Now they just sell Pop-its and these little tanks that shoot sparks out and stuff.

To all interested users: If you are Helix user and registered allready your device. 

Helix Native is good priced now. $99 is good BUT summer sale with $30 off makes it really interesting. For me it was time to catch it ;-)

$83 (€74) incl. taxes is perfect! Instead of 99 or more (if you have no helix registered)

15 minutes ago, line-6-user said:

Please... keep this thread on topic!

I can't believe there are 11 pages and ALLOT of it wasted my time reading it.  

So you would prefer 11 pages of constant whining about something that won't get changed by anything said here??  Sounds pretty boring to me...

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, soundog said:

I was just lamenting on the fireworks you get now; they're overpriced and nowhere near as good as the sh*t you could buy when I was a kid. We used to be able to get M-80s and cherry bombs. Do some damage. Make some noise. Now they just sell Pop-its and these little tanks that shoot sparks out and stuff.

Sparks like these! Happy 4th July

giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, line-6-user said:

OK damnit, now what was the topic again???

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, line-6-user said:

Which of course begs the question, why did you continue reading? There are countless other threads that manage to focus solely on utterly pointless, childish whining. You can salt your oatmeal with firmware- related tears by reading one of those... happy b1tching! ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spikey said:

OK damnit, now what was the topic again???

In honor of the 4th, I think that today's off-topic discussion should be freedom of speech......

Happy 4th everybody! Don't forget to do your patriotic duty by eating a roasted animal and blowing something up (inanimate objects only, please!)!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spikey said:

I'm like you as far as where and why I play. Mostly for myself. To make it clear, I do not actually get the tones of a song and play along with a backing track JUST to impress people. I personally get a lot of enjoyment out of getting a certain recording's tone/sound from the Helix and playing along with it's backing track. It also helps to train me how to get certain tones out of the Helix. I do it just for me.  It's like the ultimate air guitar. And there aren't any "hoops" to jump through as far as doing it. I just cue up a backing track and start to play along with it. And I want to make it clear, I did/do that backing track demo to impress people with the Helix and what it can do. Not to regale people with my playing prowess. These are people that know I can play and are aware of my playing level. I've done it with previous products I've owned and didn't get that reaction which is why I do it so much. The fact that I can "fool" people into thinking they're hearing a particular artist is just a by product of that. I've just been so impressed with the Helix I love showing people what it can do and how far technology has come. And I don't consider myself to be some amazing player or think I have an amazing ability to play like other people that no others possess. I'm betting there are plenty of people on this forum that, in the same situation, would "fool" people. They'd probably fool my friends anyway. In fact, based on what little I know about you, I'm betting you would be able to do the same thing. I just don't buy into the "no one can sound like him" argument and was using that as an example. Have you seen any of PDX Guitar Freaks Van Halen stuff on youtube? Now that boy can play and would definitely "fool" most people. Besides, if I was really as good as I think may have made it sound I thought I was (again, not my intent at all), where the hell is my CD?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

In honor of the 4th, I think that today's off-topic discussion should be freedom of speech......

Happy 4th everybody! Don't forget to do your patriotic duty by eating a roasted animal and blowing something up (inanimate objects only, please!)!

Is it OK to blow up the animals first and then eat them?

• Haha 1