Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

7 hours ago, line-6-user said:

Please... keep this thread on topic!

I can't believe there are 11 pages and ALLOT of it wasted my time reading it.  

Oh topic *this*, Shirley.

This thread subject is about a binary situation.  It's either out or it isn't.  I just saved you 11 pages of any reading.  The conversation is going to wander. 

You must be a riot during runway delays.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, brue58ski said:

To make it clear, I do not actually get the tones of a song and play along with a backing track JUST to impress people.

Oh I know that Brue. You do it the same reason that I do it. It's a challenge and a whole lotta fun!

On many occasions they're not impressed. They say "awww, you're just playing along with the song. It's hiding all of your mistakes.

And there aren't any "hoops" to jump through as far as doing it. 

That hoop comment I made was for them and I didn't explain that well I'm afraid. It was for those like you mentioned- that smugly listen only because they happen by, that have no idea the number of hours we have sat in a dim-lit room practicing our skills till our ears rang & fingers hurt (and destroying the vinyl and needle doing it). The hoops I used to jump thru to please those like that are over for me. I just don't do anymore.  If I like how it sounds that all thats needed for me. But that "hoop" comment was not directed at you. ; )

After selling my beloved JTV69 because its internal batteries go into protect when outside in 100 plus degree weather (I live in a very hit climate)and my HD500 with it I have not been here in quite a while. I picked up the little Relay G10s for a poolside resort gig I have over the summer a couple days ago.I have used many many Line 6 amps /effects and still use a G50 wireless(killer unit!) a lot.I have been considering a Helix LT to replace my GT100.I also have been teaching at a GC here in central California for the last two and a half years so I have been getting a daily dose of peoples(esp musicians) ridiculous demands of companies that make the gear we love. Modeling gear esp is not a bazzilion dollar business. Profitable sure but not an Amazon bonanza of bloated profits. I am very put off by some of the comments here directed at the guys representing L6. What a bunch of impatient petulant silly children who are posting these things.Some of you need to work on your chops and your attitude. Have some class. L6 is a great company and we are lucky to have them. I have used the software going back to my days of commercials and Amp Farm. I think a new Gibson(the horror) and a Helix LT I shall purchase after summer is over lol! You younger players have no idea how ez things are for guitar players these days! But  uh please carry on while I approach the backyard beer and BBQ.Happy 4th of July to DI and Frank Richotte and everyone here at Line 6!

• Upvote 3

Here in Clark County, Washington State, USA most of the locals own large firearms. Its the land of the freakin' free and brave, right?! I'm sitting on my porch as we move into the early evening of the 4th of July, and  can hear neighbors shooting shotguns, AR-15s and tank grenades into the air to celebrate. Its not a good time to be flying a small plane.

Yee haw!!

2 hours ago, litesnsirens said:

Huh?  Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying AC/DC would not have been able to build their legacy the way they did if they had been using Mesa Boogie amps instead of Marshalls?  Or was there a typo in there that changed the meaning?  

I have no doubt that if Malcolm and Angus only had access to Mesa Boogie amps, they could have dialed in a tone they like, written and recorded all their songs and sold just as many records as they did with the Marshalls.   I mean heck, didn't they prove that when they were forced to change their lead vocal sound?

Well i mean if YOU have no doubt,  then it must be true. Not sure why you couldnt have simply disagreed without all the douchery? 

Its apparent you dont understand the value of "getting the right sound".  You dont get Stevie Rays tone with a les Paul and a JCM 800, and you dont get a guitar tone on an album like Pyromania on a Twin Reverb and a Rick, and a Soldano cab with Eminence speakers will never sound like a Marshall with greenbacks no matter how hard you try.

I mean heck, didn't they prove that when they were forced to change their lead vocal sound?

No. apples to oranges.

4 hours ago, willjrock said:

Well i mean if YOU have no doubt,  then it must be true. Not sure why you couldnt have simply disagreed without all the douchery? 

Its apparent you dont understand the value of "getting the right sound".  You dont get Stevie Rays tone with a les Paul and a JCM 800, and you dont get a guitar tone on an album like Pyromania on a Twin Reverb and a Rick, and a Soldano cab with Eminence speakers will never sound like a Marshall with greenbacks no matter how hard you try.

No. apples to oranges.

OK, I take it all back, I will simply say I disagree with your previous statement.  I’m not sure what that has to do with any of what you wrote above but, whatever.

4 hours ago, litesnsirens said:

OK, I take it all back, I will simply say I disagree with your previous statement.  I’m not sure what that has to do with any of what you wrote above but, whatever.

Well all im saying man is that gear DOES matter. Anyone who thinks differently can tell themselves whatever they want,  but you dont choose a boogie when you want a marshall sound and a fender wont sound like a marshall no matter what you do. Youll have to get a marshall for that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, willjrock said:

Well all im saying man is that gear DOES matter. Anyone who thinks differently can tell themselves whatever they want,  but you dont choose a boogie when you want a marshall sound and a fender wont sound like a marshall no matter what you do. Youll have to get a marshall for that. 

I don't recall anyone saying you can make a Fender sound like a Marshall. That's a given. If you could, there'd be no reason for modelers to exist, and L6 would be selling sneakers or cheeseburgers.

But that's really neither here nor there. His comment had nothing to do with wanting a particular sound, or claiming that all amps sound the same. All he did was express the opinion that ACDC would probably have managed just fine had they chosen to use something other than Marshalls. There's nothing wildly unreasonable about that notion...honestly, I think it's a perfectly valid point. I seriously doubt that Angus Young would have ended up a plumber or an insurance adjuster if Marshalls didn't exist. But alas, we'll never know... it's just a philosophical musing that can't be proven one way or the other. Either way though, nobody's arguing that gear is all he same.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I seriously doubt that Angus Young would have ended up as an insurance adjuster if Marshalls didn't exist.

He was but they had to let him go. Every time he went and walked down hail damage claims the clients heard T H U N D E R! 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, willjrock said:

I don't think that that's what people are saying. 

At least what I'm saying is MUSIC matters MORE, and music has always been about amazing rhythms that sound beautiful.  I've heard "Sweet Child of Mine" played by Slash with his gear and it's amazing tonal bliss - and I've tried to recreate it from time to time and it's awesome and it's part of WHY I love the HX line.

BUT .  .  . 

I also heard a version played once on a cheap Boss Katana and it wasn't set at all to sound like Guns and Roses - the guitar playing it was a Strat. It sounded AMAZING.

It gets worse though.

I also once heard it played on an acoustic guitar by Slash . . . . and that became my favorite version ever.

I also once heard it played on a frickin' trumpet!  It was also worth hearing.

That's what I think everyone is saying. A good song should sound good and be worth listening to no matter what gear you have (with some caveats - I'm assuming, for example, you don't play through a completely non functional amp). 

Caveat: Virtually nothing sounds good played on a bassoon. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

20 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

There's a reason those things are referred to as "farting bedposts"...;)

Tread carefully guys - there's a fellow user who occasionally comments on here, and he plays bassoon through a Helix!
You may be O.K., as I haven't seen him post anything recently and this soon just maybe a distant memory.

There may even be a video of him somewhere out there on the interweb thing!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hey, back on topic for just a moment. Just saw this.

Hi all, 

Just to let you all know that the wait is almost over. Here's the reply from a L6 support agent to ticket I opened. The issue was about the limitations of the L6link's handling by the Helix.

Quote : " I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. It's likely a firmware incompatibility. The newest update is just around the corner in about two weeks or so. You may want to wait until the update comes out and then try it again. If you continue to have this issue after the update, let us know and we can assist. Otherwise, you'll need to use the Analog work around for now with 1/4" cable or XLR outs.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to let me know"

So you got it, firmware 2.8 should be out before July 18

OK. Back to the discussion...So like I was saying, how dare you imply that...……….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

Tread carefully guys - there's a fellow user who occasionally comments on here, and he plays bassoon through a Helix!
You may be O.K., as I haven't seen him post anything recently and this soon just maybe a distant memory.

I'm pretty sure I can outrun him. It takes a crane, and about 12 minutes to disassemble one of those things and put it back in it's case...;)

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, brue58ski said:

The newest update is just around the corner in about two weeks or so.

The "dead" of winter...., in Australia. Well, that's close to spring lol.

Thanks for the update!

8 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I don't think that that's what people are saying. 

At least what I'm saying is MUSIC matters MORE, and music has always been about amazing rhythms that sound beautiful.  I've heard "Sweet Child of Mine" played by Slash with his gear and it's amazing tonal bliss - and I've tried to recreate it from time to time and it's awesome and it's part of WHY I love the HX line.

BUT .  .  . 

I also heard a version played once on a cheap Boss Katana and it wasn't set at all to sound like Guns and Roses - the guitar playing it was a Strat. It sounded AMAZING.

It gets worse though.

I also once heard it played on an acoustic guitar by Slash . . . . and that became my favorite version ever.

I also once heard it played on a frickin' trumpet!  It was also worth hearing.

That's what I think everyone is saying. A good song should sound good and be worth listening to no matter what gear you have (with some caveats - I'm assuming, for example, you don't play through a completely non functional amp). 

7 hours ago, datacommando said:

Oh hi guys, what's going on in this thread? (this is pre-helix me sitting in with a band that I didn't really know their music all that well)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

I'm pretty sure I can outrun him. It takes a crane, and about 12 minutes to disassemble one of those things and put it back in it's case...;)

You know you're not all that wrong, unfortunately. I'm always the last one packed up in my band. To make matters worse I also have the pedalboard, an amp, and a keyboard to put away...

You seem to know an awful lot about the instrument. ;-)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tjbassoon said:

You know you're not all that wrong, unfortunately. I'm always the last one packed up in my band. To make matters worse I also have the pedalboard, an amp, and a keyboard to put away...

You seem to know an awful lot about the instrument. ;-)

Dude, you kick it! I'll never laugh at a bassoon again! 

3 hours ago, tjbassoon said:

Oh hi guys, what's going on in this thread? (this is pre-helix me sitting in with a band that I didn't really know their music all that well)

Flip. I try to make a joke and choose a safe esoteric instrument . . . and this happens.

Bottom line, your bassoon sounds WAY better than anything my guitar has ever done. 

• Like 1

I have no doubt that if Malcolm and Angus only had access to Mesa Boogie amps, they could have dialed in a tone they like, written and recorded all their songs and sold just as many records as they did with the Marshalls.   I mean heck, didn't they prove that when they were forced to change their lead vocal sound?

Well they did use Mesa amps for awhile in the late 70,s 
They did sound like AC/DC.
But my guess is that the Mesa,s didnt have that typical Marshall early 70,s late 60,s plexi sound they wanted so they did go back to Marshall

On 6/2/2019 at 4:15 AM, DunedinDragon said:

"Updates aren't something we're ENTITLED to"

Sorry, but I beg to differ.  One of the top reasons I bought the Helix was because the community ranted about the regular updates.  Having said that, I'm fine with waiting. But Line6 can do a better job at setting customer expectations. I mean, this was announced at nam. That was a long time ago. Spring has no come and gone. And we still have no idea. All I'm saying, is set expectations. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, dvscool70 said:

...  One of the top reasons I bought the Helix was because the community ranted about the regular updates.  ...

That’s interesting. I purchased my Stomp based on the existing feature set rather than any possible future updates. 

2 hours ago, dvscool70 said:

I bought the Helix was because the community ranted about the regular updates.

Not sure what threads you've been reading, but 99.97% of the ranting that goes on around here is entitlement- driven whining about the lack of sufficiently frequent updates, and/or the substandard nature thereof, when they do finally arrive... it's practically a sport at this point. The 200 meter Freestyle Firmware Lament might just make it into the next Olympics...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Not sure what threads you've been reading, but 99.97% of the ranting that goes on around here is entitlement- driven whining about the lack of sufficiently frequent updates, and/or the substandard nature thereof, when they do finally arrive... it's practically a sport at this point. The 200 meter Freestyle Firmware Lament might just make it into the next Olympics...

Yeah...um...not really sure where the notion of Joy to the Update Cycle came from.  It's mostly "where's my pony?"-types of posting largely from people with 'Just Startin' ' beneath their names.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PiFromBRC said:

Yeah...um...not really sure where the notion of Joy to the Update Cycle came from.

From the spawn of helicopter parents...who've spent much (if not all) of their lives having limitless praise heaped upon every thought, word, and deed...no matter how absurd. Wildly unrealistic expectations are the unfortunate, yet thoroughly predictable result. Can't un-ring that bell...

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

From the spawn of helicopter parents...who've spent much (if not all) of their lives having limitless praise heaped upon every thought, word, and deed...no matter how absurd. Wildly unrealistic expectations are the unfortunate, yet thoroughly predictable result. Can't un-ring that bell...

I'm thinking this all started with participation trophies....you were entitled to one just for showing up.  Sound familiar???

• Like 1

Let's not forget it was the parents that decided to have participation trophies, not the kids. Don't blame the kids for the environment they grew up in (if the participation trophy trope wasn't thoroughly overdone anyway). Most kids that got participation trophies knew it was bulllollipop. I'm 38 years old, do I fit into that generation or no? I don't remember ever getting a participation trophy.

15 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

I'm a helicopter parent, but it has nothing to do with wanting to be. The world has become pretty cold to parents that try to let their kids free range it.  

With that said, while I do occasionally say nice things to my kids, to ensure I'm a good parent I try to be the first to bring them down, discourage them, and question their self-esteem whenever appropriate. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I'm a helicopter parent, but it has nothing to do with wanting to be. The world has become pretty cold to parents that try to let their kids free range it.  

With that said, while I do occasionally say nice things to my kids, to ensure I'm a good parent I try to be the first to bring them down, discourage them, and question their self-esteem whenever appropriate. 

Sarcasm aside, there are two excellent ways to set a kid up for failure. One is to deliberately be an a$$hole, offering nothing but condemnation. I had one of those parents.... and no one in their right mind would advocate that.

Equally ruinous however, is the opposite approach of limitless, empty praise for merely showing up and being adequate. Why? Because that vanishes the very second we dump them out into the world. And it's a simple, if not somewhat uncomfortable fact that "adequate" is what most of us are. Life is a bell curve, and the overwhelming majority of us live somewhere near the hump. Simply put, most people just aren't particularly special (and yes, I include myself. I'm not delusional)...and drilling it into their heads that they are special when it's mostly a lie, is a guaranteed recipe for disaster, every bit as much as constantly telling them that they're worthless. Lifelong exposure to ceaseless positive reinforcement, deserved or not, does nothing to prepare kids for a world that, most of the time, will not pat them on the back, even when it should. The result is often bitter, angry resentment when life doesn't turn out just as they had envisioned.

The sane approach to most things is sraight down the middle... but that's not allowed anymore. We chose one extreme or the other, until today's "expert" (aka tomorrow's village idiot) writes an article asserting that it's time to swing the pendulum back the other way... and like sheep, we dutifully follow, common sense and consequences be damned.

• Like 1

Click thread titled "...firmware..." to see if there is any recent info. Read a bunch of ranting and only one post about the thread topic. Wonder why people ask others to read threads rather than ask questions already answered.... because sifting through a thread filled with info that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic is a waste of time.

8 minutes ago, jmp22684 said:

Click thread titled "...firmware..." to see if there is any recent info. Read a bunch of ranting and only one post about the thread topic. Wonder why people ask others to read threads rather than ask questions already answered.... because sifting through a thread filled with info that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual topic is a waste of time.

Yes - threads like this are a complete waste of time if one is looking for any real information, technical or otherwise. But this exact thread appears regularly some months after every firmware release, and persists until the next release. Clearly some people find value or at least entertainment here. These aren't the type of threads that one should read before responding. Threads involving technical problems - yes.

But if your looking to waste some time and don't need that time back.  

Farking great place to visit. 

time to reheat that marginally just adequate coffee up in the microwave and finish reading page 11-12 

• Like 1