Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

I messed up.  Two of my four kids expressed interest in guitars.  I gave the first one (my oldest son) a lower-end Flying V for his thirteenth birthday, followed up a couple of years later with a small practice amp and my old ART SGX 2000 Express/Ultrafoot mfx rig (I had bought my HD500).  Now my youngest (age 7) has taken an interest in classical and I've let him use a mid-range Cordoba that I use regularly.  He's not even allowed to look at my Hill Guitar Co. flamenco.  Now he refuses to play on anything less than a $900 guitar.

Both of them have made it clear that once I join the Choir Invisible they will descend upon my guitars, amps, and rig with notable fervor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

There's no reason to force a kid to learn guitar on some piece of lollipop First Act or whatever. If a kid wants to play flute in the school band, are you gonna buy the cheapest, out of tune, hard to maintain instrument out there to see if they "really have a passion for it"? Guitarists are such a weird bunch. Some of you sound like "well back in my day, we had to learn on a plank with piano wire, no frets, and you just had to deal with the slivers". lol

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Should have pushed bass and drums... at least then they'd have work, lol. Guitar players are a dime a dozen. ;)

Oldest plays bass and 'sings' in a death metal band.  Youngest getting situated on keys and sings incessantly.  Hopefully neither of them ever aspire toward pro life.  I've been happy as hell to do the weekend warrior bit. Much more so than when I pursued it as a career back when GHW was in office.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Should have pushed bass and drums... at least then they'd have work, lol. Guitar players are a dime a dozen. ;)

Yes, we are because it's a popular instrument. But when I pick up my guitar I don't concern myself with that. I play for me. 

Can't afford to do otherwise because Id starves to death. You see I love and play mostly blues-rock. Nothing wrong with that.

Except I live in a place that has two kinds of music. Country, and Western. You could be Jimi Hendrix here and not have steady work lol.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, spikey said:

Can't afford to do otherwise because Id starves to death. You see I love and play mostly blues-rock. Nothing wrong with that.

Except I live in a place that has two kinds of music. Country, and Western. You could be Jimi Hendrix here and not have steady work lol.

That's how a lot of people wind up in Chicago.....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

There's no reason to force a kid to learn guitar on some piece of lollipop First Act or whatever. If a kid wants to play flute in the school band, are you gonna buy the cheapest, out of tune, hard to maintain instrument out there to see if they "really have a passion for it"? Guitarists are such a weird bunch. Some of you sound like "well back in my day, we had to learn on a plank with piano wire, no frets, and you just had to deal with the slivers". lol

yeah im a well back in my day person.I learned alot of guitar on a conn acoustic,My sister who was 11 years older than me worked and saved an chipped in with my parents and bought it for me.I learned simon and garfunkal John denver and started playing BTO and even Kiss on it.they saw how much I loved to play on that not so expensive piece of wood and saved enough so I can buy a Fender stratocaster.So yeah learn On a not so fancy,must stay in tune decent action acoustic and show that you love playing.

50 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

Has there been any comment from Line 6,  regarding the delay to this update, on this on this forum at all?

-

You have my personal guarantee that it will be arriving sometime between now and Doomsday.

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2019 at 11:21 AM, Verne-Bunsen said:

I'm heading out of town for a couple of weeks and sent an e-mail to Line 6 asking that they hold off on the 2.8 release until I get back. I hope you guys don't mind.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:23 AM, Verne-Bunsen said:

As I said back on.... (sound of webpages being shuffled around)... page 3 of this thread, I e-mailed Line 6 asking that they hold off on release until I get home from my work travels. I’ll be home Thursday, so brace yourself!

Duty calls once again, glad the update didn’t come out yet lest I be distracted from my appointed tasks! DI and company,  if you can keep the lid on this update for another couple of weeks I ‘d sure appreciate it. Thanks!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Hmm, did anyone else see the whole L6 site go down for a few beats there? Not to start any rumors or false hopes but I have seen this happen before right before they drop the new firmware...

Signs and portents!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Hmm, did anyone else see the whole L6 site go down for a few beats there? Not to start any rumors or false hopes but I have seen this happen before right before they drop the new firmware...

Well... they are a little late according to their announcement here in this forum... not that I really care. Still pretty happy with my Helix the way it is.

13 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

Has there been any comment from Line 6,  regarding the delay to this update, on this on this forum at all?

-

I posted this last Friday here.......

Hey, back on topic for just a moment. Just saw this.

Hi all, 

Just to let you all know that the wait is almost over. Here's the reply from a L6 support agent to ticket I opened. The issue was about the limitations of the L6link's handling by the Helix.

Quote : " I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. It's likely a firmware incompatibility. The newest update is just around the corner in about two weeks or so. You may want to wait until the update comes out and then try it again. If you continue to have this issue after the update, let us know and we can assist. Otherwise, you'll need to use the Analog work around for now with 1/4" cable or XLR outs.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to let me know"

So you got it, firmware 2.8 should be out before July 18

2 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

It’d be swell and all, but I think you’re setting yourself up for a self-induced heartbreak by interpreting “in about two weeks or so” as a hard date. But that’s just me. 

I didn't interpret it that way. The guy who posted it did. I do agree with you but I just cut and pasted.

3 hours ago, soundog said:

The signs are everywhere ..... hurricane brewing off the U.S. southern coast, a locust infestation in Iceland, sheep walking in circles , the moon turned a fiery red...

My bread came out the the toaster this morning with a perfect image of the Helix charred into it and there is an inexplicable new crop circle in my back yard.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, brue58ski said:

I posted this last Friday here.......

Hey, back on topic for just a moment. Just saw this.

Hi all, 

Just to let you all know that the wait is almost over. Here's the reply from a L6 support agent to ticket I opened. The issue was about the limitations of the L6link's handling by the Helix.

Quote : " I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue. It's likely a firmware incompatibility. The newest update is just around the corner in about two weeks or so. You may want to wait until the update comes out and then try it again. If you continue to have this issue after the update, let us know and we can assist. Otherwise, you'll need to use the Analog work around for now with 1/4" cable or XLR outs.
If you have anymore questions, feel free to let me know"

So you got it, firmware 2.8 should be out before July 18

Thanks for that brue58ski, apologies for missing your original post, but there's a lot of, err, irrelevant stuff, to wade through here. 

So nothing at all about it from Line 6 on here then.

-

This reply is not mean to insult anyone, or criticize anyone, or put anyone down for being antsy about the update; I am just genuinely curious, having read the list of anticipated updates to the unit.

What is it in the 1.8 update that people are so excited to get their hands on?

If one or more of the new amp/effect models are exciting to some, I can totally understand that, even though, for me, the unit already has a plethora of choices built in (on top of all the purchasable and free add-on content people have made for it) - but I can understand that.

None of the feature updates stood out to me as mindblowing, but rather "that would be nice".

I fully recognize that I use the unit for very limited purposes and do not stretch the capabilities of the unit very far, so I am totally curious which part of the update has people so anxious to get it? No judgment. Just curiosity.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, TheHYPO said:

This reply is not mean to insult anyone, or criticize anyone, or put anyone down for being antsy about the update; I am just genuinely curious, having read the list of anticipated updates to the unit.

If one or more of the new amp/effect models are exciting to some, I can totally understand that, even though, for me, the unit already has a plethora of choices built in (on top of all the purchasable and free add-on content people have made for it) - but I can understand that.

None of the feature updates stood out to me as mindblowing, but rather "that would be nice".

I fully recognize that I use the unit for very limited purposes and do not stretch the capabilities of the unit very far, so I am totally curious which part of the update has people so anxious to get it? No judgment. Just curiosity.

Cheers

The Revv and the Hermida is what i am interrested in king of tone aswell.

Oh and also try to control Reaper with my feet

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I didn't interpret it that way. The guy who posted it did. I do agree with you but I just cut and pasted.

My apologies for the confusion. This thread is a complicated case: lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous. Only just now do I realize that that also describes Helix...... 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TheHYPO said:

Cheers

Along with a few amp models and effects that certain people are excited about there is also the new expanded capability to use the MIDI functionality like a keyboard for triggering events in for example a DAW; this will include templates for some popular software. There is new Variax and Powercab functionality and some other features as well. The most significant element of this update is that they say they are reworking the entire Helix product line's codebase to provide a "CORE" development architecture that will hopefully allow them in the future to add new features once but that can be pushed out to all devices with minimal customization and without requiring significant separate development efforts for each Helix device e.g. Helix, LT, Stomp, etc..  The hope is that this will not only enable shorter firmware release cycles but also provide an economy of scale that prolongs the time Line6 finds it profitable to continue developing for this platform. More bang for the buck, everybody wins.

The 3.0 update rumored to be coming at some point in the future will be more new feature based and less about consolidating the code base.

Take a look at this post for more detail on what is coming in 2.8:

6 minutes ago, TheHYPO said:

Cheers

I'm not really that bothered when or if it drops, but I am curious as to whether line 6 has commented on the delay, on the forum where they post the updates and the announcement of it.

I'm also curious as to whether this forum has any moderators.  If so, is off topic no longer a concern?  Am I odd in coming to this thread expecting to read something related to the topic title?

-

11 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

I'm also curious as to whether this forum has any moderators.  If so, is off topic no longer a concern?  Am I odd in coming to this thread expecting to read something related to the topic title?

Short answer is yes!

This sort of topic derailment has gone on right from the first Helix being released into the wild.

Hang around and wait for the really weird $hit to happen!

You get used to it in the end.

21 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

I'm not really that bothered when or if it drops, but I am curious as to whether line 6 has commented on the delay, on the forum where they post the updates and the announcement of it.

-

The forum does have moderators although for most topics forum members will steer them back on course themselves when necessary. When people start acting overly earnest, speculation grows too wild, or people start whining and getting tiresome there is a tendency for things to get lightened up a bit with off topic posts.  It is a little bit like people waiting in line together at the motor vehicle administration  and chatting about the weather in the meantime. As there is no way for anyone but Line6 to tell exactly when the new firmware will arrive this topic has become somewhat informational(occasional bread crumbs get dropped) and also somewhat of a time-killing placeholder until the software arrives. If that is not your cup of tea you may prefer to avoid this topic and keep your eye peeled on the official pinned 2.8 thread(s) or follow it so you will get a notification automatically.

29 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

....If that is not your cup of tea you may prefer to avoid this topic....

I don't want to avoid the topic, which is why I click on the topic.  Why don't you guys simply open up another thread, to randomly party on and leave this thread for it's intended use?  Personally, I'd rather 3 relevant posts than hundreds of irrelevant ones.  

-

4 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

I don't want to avoid the topic, which is why I click on the topic.  Why don't you guys simply open up another thread, to randomly party on and leave this thread for it's intended use?  Personally, I'd rather 3 relevant posts than hundreds of irrelevant ones.  

-

Why don't you just subscribe to the sticky at the top of the forum

and leave the party that you apparently don't want to attend?

Somebody pass the party favors........

14 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

-

Indeed. We're bored and having fun. 

When Line 6 releases the update, there WILL be an official announcement. Until that time, the only thing possible is to party or lollipop and moan.

I don't have any lollipop in me right now.