Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

8 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Why don't you just subscribe to the sticky at the top of the forum

and leave the party that you apparently don't want to attend?

Somebody pass the party favors........

Because I'm also interested in what might be being said about the subject within this thread which, unlike the sticky, is not closed.  Surely the two are not mutually exclusive?  

-

2 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

Because I'm also interested in what might be being said about the subject within this thread which, unlike the sticky, is not closed.  Surely the two are not mutually exclusive?  

-

Ain't nothing of interest regarding the subject gonna show up here. All the official announcements from L6 have been made, to whit, "We're having some technical difficulties, working really hard to resolve them, the update will be released when it's ready."

There ya go. That's it. No mas. No up-to-the-minute reporting. It is what it is. Not ready!

So, grab you a party hat!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

I'm also curious as to whether this forum has any moderators.  If so, is off topic no longer a concern? 

-

Now I get it! You like rules. A "concern"? Sorry, but no. Not remotely. Well OK...for those infatuated with rules and the vigorous enforcement thereof, yeah...I could see how this might keep you up nights. But those of us who don't need the powers that be to shield us from anything we don't like, couldn't care less. Frankly, I can't imagine what a paralyzing existence  that must be... but I digress. An open-ended conversation amongst adults killing time and goofing around, is not the least bit "concerning".

Regardless, it's beyond unlikely that you'll succeed in pi$$ing out this particular campfire.  Best of luck though!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Now I get it! You like rules. A "concern"? Nope. Not remotely. Well OK...for those infatuated with rules and the vigorous enforcement thereof, yeah...I could see how this would keep you up nights. But for those of us who don't need to petition the powers that be to be shielded from anything we don't like... nah, couldn't care less. Frankly I can't imagine how exhausting that must be... but to each their own. Either way, you're exceedingly unlikely to succeed in pi$$ing out this particular campfire... best of luck though!

Did they get back from the beer run yet? Hope they didn't get lost.......by the time they get back, 2.8'll be out!

Advanced issues found

22 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

Has there been any comment from Line 6,  regarding the delay to this update, on this on this forum at all?

You will know when we do. Until then eat pickles. I hear they are good for the blues... Or was that being blue makes pickles taste better?

I always get those mixed up...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

apologies for missing your original post, but there's a lot of, err, irrelevant stuff, to wade through here. 

Irrelevant stuff ?!? Really? We were talking about pickles were we not? 

3 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

You cannot, truly, have turned up here expecting to find any actual info about 2.80

Here ya go!

10 hours ago, soundog said:

The signs are everywhere ..... hurricane brewing off the U.S. southern coast, a locust infestation in Iceland, sheep walking in circles , the moon turned a fiery red...

Speaking of the moon, it completely disappeared for about half the day every day this week...so did the Sun. Things are getting spooky around here.

• Haha 1

I wonder if this update is taking so long because... it's the last one or is, at least, the last iteration of the firmware because this last version will be squeezing the most out of the Helix. We might get a patch or two afterwards but nothing major because the next major revision will require newer hardware - the next iteration of the Helix.  Think about it.  The Helix was release June 11 2015. That was 4 years ago and that's a long time in tech years.

I mean, I'd be ok with it.  I just can't help but wonder.

23 minutes ago, hideout said:

I wonder if this update is taking so long because... it's the last one or is, at least, the last iteration of the firmware because this last version will be squeezing the most out of the Helix. We might get a patch or two afterwards but nothing major because the next major revision will require newer hardware - the next iteration of the Helix.  Think about it.  The Helix was release June 11 2015. That was 4 years ago and that's a long time in tech years.

I severely doubt that's the case.  There wouldn't be much incentive to harmonize the code amongst all the hx products if they were just going to give us this one last update.   The main reason for bringing all the products in line is to make updates easier.  There's still lots they can do...

20 hours ago, hideout said:

Half the team is already working on 2.90, so no.

EDIT: No, putting them all on 2.80 would slow down its release.

10 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Now I get it! You like rules. A "concern"? Sorry, but no. Not remotely. Well OK...for those infatuated with rules and the vigorous enforcement thereof, yeah...I could see how this might keep you up nights. But those of us who don't need the powers that be to shield us from anything we don't like, couldn't care less. Frankly, I can't imagine what a paralyzing existence  that must be... but I digress. An open-ended conversation amongst adults killing time and goofing around, is not the least bit "concerning".

Regardless, it's beyond unlikely that you'll succeed in pi$$ing out this particular campfire.  Best of luck though!

You clearly don't get it.  This is basic common courtesy to other users, standard forum etiquette, and for good reason too.  Judging by your rather unpleasant attitude, I'd say I've touched a nerve and you know my point is entirely valid, but you simply don't care, you're having your fun and that's all that matters to you.  My 6 year old also exhibits this kind of behaviour from time to time, I hope she grows out of it before she's your age.

-

Andy, I could be wrong but I think you are the one who doesn't get it and is wearing your feelings on your sleeves for some reason. It's recognizable because I've done the same and it never really works out. Relax and please understand that this place isn't sitting at your kitchen table, or in a church. Its an "Internet forum" and it's not the same environment. Add all that to also being wound too tight is causing you much heartburn here I think. Cru was not mad at you. As he said, "we are just killing time waiting for the patch". So take off those tight azz jeans and air it out, K bud? Peace-  ; )

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

You clearly don't get it.  This is basic common courtesy to other users, standard forum etiquette, and for good reason too.  Judging by your rather unpleasant attitude, I'd say I've touched a nerve and you know my point is entirely valid, but you simply don't care, you're having your fun and that's all that matters to you.  My 6 year old also exhibits this kind of behaviour from time to time, I hope she grows out of it before she's your age.

-

And oddly enough I have a 36 year old son that gets upset and critical of everyone when the world doesn't work the way HE thinks it should...I'm hoping he grows out of that too!!!!

5 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

-

Thank you for proving my point...

Ok folks, you heard the man... from now on it's urinal rules in here. Eyes front, no talking! ;) Anything outside the scope of the thread topic, no matter how innocuous, is a "breach of etiquette", and shall not be tolerated. I wonder if Emily Post would have survived thet internet age....

I really shouldn't have to explain this, but here we go. This is a world wide forum, for everyone. All nationalities, races, creeds, ages, able bodied, disabled, etc, everybody. Now, amongst all of those are going to be people who do not have the time or ability to wade through reams of guff, to find the posts which should, as designated by the title, be the only ones (or the majority at least) there. People may have sight problems, dyslexia, autism, any number of things which make browsing more difficult for them than others.

Now I know some of you guys think that this forum is your own personal domain, and so the rules, which are there to make things accessible and run smoothly for everyone, don't apply to you. Well, it isn't and they do. Not simply for the sake of it, but so that EVERYONE is able to get the most out of the forum.

Nobody wants you to stop partying, by all means party away. But please, remember that there are lots of people out there who struggle to read on screen text, and try to give them a little thought and empathy along the way.

-

• Upvote 2

Yup... neuter all conversation just in case 0.17% of those who happen upon the discussion can't cope with the fact that "upsetting" or "off topic" words have been spoken. That'll make the world a better place. Everyone make sure that you're catering to everyone and everything under the sun with every thought, word and deed.... because absolutely everything you say or do, no matter how benign, is guaranteed to be a personal affront to someone, somewhere... and you should be appropriately ashamed. In advance. We are all terrible people,  and God help us if we haven't taken every conceivable circumstance into consideration before we talk about the weather, when we're "supposed" to be talking firmware. And especially if it's a Tuesday. It's offensive to discuss the weather in the Madagascar on Tuesdays... and you don't want that on your conscience.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... that'll make the world a better place. Everyone make sure that you're catering to everyone and everything under the sun with every thought, word and deed.... because absolutely everything you say or do, no matter how benign, is guaranteed to be a personal affront to someone, somewhere... and you should be appropriately ashamed. We are all terrible people,  and God help us if we haven't taken every conceivable circumstance into consideration before we talk about the weather, when we're "supposed" to be talking firmware. And especially if it's a Tuesday. It's offensive to discuss the weather in the Madagascar on Tuesdays.

I hope you never suffer the misfortune which it would clearly take for you to appreciate the current depth of your own ignorance.

-

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Andy1175 said:

I hope you never suffer the misfortune which it would clearly take for you to appreciate the current depth of your own ignorance.

So you come here b!tching about forum etiquette, but then continue to derail this thread without starting a new one with the proper subject line?   

• Haha 4

Just now, lungho said:

So you come here b!tching about forum etiquette, but then continue to derail this thread without starting a new one with the proper subject line?   

I know, it's painfully ironic, isn't it.  :)

-

• Haha 1

-

And theres it is...the self-appointed saviors of the earth can never avoid sanctimoniousness and flagrant hypocrisy for very long. We clearly disagree, yet I haven't found it necessary to call you names. So remind me, who's the bad guy again? Us ignorant folk get confused so easily. Also, I'm sad now...and your thoughtless, callous posts are responsible for my fragile emotional state.... perhaps if you were more empathetic, this wouldn't have happened.

If the wrong crusaders see any of this, you might get drummed out of the "Look Ma, I'm Caring!" Society. Then what?

• Upvote 1

We're all missing a biggie that was snuck in here...

2.9!!! TWO POINT NINE!!!!!

When's it coming? What's in it? I need it this very second.  My HX is almost unusable now I know there's a 2.9 coming...

:)

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DodgeGB said:

When's it coming? What's in it? I need it this very second.  My HX is almost unusable now I know there's a 2.9 coming...

I hope they add the "brown note" effect in 2.9.  I'm surprised it hasn't already been requested.  

7 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

-

I'm going to remind you ONE MORE TIME, that there's a STICKY at the top of the forum where news about the update will be posted by L6 when there's important news to post. 

This thread shouldn't even exist. It's NOT the place to look for news about the update. But, since it does exist, we're having fun with it.

Your attempts to make us feel bad about ourselves because of the possibility that some handicapped person might not be able to find the IMPORTANT NEWS that WON"T BE IN THIS THREAD ANYWAY is pretty self serving in my eyes - "Andy, the defender of the helpless" is a bunch of BS to make YOU feel good about yourself.

As Spikey said "...take off those tight azz jeans and air it out, K bud? Peace-  ; )"

• Upvote 3

Now I know some of you guys think that this forum is your own personal domain, and so the rules, which are there to make things accessible and run smoothly for everyone, don't apply to you. Well, it isn't and they do. Not simply for the sake of it, but so that EVERYONE is able to get the most out of the forum.

Nobody wants you to stop partying, by all means party away. But please, remember that there are lots of people out there who struggle to read on screen text, and try to give them a little thought and empathy along the way.

First of all, it's pretty arrogant of you to KNOW what people think. You don't KNOW me or anyone else on this forum. Nor what I or they think, nor why. Second, where are these rules that you reference posted at in the Line 6 website? Let me read them. Or are you speaking of rules some other people have come up with to ensure that all of us ne'er do wells keep in line. Third, when did you become the forum police? Fourth, if this seems like a party to you, I do not envy your life. Fifth, if people do struggle to read, the aforementioned sticky will help the to avoid all of this chit chat. The amount of pages should have indicated to someone as experienced and knowledgeable about forums, as you seem to think you are, that there was more going on here than just the upgrade date.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, DodgeGB said:

2.9 will come with a lifetime membership in the Cheese Wheel of the Month Club.

Assuming that the lactose intolerant among us don't riot, of course... they might feel left out. ;)

• Haha 1

I really shouldn't have to explain this, but here we go. This is a world wide forum, for everyone. All nationalities, races, creeds, ages, able bodied, disabled, etc, everybody. Now, amongst all of those are going to be people who do not have the time or ability to wade through reams of guff, to find the posts which should, as designated by the title, be the only ones (or the majority at least) there. People may have sight problems, dyslexia, autism, any number of things which make browsing more difficult for them than others.

-

I've spent more than 20 years on online forums. Based on my experience (and yeah, it's my anecdotal experience) you are sputtering nonsense. 

Throughout my time on forums, wherever it was, there were always people who tried to be strict and police the thread, as you seem to be trying to do. It was always the same result though . . . a fruitless waste of time.  Each forum has a culture and how much derailment that culture is cool with, but once that is clearly established it runs itself. 

I've also never subscribed to the belief that it hurts anybody.  It does not. People are smart and can use their brains and quickly figure out where official news is, and where it isn't. Now, it IRRITATES some people. SOME people. Not all people. That's it though. There are plenty of forums I don't touch because their culture is definitely not mine, and I move on. You're wasting your breath if you hope to change that.

Most of us here see nothing wrong with this thread's current direction (other than the new complaints about this thread). I still can't fathom why you keep going on and on about it. You made your case, one or two people agree with you, but it's not enough to make things swing your way. 

Move on. 

• Upvote 3

-

I can't believe you actually let yourself hit the submit button on this one.  It's just so ridiculous.  The epitome of grasping at straws...

1 hour ago, DodgeGB said:

Don't go worrying about that new fangled 2.90 thing.

DI said half the team are working on that, which means the crew left to finish off the delivery of 2.80 are 50% down on manpower.

Suppose the "half of the team" figure doesn't amount to much really.

DI could just as easily said "one of the guys is working on 2.9, while the other wraps up 2.8"

;-)

EDIT:

The really big news for today is my rotary selector for editing has just decided to die! It will still jog but no rotation function - can still edit via the software on the Mac so I can manage for a while. Damn! The UK Service have closed for the weekend 15 minute ago, can't get things rolling till next week. 

2 minutes ago, datacommando said:

DI said half the team are working on that, which means the crew left to finish off the delivery of 2.80 are 50% down on manpower.

DI could just as easily said "one of the guys is working on 2.9, while the other wraps up 2.8"

;-)

What if the 2.9 people finish BEFORE the 2.8 people? Then what will happen? ;D

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, datacommando said:

;-)

For all we know, it's one guy on the team, and he's ambidextrous. 

• Haha 2