Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Firmware 2.80

manix1979

3 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... neuter all conversation just in case 0.17% of those who happen upon the discussion can't cope with the fact that "upsetting" or "off topic" words have been spoken. That'll make the world a better place. Everyone make sure that you're catering to everyone and everything under the sun with every thought, word and deed.... because absolutely everything you say or do, no matter how benign, is guaranteed to be a personal affront to someone, somewhere... and you should be appropriately ashamed. In advance. We are all terrible people,  and God help us if we haven't taken every conceivable circumstance into consideration before we talk about the weather, when we're "supposed" to be talking firmware. And especially if it's a Tuesday. It's offensive to discuss the weather in the Madagascar on Tuesdays... and you don't want that on your conscience.

Because nothing says un-neutered and life affirming like off topic ramblings fueled by the egos of the unempathetic. LOL

So, any news on 2.8 progress?

9 minutes ago, PDKTDK said:

Because nothing says un-neutered and life affirming like off topic ramblings fueled by the egos of the unempathetic. LOL

Empathy should be a two way street. Most of the time when people complain about empathy they're really just demanding a one way road. 

I was about to tell you the latest "official" anything about 2.8 and I was culling the "Gear Page" thread to share it with you. It was a few days ago and it mentioned they'd hit a last minute bug blocker.

Yet as I was culling it I saw that you also peruse that thread, which ALSO derails a lot.  So you know as much as any of us. 

4 hours ago, PDKTDK said:

Think and say what you will. Nobody is trying to silence you or the caped crusader above... he can drone on about everyone else's alleged "insensitivity" until he's blue in the face. However, he's openly attempting to gag the rest of us if we don't conform to his vision of what's "acceptable". And therein lies the difference. I took issue with his opinion... but I didn't tell him he's not allowed to express it, nor did I comment on his mental capacity. That was all him. If pretending that there's no difference between us is what gets you to sleep at night... knock yourself out. I don't care either way. Enjoy your day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Think and say what you will. Nobody is trying to silence you or the caped crusader above... he can whine about everyone else's insensitivity until he's blue in the face. However, he's openly attempting to gag the rest of us if we don't conform to his vision of what's "acceptable". And therein lies the difference. Enjoy your day.

It can be argued that there are different forums for different purposes.  Small talk versus technical forums for instance.  No one is necessarily wrong in their opinions. Not necessarily anyway. 

His point(s) is as valid as anyone’s and he doesn’t use his point to justify his own behavior. 

Now I've derailed it. 

Have a good weekend. 

4 minutes ago, PDKTDK said:

It can be argued that there are different forums for different purposes.  Small talk versus technical forums for instance.  No one is necessarily wrong in their opinions. Not necessarily anyway. 

His point(s) is as valid as anyone’s and he doesn’t use his point to justify his own behavior. 

Now I've derailed it. 

Have a good weekend. 

He didn't just make a point. He claimed to know what people were thinking and attempted to insult people in what appeared to be a self righteous way. It was way more the presentation than the point that was attempted to be made that caused the reaction I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PDKTDK said:

Making a point is fine and dandy. We all do that here... constantly, lol. But, hoisting oneself upon the moral high ground and acting as if this self-proclaimed status is a birthright to dictate behavior, while denigrating "lesser" people in the process, is quite another. That's not "making a point", it's "punishing the wicked" so that he can pad what is already a comically overblown and thoroughly undeserved swell opinion of himself. It is self serving hypocrisy writ large.

Most people, unless they're paying tuition, don't much care for being lectured by the high and mighty.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, brue58ski said:

He didn't just make a point. He claimed to know what people were thinking and attempted to insult people in what appeared to be a self righteous way. It was way more the presentation than the point that was attempted to be made that caused the reaction I think.

Exactly. Since the discussion didn't follow "the rules", and didn't instantly yield the info he wanted, he decided it was his place to scold those responsible. And my, what courage it took to confront all of us stupid, insensitive clods from a laptop in the depths of the internet (do you suppose the internet is as deep as my ignorance? Lmao) ... Imagine trying the same thing when you overhear a conversation you don't like down at your favorite watering hole. How do you suppose that would play out? People f'in baffle me...

41 minutes ago, PDKTDK said:

Now I've derailed it. 

Have a good weekend. 

Good point (there are different forums for different purposes)!

His point is invalid!

This thread was NEVER an OFFICIAL L6 thread. It was, from the beginning, about user commentary. Some complained, others defended, occasionally DI jumped in to clarify something for someone. But it was never the OFFICIAL source of information. His point is based entirely on the idea that this thread IS somehow official and should be devoted to official pronouncements, and that someone might be inconvenienced by not being able to find the information they should be looking for in the sticky without wading through  a lot of "irrelevant stuff".

The OFFICIAL L6 thread for announcements concerning release 2.8 is the sticky at the top of the forum, a fact that he steadfastly refuses to acknowledge, then accuses everyone else of "breach of etiquette" and other gross crimes against humanity! Thereby, using his invalid point to justify his own behavior!

My coconut is empty.....need more rum!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

There is no one here bothered about that anymore, now we’re all waiting for 2.90.

Here's an uncomfortable thought...what if that one's "late", too? Gigs I haven't booked yet might be affected! Who's addressing this potential for catastrophe that may never actually affect a living soul? I spent money, dammit! I want the unanswerable answered! ;)

5 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

I really shouldn't have to explain this, but here we go. This is a world wide forum, for everyone. All nationalities, races, creeds, ages, able bodied, disabled, etc, everybody. Now, amongst all of those are going to be people who do not have the time or ability to wade through reams of guff, to find the posts which should, as designated by the title, be the only ones (or the majority at least) there. People may have sight problems, dyslexia, autism, any number of things which make browsing more difficult for them than others.

Now I know some of you guys think that this forum is your own personal domain, and so the rules, which are there to make things accessible and run smoothly for everyone, don't apply to you. Well, it isn't and they do. Not simply for the sake of it, but so that EVERYONE is able to get the most out of the forum.

Nobody wants you to stop partying, by all means party away. But please, remember that there are lots of people out there who struggle to read on screen text, and try to give them a little thought and empathy along the way.

AND LATER.....

-I hope you never suffer the misfortune which it would clearly take for you to appreciate the current depth of your own ignorance.

I mean, this just screams of "You should be tolerant of others.  Now that I know you're intolerant of other people's feelings, I'm going to be intolerant towards you!"  Where have I seen this kind of behavior before?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cruisinon2 said:

In "safe spaces" and "free speech zones" across this great land of ours... has anyone seen my emotional support 3 toed sloth? ;)

This weekend I'm flying to Michigan for my mom's 90th B'day. I had intended to bring a guitar so that I could play for her, as she's never heard me on guitar - only bass, and you know the old joke - "What's more boring than a 20 minute drum solo? A 2 minute bass solo!"

Anyhow, I knew I'd have to rent an amp when I got there, but:

My Steinberger, a throw it in the overhead travel guitar when I bought it 15 years ago, is now 6 inches too long. NOBODY makes a hard case for it anymore.

My Strat has a TSA approved flight case with the special TSA locks and everything. Measured without the latches and hinges it's EXACTLY the right size to check in for the usual $30 baggage charge. If you measure it at the hinges/latches, it's ONE INCH OVER! One inch = additional $150! $180 to bring my guitar in it's VERY expensive TSA approved case!

I wound up renting a guitar too, much cheaper & lots less hassle.

BUT - I"d bet that if I wanted to take my emotional support 3 toed sloth I'd have no problem at all!

Not that 3 toed sloths shouldn't have the same right to fly as the rest of us......

9 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

I really shouldn't have to explain this, but here we go. This is a world wide forum, for everyone. All nationalities, races, creeds, ages, able bodied, disabled, etc, everybody. Now, amongst all of those are going to be people who do not have the time or ability to wade through reams of guff, to find the posts which should, as designated by the title, be the only ones (or the majority at least) there. People may have sight problems, dyslexia, autism, any number of things which make browsing more difficult for them than others.

Now I know some of you guys think that this forum is your own personal domain, and so the rules, which are there to make things accessible and run smoothly for everyone, don't apply to you. Well, it isn't and they do. Not simply for the sake of it, but so that EVERYONE is able to get the most out of the forum.

Nobody wants you to stop partying, by all means party away. But please, remember that there are lots of people out there who struggle to read on screen text, and try to give them a little thought and empathy along the way.

-

I try to stay out of these disagreements generally but this is just a disgustingly cynical and manipulative invocation of some genuinely laudable principles to serve your own ends. Those ends appear to be an intense need to control others and get attention. You have now essentially called everyone a racist, ageist, and abuser of people with disabilities because they did not stick to your unrealistically rigid view that this should be a strictly technical conversation.  Any genuine advocate of these principles of tolerance, unity, and equal access would never degrade them and reduce their future effectiveness for such a trivial purpose as imposing their own myopic will on a forum. This kind of selfishness is exactly the behavior that robs worthy principles of support and reduces them to the status of "snowflake".  I believe using them in this manner demonstrates a fundamental lack of comprehension of or adherence to these values. A self-serving appeal to these principles for no purpose other than to get others in this forum to comply with you is irresponsible and completely lacking credibility, 

If you observe most forums you will notice that there tends to be an almost organic ebb and flow to many topics. In this case because the new firmware has become a bit of a waiting game there have been some welcome distractions and digressions along the way as the topic could not possibly sustain only a technical conversation for this duration with so little information available. This organic process also seems to unfortunately often include at least one person who feels they know better than everyone else how the topic should be conducted. Nonetheless, despite the risk of being no more than a cliche you charge into things and attempt to redefine courtesy and etiquette as requiring everyone to accede to your ridiculous commands to shut up and stand up straight in line when you could instead simply meander over to the links with which you were courteously provided that better suit your stated interest and temperament. That indeed would have been real courtesy instead of berating everyone else. Your posts remind me of a a certain personality type - it is a type abhorrent to most artists and musicians as it seeks to control, stifle, and smother.  I hope you prove me wrong if you continue to post in this forum. Anyway, you are entitled to state your opinion and I hope you find a way to do it in the future without implying everyone else is some kind of immoral something"ist" for not agreeing with you over such a petty matter.  I appreciate everyone who has shown patience, humor, and provided welcome diversion while we wait for the next firmware. Party on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I try to stay out of these disagreements generally but this is just a disgustingly cynical and manipulative invocation of some genuinely laudable principles to serve your own ends. Those ends appear to be an intense need to control others and get attention. You have now essentially called everyone a racist, ageist, and abuser of people with disabilities because they did not stick to your unrealistically rigid view that this should be a strictly technical conversation.  Any genuine advocate of these principles of tolerance, unity, and equal access would never degrade them and reduce their future effectiveness for such a trivial purpose as imposing their own myopic will on a technical forum. This kind of selfishness is exactly the behavior that robs worthy principles of support and reduces them to the status of "snowflake".  I believe using them in this manner demonstrates a fundamental lack of comprehension or adherence to these values. A self-serving appeal to these principles for no purpose other than to get others in this forum to comply with you is irresponsible and completely lacking credibility, 

If you observe most forums you will notice that there tends to be an almost organic ebb and flow to many topics. In this case because the new firmware has become a bit of a waiting game there have been some welcome distractions and digressions along the way as the topic could not possibly sustain only a technical conversation for this duration with so little information available. This organic process also seems to unfortunately often include at least one person who feels they know better than everyone else how the topic should be conducted. Nonetheless, despite the risk of being no more than a cliche you charge into things and attempt to redefine courtesy and etiquette as requiring everyone to accede to your ridiculous commands to shut up and stand up straight in line when you could instead simply meander over to the links with which you were courteously provided that better suit your stated interest and temperament. That indeed would have been real courtesy instead of berating everyone else. Your posts remind me of a a certain personality type - it is a type abhorrent to most artists and musicians as it seeks to control, stifle, and smother.  I hope you prove me wrong if you continue to post in this forum. Anyway, you are entitled to state your opinion and I hope you find a way to do it in the future without implying everyone else is some kind of immoral something"ist" for not agreeing with you over such a petty matter.  Party on!

Nonononono.  Too wordy.  Let's tighten that baby up a bit:

Yo Andy!  Stop being such a sanctimonious pric{<, yo.  Subscribe to the L6T post.  You want to look for tidbits of information in this thread?  Cool.  Get on your waders. 

Of course I mean that in a totally woke, new millennium, hashtag-friendly way.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PiFromBRC said:

Nonononono.  Too wordy.  Let's tighten that baby up a bit:

Yo Andy!  Stop being such a sanctimonious pric{<, yo.  Subscribe to the L6T post.  You want to look for tidbits of information in this thread?  Cool.  Get on your waders. 

Of course I mean that in a totally woke, new millennium, hashtag-friendly way.

LOL, concision was never my thing.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Andy1175 said:

[...]

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Oozing from safe spaces" and "free speech zones" across this great land of ours... has anyone seen my emotional support 3 toed sloth? ;)

I have a sincere suggestion (below). I generally agree with opinions like the latter quoted above more than I do opinions like the former, but I am not altogether without sympathy for the visually impaired/disabled. Having read and contributed to this forum for a while now, I can tell you that this 2.80 thread is just like every the other user-posted firmware update threads: The first person on here who notices an upcoming firmware announcement quickly posts a new thread preposterously claiming that the wait has already been too long, followed either by spikey asking whether the editor will have a tuner or someone wondering why spikey hasn't chimed in yet and asked whether the editor will have a tuner. And a debate will always start by the end of page 2 about why we already have more than enough [clean/high gain] amps like the new models and and Line 6 should instead release more [clean/high gain] which we don'g have nearly enough of yet,  The point is, regulars know these user-created firmware threads are part of a running gag where we blow off anticipation-related steam, joke around, debate the usefulness of the new features, generally mingle, have the occasional salient debate about music, and from time to time get tidbits of new information about expected release dates from DI, which most of us promptly, but respectfully, assume will also be overrun. Oh, and we also like to get real technical about when seasons begin and end.

My suggestion is this:  First, be aware that these threads are not intended by most users as genuine sources of new information. That said, I can only speak for myself, but if anyone wants to open a separate thread for the express purpose of hosting only germane information, if it is clearly labeled as such, I will respect that. If the thread title is something like "2.X firmware thread for visually impaired AND YOU ARE A MAJOR INSENSITIVE HOSER IF YOU DERAIL THIS ONE," I suspect most regulars would be happy to respect it as well.

Edited by rzumwalt
Fixed joke at spikey's expense.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DodgeGB said:

So...no asking if it will have a coffee machine added?

Well...I think the visually impaired would be interested on any coffee machine related information, so that would be fair game, right? Maybe I haven't thought this all the way through yet.

1 hour ago, HonestOpinion said:

I try to stay out of these disagreements generally but this is just a disgustingly cynical and manipulative invocation of some genuinely laudable principles to serve your own ends. Those ends appear to be an intense need to control others and get attention. You have now essentially called everyone a racist, ageist, and abuser of people with disabilities because they did not stick to your unrealistically rigid view that this should be a strictly technical conversation.  Any genuine advocate of these principles of tolerance, unity, and equal access would never degrade them and reduce their future effectiveness for such a trivial purpose as imposing their own myopic will on a forum. This kind of selfishness is exactly the behavior that robs worthy principles of support and reduces them to the status of "snowflake".  I believe using them in this manner demonstrates a fundamental lack of comprehension of or adherence to these values. A self-serving appeal to these principles for no purpose other than to get others in this forum to comply with you is irresponsible and completely lacking credibility, 

If you observe most forums you will notice that there tends to be an almost organic ebb and flow to many topics. In this case because the new firmware has become a bit of a waiting game there have been some welcome distractions and digressions along the way as the topic could not possibly sustain only a technical conversation for this duration with so little information available. This organic process also seems to unfortunately often include at least one person who feels they know better than everyone else how the topic should be conducted. Nonetheless, despite the risk of being no more than a cliche you charge into things and attempt to redefine courtesy and etiquette as requiring everyone to accede to your ridiculous commands to shut up and stand up straight in line when you could instead simply meander over to the links with which you were courteously provided that better suit your stated interest and temperament. That indeed would have been real courtesy instead of berating everyone else. Your posts remind me of a a certain personality type - it is a type abhorrent to most artists and musicians as it seeks to control, stifle, and smother.  I hope you prove me wrong if you continue to post in this forum. Anyway, you are entitled to state your opinion and I hope you find a way to do it in the future without implying everyone else is some kind of immoral something"ist" for not agreeing with you over such a petty matter.  Anyway, I appreciate everyone who has shown patience, humor, and provided welcome diversion while we wait for the next firmware. Party on!

Bravo, sir. Well said.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rzumwalt said:

If the thread title is something like "2.X firmware thread for visually impaired AND YOU ARE A MAJOR INSENSITIVE HOSER IF YOU DERAIL THIS ONE," I suspect most regulars would be happy to respect it as well.

We'd have no choice but to respect it... it would be completely devoid of replies. How do you find fault with a vacuum of nothingness? ;)

So just a question, it was mentioned on this or another forum that the main issue was  some of the implementations they were adding, not so much the new models. So when does if ever line6 decide the issue is not going to be solved in a short time and breaks up the update, just releasing new models and such.

6 hours ago, woolyninja said:

I'm new to the Helix side of things - are all threads an emotional roller coaster like this one? So many twists and turns, not sure I can take it.

Nope, this thread is pretty special. One day Leeloo will use it to better understand humanity and it will make her sad.

mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,750x1000,f

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lefttygtr said:

So when does if ever line6 decide the issue is not going to be solved in a short time and breaks up the update, just releasing new models and such.

On the second Tuesday with a full moon, after Mardi Gras. Unless it's raining. Then it's anybody's guess...;)

Seriously though, just in case it wasn't obvious from the preceding 16 pages of madness, nobody here knows how or why L6 does anything. All we can do is guess.

In the meantime, hug a cow... apparently it's all the rage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/12/style/self-care/cow-cuddling-therapy.html

3 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Nope, this thread is pretty special. One day Leeloo will use it to better understand humanity and it will make her sad.

mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,750x1000,f

Well, That's it!!!!

You sir, have won the thread. LOL. 

That was a cool scene in that movie btw. Very intense.

This movie is one of those movies I watched over, and over when I was younger. Now, you make me want to watch it again! Of course I will picture this thread being a part of that particular scene.

@Soundog - You weren't the only one ;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you observe most forums you will notice that there tends to be an almost organic ebb and flow to many topics. In this case because the new firmware has become a bit of a waiting game there have been some welcome distractions and digressions along the way as the topic could not possibly sustain only a technical conversation for this duration with so little information available. This organic process also seems to unfortunately often include at least one person who feels they know better than everyone else how the topic should be conducted. Nonetheless, despite the risk of being no more than a cliche you charge into things and attempt to redefine courtesy and etiquette as requiring everyone to accede to your ridiculous commands to shut up and stand up straight in line when you could instead simply meander over to the links with which you were courteously provided that better suit your stated interest and temperament. That indeed would have been real courtesy instead of berating everyone else. Your posts remind me of a a certain personality type - it is a type abhorrent to most artists and musicians as it seeks to control, stifle, and smother.  I hope you prove me wrong if you continue to post in this forum. Anyway, you are entitled to state your opinion and I hope you find a way to do it in the future without implying everyone else is some kind of immoral something"ist" for not agreeing with you over such a petty matter.  I appreciate everyone who has shown patience, humor, and provided welcome diversion while we wait for the next firmware. Party on!

Well said, and thank you for it.

I actually do have some Dyslexia, and at times it has been a pain in the lollipop growing up, but I don't let it hold me back. I surely don't expect the forum to conform to it. That I find extreme. I just don't want the forum to have the letters dancing around. LOL. 

Oddly enough, I (not properly diagnosed) and most my family agree that "I am on the spectrum" as well.  I do not really see how that has much of any thing to do with any of this except it will color/influence my posts. I don't expect change from a forum, or the members, for my sake. (what would that even be anyway?)

I guess my point is I am not sure who he was posting that for. (other than obviously himself)

I mean I fit the whole shabang, lol I even wear glasses too, got dry eye problems as well.   While I have posted something in the past about my opinions about the attitudes in forums (in general) I don't expect the forums to change, I simply adjust myself to spend less time in them. (Ironic with the post, right)

What you said rings so true. I am tired of seeing those truly worthwhile principles get belittled, especially from those who recite them while doing so. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Well, That's it!!!!

You sir, have won the thread. LOL. 

That was a cool scene in that movie btw. Very intense.

This movie is one of those movies I watched over, and over when I was younger. Now, you make me want to watch it again! Of course I will picture this thread being a part of that particular scene.

@Soundog - You weren't the only one ;)

I too carried a torch for Leeloo. It is a great movie! I apologize in advance if that scene reminds you of this thread now, I know I’ll probably chuckle next time I watch it.