Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500x Foot Switch Assignment

fr2632

Hey guys,

How can I assign a patch to a foot switch ? For example: I want the 'Wham Me' patch (located in FX HEAVY set lists, number 8C) on the FS1 and when I press the FS1, wherever I am in the configuration, or whatever I am doing, I want to use the "Wham Me" effect, how can I do that ? This should be possible in order to quickly switch patches. I watched the video tutorial but it wasn't helpful.

Thank you in advance!

The bottom row of footswitches (5-8) can be used to select presets A-D in the current bank of presets. The behaviour of FS5 through FS8 is determined by the FS Mode setting on page 1 of the Setup menus. When set to ABCD these footswitches will switch presets; when set to FS5-8 they will turn FX5 through FX8 on/off.

This means you cannot use FS1 to recall any preset. Using your example above, you would set your FS Mode to ABCD, then navigate to FX HEAVY Bank 8. Footswitches A through D will instantly select the associated presets in Bank 8. Use the C footswitch to select the Wham Me preset.

• 1 year later...

I am having a similar problem.

if you have in your FX block - delay distortion and a reverb. Can you only assign these to a footswitch once.

I am trying to assign the distortion to 4 different FS.

FS1 - dist, FS2 dist and delay, FS3 dist and reverb and FS4 have all three.

is this possible or do you need to have a separate distortion in the effect block each time you want to assign it to a FS?

I am having a similar problem.

if you have in your FX block - delay distortion and a reverb. Can you only assign these to a footswitch once.

I am trying to assign the distortion to 4 different FS.

FS1 - dist, FS2 dist and delay, FS3 dist and reverb and FS4 have all three.

is this possible or do you need to have a separate distortion in the effect block each time you want to assign it to a FS?

Yes. The only way to achieve the effect you want is by assigning 4 separate distortions (can be the same e.g. screamer) to the 4 footswitches then adding your other effects to the appropriate one. This would mean also having 2 separate delays and 2 separate reverbs though. Not sure about DSP limits.

FS1 Distortion 1

FS2 Distortion 2 + Delay 1

FS3 Distortion 3 + Reverb 1

FS4 Distortion 4 + Delay 2 + Reverb 2

That uses up all your fx blocks.....seems a shame really!

What he said. 

But, as a point of reference: 

F1~4 (and F1~8) are capable of running at the same time. It's not like turning one on and the other disengages. 

So set up your distortion to run, and then you can use 1 for reverb and 2 for delay. Use 1+2 for both. 

If you were to set a distortion on each pedal with different fx attached to each one, you could have up to 8 distortions running at the same time. And that may not lead to a desirable sound. 

....or you could write each one as a separate patch and toggle between them as you need? Would get rid of any DSP issue and 'layering' of distortions. Fits neatly in one bank of patches too.

Probably not the best idea depending on what he wants to use it for... 

If these changes are to take place within a song, there could be some brief sonic issues to contend with. 

If you're switching patches between songs, then absolutely, using separate patches is king. 

Probably not the best idea depending on what he wants to use it for... 

If these changes are to take place within a song, there could be some brief sonic issues to contend with. 

If you're switching patches between songs, then absolutely, using separate patches is king. 

Personally, I find the switching between patches within a song pretty quick and seamless, as long as the patches aren't crazy complex.  I certainly don't hear any delay or glitching when I'm playing rock with the band making all of their noise.  I'd recommend the OP try it and see.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I find the switching between patches within a song pretty quick and seamless, as long as the patches aren't crazy complex.  I certainly don't hear any delay or glitching when I'm playing rock with the band making all of their noise.  I'd recommend the OP try it and see.

this is true.

i'm running at least two patches per song (genre: classic rock);

on several occasions i may even have 4 patches (eg Hotel California).

Yeah, I've seen a lot of posts on these forums about the delay when switching patch being a big problem. When practising with no backing it does sound pretty bad but I find that in a live situation the rest of the band members tend to mask the gap to make it unnoticeable.

Which is why I used the disclaimer:

"depending on what he wants to use it for" 

I mostly use multiple patches instead of on/off. But I have some patches that give issue, and some patches that have too much going on that need two totally separate creations.  

Thanks guys, Much appreciated info.

What I am trying to get away from is separate patches and just have one set up that I can control and (if needed) make changes 'on the fly'.

If you have separate patches and you want to change, say the feedback on your Delay, you have to go into each patch, make the change and then save each patch. As opposed to just changing it once and saving.

My mate has a rocktron pedal changer which is connected to all his pedals on the board. the rocktron can the be programmed to any number of combinations of his existing pedal setup. Its a shame that the POD can do this the same way, and you have to load a separate FX each time you want to assign it to a FS.

Ideally it would be good to be able to assign your distortion to a FS and then on another FS assign the same distortion with your delay.

Having only 8 effects in your block is becoming an issue. Once you assign a Vol and a Wah only leaves 6. 

If you're not using the expression pedal for anything, and want to control two states of one or more effects, assign one set of parameters to the exp pedal min, and another set to the expression pedal max. So that would be like having two different distortions. And if you also have a reverb and delay, you can also assign two states of those effects, tied to the min and max of the distortion. You could still toggle each effect with the switches. Or you could have the mix of a reverb zero at min, essentially turning it off, and something else at max. My head starts to hurt thinking of the combinations this presents...

What I am trying to get away from is separate patches and just have one set up that I can control and (if needed) make changes 'on the fly'.

If you have separate patches and you want to change, say the feedback on your Delay, you have to go into each patch, make the change and then save each patch. As opposed to just changing it once and saving.

if one follows the multi-patch approach, one has 2 carefully set up + level  all patches  bfore  the show, so "in-situ-tweaking"  is generally considered out of the q.

different patch(es) per song means that u DO NOT TOUCH THE PATCHES when performing live (emergency cases excluded)...

Ideally it would be good to be able to assign your distortion to a FS and then on another FS assign the same distortion with your delay.

Using the HD500 in Pedal Board mode (FS5-8 selected in Setup menu).....

Each FS can control an fx on/off, plus the Expression pedal switch can control an fx on/off and the expression pedal can dynamically alter values of multiple parameters on multiple fx so things change from min to max (heel to toe).

For example if you have FS1 assigned to your distortion and FS4 assigned to DELAY.  You press FS1 to toggle distortion on - then when you want to add the DELAY you press FS4 and you have your DISTORTION plus DELAY.    If you want the DELAY on its own you can press FS1 to switch off DISTORTION.  This gives you the control you want with the fx you want all in the one patch.

The situation you have described can be achieved via standard patch change mode where each patch has your chosen combination of pedals switched on from the start.

• 6 months later...

does anyone know if it's possible to invert the polarity of a FS assign so it turns a block on as another goes off? I want FS1 to alternate between a synth and a distortion with a single stomp. I could assign the distortion to FS2 but then I'd have to stomp on both.

On a BOSS GT10 or GT100 it's possible to assign a FS (labeled CTL) to latch in negative polarity, and another assign to latch in positive so in a single stomp, the FS turns the synth off while the distortion is turned on, and viceversa. 

what about assigning latching or unlatching (toggle or momentary), is that possible on the HD500X? 

If you're not using the expression pedal for anything, and want to control two states of one or more effects, assign one set of parameters to the exp pedal min, and another set to the expression pedal max. So that would be like having two different distortions. And if you also have a reverb and delay, you can also assign two states of those effects, tied to the min and max of the distortion. You could still toggle each effect with the switches. Or you could have the mix of a reverb zero at min, essentially turning it off, and something else at max. My head starts to hurt thinking of the combinations this presents...

is it possible to make the EXP pedal turn blocks on and off? thanks for the tip though, I can see how the EXP would work to disengage delays or synths in any alternation since those have a "mix" parameter that vanishes the effect at 0% (weather assigned to heel or toe). Nevertheless, I don't think it's possible to alternate a distortion block since none of those have a blend parameter. 

does anyone know if it's possible to invert the polarity of a FS assign so it turns a block on as another goes off?

YES

what about assigning latching or unlatching (toggle or momentary), is that possible on the HD500X?

NO. But I believe that the Helix can do that --- or at least, something similar that is more than a simple on/off. 

is it possible to make the EXP pedal turn blocks on and off?

Not as far as I remember. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 4:10 PM, pianoguyy said:

is it possible to make the EXP pedal turn blocks on and off?

Not as far as I remember. 

however, you can change parameters on 2 separate blocks eg

distortion

drive: min =20 max = 100

output min = 100 max = 20

compressor

sustain min = 100 max = 0