Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cabinet For Dt50 Head ?

glenbury

Hi,

Thinking of getting a DT50 head to match up to my Pod HD500.

I already have a Mesa 1x12 open back. Would that work okay with the DT50 ?

Are the the Line 6 cabs the best match to the DT heads ? 

I searched around the net for the DT50 2x12 cab but I don't see it for sale anywhere. ?

Thanks !

• Downvote 1

Any speaker cabinet with the right impedance and power handling will work. The sound produced will vary but that's subjective. I run an HD500 via L6 link and sometimes into the front of a DT 50 Head with a Jet City JCA12+ Speaker Cabinet (open backed) which has a 16 Ohm 100w Eminence speaker in it. Sounds good to me but I play at moderate levels most of the time. I did crank it up indoors a few times and it sounded really good to me.

I like the DT25 D112 (1x12) cabs. I prefer closed backs to open, and each cab (I have 2) is easy to carry. A pair of these D112 cabs stack nicely with a DT25 head on top as it's width (21") matches the Cab width. The DT50 head will be wider (26"). I do find them expensive however, compared to other manufacturer options. I am also a big fan of the beam blockers. Like Brazzy said, the sounds produced by the various available options will be subjective and is also dependent on the type of music you play and the sound you need to achieve. I don't believe there is a 2 x 12 cab made for the DT50, just a 4 x 12 cab  and then a 1 x 12 Cab for the DT25's, which of course you could also use with a DT50 and visa versa. The nice thing about smaller stacking cabs is that you don't necessarily need to drag all of them out for small venues or rehearsals. I usually only use my 2 x 12 stack when doing gigs and only take 1 cab for other things.

I think you will be quite happy with your Mesa cab.  Spend time with your POD/DT and the Mesa to see what you really want to do with it.  You can always part with your cash later when you know what you want to get...  A DT 50 will drive a wide range of cabs from your 1X12 up to a pair of 4X12s provided the load matches your amps capabilities.  Really depends on your budget, where you will be playing, your style of music and most importantly, how much you want to lug around!

Before you spend your money, try the L2t or a pair of good powered monitors with your POD HD500, you may have second thoughts on the whole DT thing...

radatats has a good point about "before you spend your money try the L2T or a pair of powered monitors with the HD500". I do beieve running the HD500 into a good pair of powered monitors via the XLR's is a good way to go. I seem to remember many guitar players saying that the HD 500 really sounds great that way.

I wanted some tube generated sound thats why I got the DT50 Head and Cabinet, I never had a tube amp before and I really like this one but I don't haul this beast around to gig after gig. I really think if I was going to play live I would try to go with the HD500 and run direct to the house just so all I had to haul was the HD500 and guitars. I realize there might be problems with it but isn't there problems with anything?

Also, geppert with the DT25 stuff has the right idea ('cause he has experience) about uses of smaller cabinets as compared to hauling around a 4x12. Using the smaller cabinets gives versatility in that you can position the individual speakers in a room in such a way as to achieve different sound direction, not sure if I worded that right but I think you know what I mean.

Whats great about the DT cab's is (4x12 for example) it has two Celestion Vintage 30's in an X pattern with two Celestion G12H90 that were custom-voiced for Line 6 that make a great combination for getting an even more authentic tone from your HD/DT Head. :D

Thanks guys, you bring up some good points. If I'm more interested in just getting sounds out of the POD HD, 

I suppose there are other alternatives. I hear a lot about the Tech 21 PE 60. anybody have experience with

playing the HD500 through one of those ?  Thanks !