Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Decode the names of stock sounds and "pedals"

randrewrussell

Hey can anyone here provide a list that explains what the stock sounds correlate to ?

I have no idea what "New Jimmy" means or others for that matter.

I wish there was a post where the device names etc were decoded.  I assume trademark  

issues prevent Helix from using or explaining what each boost, delay, overdrive is supposed to 

be mimicking.  I would like to try and sort out my "pedals" for a pure  BOSS board or 

find a chorus that matches a vintage CE-1 but who can do that when they don't tell

you what is what.

thanks

2 hours ago, randrewrussell said:

Hey can anyone here provide a list that explains what the stock sounds correlate to ?

I have no idea what "New Jimmy" means or others for that matter.

I wish there was a post where the device names etc were decoded.  I assume trademark  

issues prevent Helix from using or explaining what each boost, delay, overdrive is supposed to 

be mimicking.  I would like to try and sort out my "pedals" for a pure  BOSS board or 

find a chorus that matches a vintage CE-1 but who can do that when they don't tell

you what is what.

thanks

This thing about the factory preset names crops up quite a lot and I have no idea why anyone would think it important - it’s not some sort of treasure hunt, there are no prizes, it’s not the Da Vinci code. I take them at face value, they are just names to differentiate one from another.

As for the amp, cabs, mics and FX the list of what the models are based on are listed in the Owner’s Manual and most of those are thinly disguised references to the real thing, but hopefully avoid copyright infringement.

Anyhow, for your entertainment- here’s a link to an earlier thread about “What does it all mean? Life, the universe and everything,” A lot of this stuff is just speculation on the contributors part!

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

hopefully avoid copyright infringement.

That's why (unfortunately in today's sue-happy world) they have to use names like "New Jimmy" when trying to describe the tone/sounds. I can see why a 20 year old might have issue with some of these names as their timeframes go back 40-50 years, as I'm over 60 and I don't know some of them myself. ; )

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

I've always wondered why no company has put the ability to rename and save the amps/effects/cabs etc to what I want them to be. I'm assuming it's some kind of legal issue but not sure what.

One of the features I've been waiting for is ability to save 'blocks' as individual presets of that effect/amp.....Then I can pull up a boosted JCM800 and save the Amp as Boosted JCM800, and also save the Drive block as Boosted JCM800.  Then when I create a preset, I only need to load the 'core blocks' for the sound I've saved. 

You could potentially do this with presets....have one of your setlists be dedicated to presets with specific sounds....but then copying/pasting is a bit tedious depending onw hat your trying to move....rather than just right click>Load block>(drop down menu amps/cabs/effects>sub menu>sub menu if needed) click on the block you want and its there. 

I sometimes get frustrated and quit trying to reconfigure settings from scratch all the time for specific effects.

3 hours ago, brue58ski said:

Speaking of blocks, it would help me if the blocks told me what model they were, not just a symbol for the category. Not sure if the screen real estate is conducive to that but it would be nice.

Uh?

Me no understand?

I realise there are generic icons for the various block categories such as distortion, modulation, delay etc., but when I assign the effect to a foot-switch, the name of that item shows up on the “scribble strip” above it and I can customise that if I like. Or, when the block is highlighted in the path, the name of the model in that block is shown above the parameter editing knobs.

Confused!

On 6/5/2019 at 8:01 AM, randrewrussell said:

be mimicking.

Maybe his could help you (last posting...)

13 hours ago, datacommando said:

Uh?

Me no understand?

I realise there are generic icons for the various block categories such as distortion, modulation, delay etc., but when I assign the effect to a foot-switch, the name of that item shows up on the “scribble strip” above it and I can customise that if I like. Or, when the block is highlighted in the path, the name of the model in that block is shown above the parameter editing knobs.

Confused!

You're confused? If I want to see what amp (or delay or reverb or whatever) I used and it's NOT in anyway assigned to a switch with a scribble strip, your method doesn't work for me. Let alone the fact that I set my footswitches up for the top row to be presets and the bottom row to be snapshots. AND I want to stand there and not have to bend over and move the cursor over to see what the amp delay reverb etc. is. I just want to be able to quickly look down and see what I've got. I'm not sure why that was confusing. If it still is, you're on your own. I honestly don't think there's enough screen real estate there to implement my desire without using abbreviations, which could wind up even more confusing.

36 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I'm not sure why that was confusing. If it still is, you're on your own. I honestly don't think there's enough screen real estate there to implement my desire without using abbreviations, which could wind up even more confusing.

O.K. Each to their own way of working with the thing. Personally, I’m not confused - I manage to navigate around just fine with what indicators are available. Although, I do now appreciate that others don’t find it so easy. 

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

O.K. Each to their own way of working with the thing. Personally, I’m not confused - I manage to navigate around just fine with what indicators are available. Although, I do now appreciate that others don’t find it so easy. 

I am so relieved you can navigate around just fine. It's not a matter of ease. It's a matter of. none of your solutions are applicable to my situation at all in any way whatsoever. No matter how "easy" they are.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...