Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is using the Helix as your daily use interface a little risky?

josegermain

Been using the HD 500 and Pro version as my "main" interfaces for years. That means that sometimes they are turned on 6+ hours  if i'm working  on a mix or something else . With the X3 Pro and X3 bean i did  the same and never had a problem. They got a little hot but that was it. I do have an extra interface here when i need  more inputs , but i was wondering if any of  you guys use your helix as  your main audio interface for music listening , mixing or whatever.

1 hour ago, josegermain said:

... but I was wondering if any of you guys use your helix as  your main audio interface for music listening , mixing or whatever.

Yep, no problem!

Solid as a rock since 2016!

Why would you have cause to think otherwise?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, datacommando said:

Yep, no problem!

Solid as a rock since 2016!

Why would you have cause to think otherwise?

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

I've been using my Helix Rack as my only audio interface for several years with no problem. It's on whenever I am using my computer, whether for recording or not.

Same here - always on unless I power cycle it to rebuild presets.

The ONLY thing I've noticed, and this bug has been around for at least 2 years, is that when on for a long time, my Reverb block stops working. Very strange. I have tried turning the reverb block off and back on but that does not fix it. The only fix is to reload the whole preset.

Note a major deal, I guess not many people leave their Helix's on all the time and so don't notice this. I reported to either DI or customer support, I can't remember which. I think it was DI because he said he'd never heard of that happening but would look into. I figure he got busy and forgot about it.

That's such a minor issue, though. The weird thing is that it ONLY affects the reverb block. Nothing else affected.

I use my Helix floor as my main interface for right now using Logic Pro X.   The only little item that pops up every once in a while is glitchy noises, I've come to the conclusion it's just the nature of the beast with USB.    I usually do a restart on the computer and it fixes the issue.   I think the issue stems from just putting the computer into sleep mode constantly and turning the helix on/off...

I'll continue to use it until I get a better interface ( Antelope / Audient ) 

2 hours ago, bsd512 said:

Same here - always on unless I power cycle it to rebuild presets.

The ONLY thing I've noticed, and this bug has been around for at least 2 years, is that when on for a long time, my Reverb block stops working. Very strange. I have tried turning the reverb block off and back on but that does not fix it. The only fix is to reload the whole preset.

Note a major deal, I guess not many people leave their Helix's on all the time and so don't notice this. I reported to either DI or customer support, I can't remember which. I think it was DI because he said he'd never heard of that happening but would look into. I figure he got busy and forgot about it.

That's such a minor issue, though. The weird thing is that it ONLY affects the reverb block. Nothing else affected.

Mine's on all the time I'm on, but I never noticed that! Now I'll have to keep an eye on it, just to see (arf arf)! What a weird bug!

8 hours ago, bsd512 said:

Well, this one has passed me by. Not aware of anything like that. Now I guess I will get all twitchy waiting for this to occur- damn!

but i was wondering if any of  you guys use your helix as  your main audio interface for music listening , mixing or whatever.

No, I do not. I have a UAD Apollo Quad (with many UAD Plugins) for that and use Helix for what I bought it for, which is a nice guitar "Preamp" / interface. That said, others here use Helix as their audio Interface for their DAW without issue. It just depends on what you want to do. I have a late 2009 iMac that uses Firewire so for my DAW this works very well with my silver Apollo Firewire 800 Interface.