Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native output panning issues in Logic Pro X

freshlydunbread

Hello everyone! I'm having issues getting Helix Native to pan in order to run a different signal path to the right and left.

I would like to take one mono clip and, in one instance of Helix Native, split it left and right.

When I pan Helix Native's "Host Output" hard right, it will always be silent on playback, when I pan it hard left, it gets slightly quieter but will still play at an equal volume on both speakers.

I can have the track panned hard left, hard right or center in Logic Pro's track editor, and these results are always the same when I make the changes within Helix Native's "Host Output": Silent when hard panned right, loudest at center, slightly quieter at hard left.

Here are some pictures of my signal chain and host output that I'm referring to, could I be overlooking anything?1036594438_ScreenShot2019-06-05at3_33_38PM.thumb.png.e2eab5c18db696b290afdbdf3d09f994.png385511506_ScreenShot2019-06-05at3_33_49PM.thumb.png.0c96aad63aa4672468b85f294b767854.png

15 hours ago, freshlydunbread said:

Hello everyone! I'm having issues getting Helix Native to pan in order to run a different signal path to the right and left.

I would like to take one mono clip and, in one instance of Helix Native, split it left and right.

When I pan Helix Native's "Host Output" hard right, it will always be silent on playback, when I pan it hard left, it gets slightly quieter but will still play at an equal volume on both speakers.

I can have the track panned hard left, hard right or center in Logic Pro's track editor, and these results are always the same when I make the changes within Helix Native's "Host Output": Silent when hard panned right, loudest at center, slightly quieter at hard left.

Here are some pictures of my signal chain and host output that I'm referring to, could I be overlooking anything?1036594438_ScreenShot2019-06-05at3_33_38PM.thumb.png.e2eab5c18db696b290afdbdf3d09f994.png385511506_ScreenShot2019-06-05at3_33_49PM.thumb.png.0c96aad63aa4672468b85f294b767854.png

Hi,

Looking at your signal path everything before the amp block should be “mono” and  then the final Reverb and Mod blocks can be “stereo” and therefore your output is stereo which you can pan left or right. Pan hard right and you have no sound from the left channel, likewise if panned hard left, nothing in the righthand side.

If you split the path after the final block you will then have path 1 outputs (Host) A and B which you can then pan hard right and left.

I think that is what you are trying to achieve. You can put the A/B split anywhere along the path and have different effects on each path and if you keep those fx mono you can pan those to either side on the final output (Host).

Give it a try and let me know if this is not what you are trying to do.

Edit

See page 29 of the manual for info on Block Order and Stereo Imaging

Also page 30 of the manual for an example of signal routing.

https://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010aa85c1938380be51/application/pdf/Helix Native Pilot's Guide - English .pdf

Note: This reference is in the U.K. manual, the one on the USA site is different!

So, what @datacommando said.

To add .... are you simply trying to pan the mono guitar track within the Helix stereo FX output "field"? If you create a stereo track with stereo instance of HxN plug-in,  you can pan the location of the mono guitar in your mix's stereo field using the Volume/Pan effects block. So:

Amp/Cab (mono) --> Volume/Pan:Pan block (stereo) --> various effects blocks (stereo; e.g. Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc)

Then, use the balance slider in the Pan block to place your mono amped guitar in the stereo field (see example below, with guitar panned a little left of center). Leave your DAW pan for the track set to center (HxN is taking care of the panning and stereo image).

Remember to choose all Stereo (not Mono) blocks for each effects blocks in your block chain after the amp ... if you accidentally stick a mono block in there, it will collapse the stereo to mono! And if you split your amp into two paths, be wary of how you place the stereo blocks.