Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Native as an Expansion for My Stomp

flash1228

I've got a couple questions. I got an HX Stomp and figured it would be more than I needed, but should've known better as I love tinkering/tweaking lol. So I'm wondering how well it might work to use my Stomp as an interface into a DAW w/Native as a way to get more blocks. I use the Stomp to jam in my room so my worry is the latency. I'm not concerned with the ability to bring it places for shows as that's not something I've got any plans for. I realize there are many factors that can contribute to latency, but I figured someone else may have tried this. Currently I use my 2010 MacBook for HX Edit and it's suuper underpowered, so I don't expect much from it lol. I'll be moving soon which will give me room to setup my Windows 10 PC which is much more powerful (i7-4790k, 8GB RAM, GTX 970 4GB, and a few SSDs) and I'm assuming can handle whatever Native has to throw at it. Is Native resource intensive? What resources? Will going in the Stomp, to the DAW with Native, back out the Stomp, and into monitors introduce unplayable amounts of latency?

This is one of the reasons I ended up buying Native. I wanted to be able to mess with the full routing powers of a Helix without dropping the cash down for it.  

It actually works really well, though I rarely use it for that purpose (and instead I use it for the primary purpose - recording my garbage) because, at least for me, 6 blocks is usually plenty (especially since it's easy for me to combine them with other existing pedals or my Firehawk to get even more sounds before I resort to the PC approach). 

The Stomp is designed to be a very low latency device, but at least initially I ran into more than I wanted.  Once I messed with my buffering settings I got it to where it was perfectly balanced (for me) so that there were no audio pops and crackles BUT I wasn't hearing an annoying delay between when I struck the notes and when I finally heard it. 

That's great to hear! Thanks for the input! Most of the time I get by with only the 6 blocks. If I had any pedals that would solve my problem lol, but I don't. If I'm going to wind yo buying pedals I might as well sell my Stomp and get an LT, which isn't outta the question. I just figured I could save some hassle/money the Native way. The biggest issue I have is I use a 10 band eq and then a parametric at the end of every patch. I'm able to knock out all the unwanted frequencies this way, but then I also lose two blocks. I've got some IRs from ML Soundlab that give me exactly what I want, so I always have one of those in there. After I add an amp I'm left with 2 blocks remaining. Generally that's enough, but I feel pretty constrained with what effects to use given my very specific process lol.