Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshots= instant ???

m1tp2king

Hi. I have been reading the manual about snapshots. With the Helix. When I use the snapshots is it really instant? 

For example. Can I activate a pitch shifter effect and the pitch shifter will engage emediatly? With no delay or pause?

Actually a pitch shifter effect would be instantaneous with a regular stomp as long it's in the same preset.  The value of shapshots is being able to change a lot of things instantaneously rather than having to switch to a different preset which would have a slight delay.

6 hours ago, m1tp2king said:

Hi. I have been reading the manual about snapshots. With the Helix. When I use the snapshots is it really instant? 

For example. Can I activate a pitch shifter effect and the pitch shifter will engage emediatly? With no delay or pause?

Snapshots is also the only way to get the Trails parameter option working on your delays and reverbs. Just turn the 'Trails' parameter on in the delay/reverb block. Unless you absolutely require a preset switch snapshots are definitely the way to go. Near zero latency and trails.

On 6/8/2019 at 3:21 AM, Verne-Bunsen said:

Or to be able to switch one (or more) device parameter(s) around between several settings...

No its not to adjust parameters. You can activate or deactivate designed blocks.

1 hour ago, schuha_at said:

No its not to adjust parameters. You can activate or deactivate designed blocks.

Sorry, I don't agree. You can change parameters with snapshots as well. For example you can instantly change the drive setting of an amp using snaphsots ... very valuable feature as you can go from a " clean" setting to a " distortion"  setting within the same preset and only by cranking up the drive (instantly).

Works great !

For anyone who is still unclear about Snapshots, take 5 minutes and watch this, it should help to clarify the issue about what they do.

A snapshot stores and recalls the state of certain elements within the current preset, including block bypass, parameter control, command centre and tempo.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, schuha_at said:

If that's the only thing you're using snapshots for, then you're missing out on a ton of flexibility. You can change up to 64 individual effect or amp model parameters with each snapshot...yes, you can turn blocks on or off, but that's far from being snapshots' only function.

10 hours ago, Hillman1312 said:

Sorry, I don't agree. You can change parameters with snapshots as well. For example you can instantly change the drive setting of an amp using snaphsots ... very valuable feature as you can go from a " clean" setting to a " distortion"  setting within the same preset and only by cranking up the drive (instantly).

Works great !

9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

If that's the only thing you're using snapshots for, then you're missing out on a ton of flexibility. You can change up to 64 individual effect or amp model parameters with each snapshot...yes, you can turn blocks on or off, but that's far from being snapshots' only function.

5 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Not either/or, but in-addition-to.

Guys,

Having looked at the post from “schuha_at” (above) one more time, and not just speed reading it, I think that something may have got scrambled in the Babel fish translation unit.

I interpreted it as:

No,  its not just to adjust parameters. You can also activate or deactivate designated  blocks.”

and not,

No its not to adjust parameters. You can activate or deactivate designed blocks.

Quite easy to misunderstand something like that in this world of predictive text.

Just a thought.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:47 PM, datacommando said:

Guys,

Having looked at the post from “schuha_at” (above) one more time, and not just speed reading it, I think that something may have got scrambled in the Babel fish translation unit.

I interpreted it as:

No,  its not just to adjust parameters. You can also activate or deactivate designated  blocks.”

and not,

No its not to adjust parameters. You can activate or deactivate designed blocks.

Quite easy to misunderstand something like that in this world of predictive text.

Just a thought.

Thank you for the friendly interpretation of my cryptic translator. :-)

Actually I haven't managed to create several snapshots with different drive settings of an amp with HX-Edit for my Helix LT.  
This has strengthened the impression in me that you can only activate or deactivate blocks and cannot change any parameters.
I envy those who succeed and wish me the same ability!

It seems for me now that LT do not follows the big brother in all ways.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, schuha_at said:

Thank you for the friendly interpretation of my cryptic translator. :-)

Actually I haven't managed to create several snapshots with different drive settings of an amp with HX-Edit for my Helix LT.  
This has strengthened the impression in me that you can only activate or deactivate blocks and cannot change any parameters.

This function works the same way in all the Helix products. You most certainly can change parameters with snapshots in the Helix LT. You have to assign the parameters you want to control to the Snapshot Controller. To do it on the unit itself, just push and turn the knob for the parameter you want to control. Take a look at the 2:15 mark of this video:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, schuha_at said:

I use an LT, and most certainly it can do what it's big brother does. Snapshots control parameters. Take the time to learn how to do it, and enjoy it to the fullest.

1. Presets: Loads an amp and effect order of your choice. 
  2. Snapshots: Loads different parameters and on/off states of the amp(s) and effects loaded in the preset. It's like "presets" within each "preset".

Since you already know how to toggle effects on/off with snaps you only need to learn how to get the parameters working. The easiest way is to do it on the device (not in edit) by PUSHING while you turn a parameter knob. Brackets will appear around the number and when it does,  that number can now be changed from snapshot to snapshot. 

In HX Edit you can "shift > left mouse click" (on the parameter) to assign that parameter to snapshots. 

• Upvote 1

Great, great, great. Thanks for this expansion of my knowledge.

I've come pretty close to my needs with the pure on/off.
So it gets even better. -:)

Who reads manuals thoroughly has it probably easier in the life. ;-)