Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Polyphonic pitch shifter- Helix

m1tp2king

Hi. Can the Helix do polyphonic pitch shifting?

I want to go down 2, 5 or even 7 steps. For different songs. Using the pitch shifter in the Helix.

Plus- can I set up a song to go down 2 steps, and then for the solo engage a 2nd pitch shifter to raise the pitch by 10.

And if I use the snapshot will the activation of the solo pitch shift be instant with no pause or delay? 

Many thanks. 

19 minutes ago, m1tp2king said:

Hi. Can the Helix do polyphonic pitch shifting?

I want to go down 2, 5 or even 7 steps. For different songs. Using the pitch shifter in the Helix.

Plus- can I set up a song to go down 2 steps, and then for the solo engage a 2nd pitch shifter to raise the pitch by 10.

And if I use the snapshot will the activation of the solo pitch shift be instant with no pause or delay? 

Many thanks. 

Hi,

Can the Helix do polyphonic pitch shifting? Simple answer - no, not yet. There have been “rumours” that it could be in the pipeline, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Meanwhile, you may want to checkout Ideascale and upvote any request already on there for polyphonic shifting.

https://line6.ideascale.com/

Regarding the other question - yes, Snapshots are the way to go with this. With a snapshot you could use one shifter down a whole tone (2 steps) then click the foot switch and have the same shifter swap up to +10 steps. I’m not sure if that would create some strange sweep as it moves from one position to the next. If it does slur than simply swap between 2 separate shifter blocks. Best thing to do is experiment - nothing to lose and you might find something really wild.

Hope this helps.

2 minutes ago, m1tp2king said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

But I just looked up on you tube.

There is a guy who uses the Helix to achieve drop tunings. 

He does it with no problem. 

What do you think?

Is he using a Variax guitar?  The Helix can control the Variax, and the Variax does excellent drop tunings on the fly, but as for the Helix on its own, what was said earlier is correct. The Helix does not do polyphonic, much as I wish it did. 

21 minutes ago, m1tp2king said:

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

But I just looked up on you tube.

There is a guy who uses the Helix to achieve drop tunings. 

He does it with no problem. 

What do you think?

Well if it's on YouTube, it must be Gospel...;)

As already noted, Helix pitch shifting is currently not polyphonic. Period. You may  succeed in getting it to work to varying degrees under certain circumstances... but at some point you're gonna start to hear warbling and/or other artifacts, especially with higher gain tones, and as the shift interval gets wider. Even the Digitech Drop, which is very good at what it does, starts to sound a little funny shifting beyond a 4 or 5 semitones.

• Like 1