Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

OT 3 new guitars in 2 days or 5 in 40 years?

CraigGT

Not really Helix related but that's how they'll get used so...

When I started work in 1978 I wanted a Strat but everyone warned me off them saying they were rubbish and not worth the money (a point borne out by the absence of Custom Shop 70's models) so instead I bought a Music Man Sabre II which I still have.

Fast forward to 1986 and a lunchtime stroll led to an impulse buy of a Charvel model 6 which has been my go to guitar ever since and also the last electric guitar that I bought.

Now with impending semi retirement and some bonus cash I started looking around and soon decided that my preferred new guitar would be a PRS DGT, more browsing followed until I found the one which I quickly put a deposit on but I still had the feeling that my last guitar should be a Strat.

So on my first day of semi retirement I headed to the shop that had my preferred Strat to reacquaint myself and it still felt very good but they didn’t want to do me a good deal which kind of left a bad taste, oh well, off to pick the PRS up from  a different shop. I didn’t bother playing the PRS because I’d played it a few times before but ooh those new Les Paul Standards look nice! I left with the PRS and a very nice Les Paul Standard 50’s which they did me a very good deal on.

Day two of semi retirement was a very long drive to a shop that I’d wanted to visit for a while to try and find an even better Strat (I had one in mind from their website) it turned out that it wasn’t the one but another which I’d glossed over on the website most definitely was so that came home with me too.

So there you have it, 3 new guitars in 2 days does seem a bit excessive but 5 in 40 years is well below the average :-)

Craig

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

Nah, go for it... make it 5 in 5 days.

Look after them they won't loose much - might even gain value. Unlike any tech which is out-of-date a few years later...

I tried a Variax, didn't much like it,  and decided it was way more fun to just get one of each model (bar the banjo).

You can't take it with you - enjoy your retirement (semi or otherwise)

I bought a Charvel Model 4 around that same time and I still have it.  I still love that guitar.
You've worked hard and are fortunate enough to have the cash to buy yourself 3 more guitars.  That's simply awesome!  Congrats and enjoy your semi-retirement.

Congratulations on the new fiddles! Got any pictures? When you find yourself torn on whether or not you should buy a new guitar, remember that the appropriate number of guitars for you to own can always be determined by the formula (X + 1) where “X” equals the number of guitars that you currently own. Update the value of “X” as often as necessary.

9 hours ago, CraigGT said:

Not really Helix related but that's how they'll get used so...

When I started work in 1978 I wanted a Strat but everyone warned me off them saying they were rubbish and not worth the money (a point borne out by the absence of Custom Shop 70's models) so instead I bought a Music Man Sabre II which I still have.

Fast forward to 1986 and a lunchtime stroll led to an impulse buy of a Charvel model 6 which has been my go to guitar ever since and also the last electric guitar that I bought.

Now with impending semi retirement and some bonus cash I started looking around and soon decided that my preferred new guitar would be a PRS DGT, more browsing followed until I found the one which I quickly put a deposit on but I still had the feeling that my last guitar should be a Strat.

So on my first day of semi retirement I headed to the shop that had my preferred Strat to reacquaint myself and it still felt very good but they didn’t want to do me a good deal which kind of left a bad taste, oh well, off to pick the PRS up from  a different shop. I didn’t bother playing the PRS because I’d played it a few times before but ooh those new Les Paul Standards look nice! I left with the PRS and a very nice Les Paul Standard 50’s which they did me a very good deal on.

Day two of semi retirement was a very long drive to a shop that I’d wanted to visit for a while to try and find an even better Strat (I had one in mind from their website) it turned out that it wasn’t the one but another which I’d glossed over on the website most definitely was so that came home with me too.

So there you have it, 3 new guitars in 2 days does seem a bit excessive but 5 in 40 years is well below the average :-)

Craig

You can't take the cash with you, and you only go around once... may as well enjoy the ride!