Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Backpack as carry-on?

rd2rk

Flying for the first time with my Helix floor. No problem, I think. Just throw the backpack in the overhead. Maybe. UAL says 22" max length. Backpack is almost 26" with handle.

Anybody have any experience flying with one of these?

Bobby Owsinski just wrote this blog..pertains to American airlines. I don't know how you'll do with   United though. 

good luck.

Michael

https://bobbyowsinskiblog.com/2019/06/06/american-airlines-music-gear/

also here's a link to united airlines policy for musical gear

http://www.airline-baggage-fees.com/flying-with-musical-instruments/united-airlines/

Hmm, I did that last time while going to work to a different country by myself for half a year, must've been funny to see, I walked around with so much stuff, computer case on one hand, huge luggage case on the other, guitar on the back.

I put my Helix LT in the luggage case and wrapped it in it's factory plastic bag, then towels, then clothes, right in the middle of the case so everything would lessen the impacts when it would be handled by the airport people. The guitar, first time around I brought it in a hard case, checked it in as special equipment, but surprise surprise, they lollipoped up the case, they didn't crack it or render it useless, but it was scratched really hard, there were chunks of cloth ripped off exposing the wood. So next time I just bought an extra plane ticket for the guitar and brought it on the plane with me in a soft gigbag, it was a cheap airline so the extra plane ticket turned out cheaper than checking it in as spec. equiment.

I guess it depends, how lollipoped are you if they won't let you on the plane with the Helix? How important is the flight, etc.

Band had a gig in Wales a couple of Octobers ago.  I put my Helix in its back pack into one of those big duffels with wheels, with some band merch and my clothes and then checked it a long with My JTV89F in a flight case.  Everything made it fine both to and back to the US without any problems.