Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Basic Question: I´m Metal - Pod 2.0 Could Be Better Than 5150 Head

Hi everyone,

Im Vic, and I´m using a old POD 2.0 used as a head Mesa Boogie emulator connected to the return of a MARSHALL AVT150h which works fine for metal tone and delay very simple.

Im thinking now on invest in a safe distortion and equipment, such as the peavy 5150.
or keep this old POD, or maybe upgrade to another new version

do you think that POD is compared to a Head?

or, ignore the amplifier and connect my POD direct to the venue audio system

Cheers

V.

• Upvote 1

i think a real amp along with some choice pedals is the best way to go. as far as running through an amp or a p.a. it all depends on you. i read that people get excellent results going direct. if you want the convenience of caring a ten pound modeler, use that. check the different modelers out there not just line6's hd  

This is one of those subjective questions...Personally, I hate running direct into an FRFR system for guitar. I am not a person that likes having tweeters in my guitar rig...most guitar amps don't have them and I prefer the "Feel" of a conventional guitar amp, not the sound of a mic on an amp...It certainly works and some folks dig that vibe...One thing for sure...A POD of any kind will save you money on tubes...That glass can get kinda expensive...Good idea to consider re-tubing cost when you buy a tube amp...

The Original POD and POD 2.0 have a sound that no other POD or emulator has. A lot of people don't know that yet so keep it to yourself. Shhhhhh.

But as far as what to do you'll have to use your own ears and get what works for you. When getting an amp head and a distortion pedal/overdrive remember that it's not about a brand name, but about the right combination of the two. Some heads sound best with only certain types of pedals. Best thing to do is ask a guitar store to let you bring in your speaker and head and try all the pedals they have till you find the right one.

You may find that you only need a booster if the heads preamp sounds great already and it just needs a bit of a push to sweeten it.