Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix lockup

dbraman

I was practicing (fortunately) this morning, and my unit (full Helix, floor model) locked up. Couldn't change snapshots...couldn't change presets. The only that fixed it was a reboot. It was fine after that, and I know that this is just the reality of living in the computer-base world. But I have had this unit for nearly three years and nothing like this has ever happened before. Is this something I should be concerned about? Fortunately I was just practicing, but I have a big show coming up next month and I would hate for this to happen then. Thanks

18 minutes ago, dbraman said:

Is this something I should be concerned about?

Only if it keeps happening... and trying to predict if/when it might happen again is completely pointless. You have one data point... can't do anything with that. Besides, it's entirely possible that it won't occur again anyway. One hangup is one hangup.

Just remember that when having an analog pedalboard, either I or the 2nd guitarist have ran into patch cable issues which resulted in a much longer time than that of a reboot of a Helix...

1 time at a gig I realized I couldn't change to the next song's patch, and I reached down and turn off, then turned on, and the drummer said said 1, 2 and I said wait a second, I'm tuning... I acted like I was tuning.. The singer said something like make sure you get our new songs on our website, blah blah... and when the Helix was up I said ready!
They had no clue, and I lol to myself as the 2nd guitarist would of made fun of the computer based system.. You need to be ready for anything live! And act professional... I always say you lol on stage at mistakes or technical issues and the audience views it as your having fun, so they have fun!!!

And I too have had the Helix for years and only 1 time had the freeze.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shatters said:

Just remember that when having an analog pedalboard, either I or the 2nd guitarist have ran into patch cable issues which resulted in a much longer time than that of a reboot of a Helix...

1 time at a gig I realized I couldn't change to the next song's patch, and I reached down and turn off, then turned on, and the drummer said said 1, 2 and I said wait a second, I'm tuning... I acted like I was tuning.. The singer said something like make sure you get our new songs on our website, blah blah... and when the Helix was up I said ready!
They had no clue, and I lol to myself as the 2nd guitarist would of made fun of the computer based system.. You need to be ready for anything live! And act professional... I always say you lol on stage at mistakes or technical issues and the audience views it as your having fun, so they have fun!!!

And I too have had the Helix for years and only 1 time had the freeze.

Practical advice...thanx.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a lockup today and my thought is to clean up by reloading firmware, presets setlists and IRs, that way if a bit or two has fubarred it will get cleaned up. When you update/reload the firmware there is a checksum/verify of the bianaries to make sure that they are loaded correctly. A while ago during 2.53 update I lost a setlist and did not have the presets backed up and ended up loosing some presets, one was a favorite. The setlist export corrupted during the file compression part, I think. I now make sure that I back up all three ways individual preset, setlist and full export.

I may have caused my lockup problem in mine by switching crap barefoot and changing a delay from ms to 1/2 trip on the fly while running the looper.

I think in the 3 years I’ve owned my floor Helix, it’s required a reboot 4 or 5 times due to freezing. It’s concerning for sure -  but immensely easier and quicker than swapping out an amp (or tubes). Also, as far as I recall, in each instance when the Helix froze it was still playable in the preset and snapshot where it stopped responding.

There might be an incident report where the Helix has totally died in a performance but I’ve never read/heard of one?

Locking has happened to me maybe 3-4 times lately at random times (still playable in the preset/snapshot). Shortly later, the expression pedal of my helix LT has stopped working, most likely for a failure of an electronic component in the expression pedal (that's the best guess the tech support could provide by phone). I figure that the problem with the electronic component may have played a role in the lockups.