Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So...Ty Tabor tone?

kelldammit

I'm looking to deal with Ty Tabor's guitar tone from "Out of the Silent Planet". i know he used some gibson combo amp that he refused to name so that he could still find 'em cheap in pawn shops.

Anyone had any luck replicating this sound?  i know it's a fat strat and there's some chorus on there...but the amp?

12 hours ago, kelldammit said:

I'm looking to deal with Ty Tabor's guitar tone from "Out of the Silent Planet". i know he used some gibson combo amp that he refused to name so that he could still find 'em cheap in pawn shops.

Anyone had any luck replicating this sound?  i know it's a fat strat and there's some chorus on there...but the amp?

As stated above it was a Gibson Lab  Series... frankly, those things were terrible solid state amps, lol. But Ty is a monster, and with a Fender Elite Strat (with the funky push-button pickup switches that were only made for a couple of years in the early 80's) he managed to get a very unique sound... its tough to replicate. I've been trying for 30 years, lol. I'm afraid you won't find a similar amp model in Helix. I've gotten reasonably close using the Soldano crunch (I think).

I got King's X tickets in a couple weeks... I'm stoked!

• Like 3

His pickups in those guitars were unique and heavily influenced his sound. That's something people knew about but for some reason never considered to be such a huge part of the overall tone.  The Gibson Lab Series amps were a hidden secret for years.  BB King famously used them as well. When it came out that the Lab Series was what Ty was using, people assumed that it was the key to his tone. 

IMO it has mostly to do with the pickups and Ty's fingers.  He's using Mesa Boogies now as well as other guitars and it still sounds like him.

Ty is also a master of FX and used stereo imaging, double tracking, etc to his advantage.

• Like 1

I got to meet Ty last year and talk about his rig, which was not much at all. He played a solid state Orange CR120H head into 2 4x12 cabs. There wasn't much on his pedal board. A mojo hand rook royal distortion, line 6 DL4 echo pedal, a sweet sound ultra vibe and a boss tuner. Guitar was a single fender strat with single coils pickups all night.

So, no tricks to his tone, and he sounded just like Ty Tabor all night! I was blown away with the solid state Orange head that's  $450 at guitar center, LOL. I mentioned it to him and he shrugged his shoulders and said "it works".

IMG_20190612_25419.jpg

IMG_20190612_948.jpg

IMG_20190612_3839.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I actually have the L5 amp. It's pretty good sounding with anything from the first 4 albums. BEFORE i bought it , I tried my hand at making a tone as close as possible using a MIM Player series Strat. It seems to be getting some great feedback. It's not perfect and I honestly didn't put in all the effects that he uses. The Ibanez Delay and the Alesis mk iii reverb, because I don't know if there are models for those in the Helix or not. I made this just as a base tone to work with. Made for studio reference monitors. Best of all, it's free. Hope it comes in handy. It's labeled as the T Strat.
https://line6.com/customtone/profile/iamthetony2/

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2019 at 1:20 PM, DarthHollis said:

His pickups in those guitars were unique and heavily influenced his sound. That's something people knew about but for some reason never considered to be such a huge part of the overall tone.  The Gibson Lab Series amps were a hidden secret for years.  BB King famously used them as well. When it came out that the Lab Series was what Ty was using, people assumed that it was the key to his tone. 

IMO it has mostly to do with the pickups and Ty's fingers.  He's using Mesa Boogies now as well as other guitars and it still sounds like him.

Ty is also a master of FX and used stereo imaging, double tracking, etc to his advantage.

I saw Ty's rig several years back and he was running a Solid State Orange Rig.   Still sounded like him....Weird