Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pre-HD Variax 700 and Workbench - individual string gain

Hi all,

My POD XT Live died some time ago, so I've been without the old Java based Workbench.

Can anyone tell me if the old pre-HD system allowed individual string gains to be set? If so, I might invest in a Variax interface.

Actually, that raises another question. My HD500X and Helix don't support the original Variax system, so which Variax interface I could buy now, will work?

Thanks for any help with the above!

Thanks for the response, but I just found this which says that string levels can be controlled individually:

Link below says: "There are also controls for adjusting the individual string levels."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/line-6-variax-workbench

That has a screen-shot, which shows "mix" per string at the bottom left. Does that sound right?

1 hour ago, purusha said:

Can anyone tell me if the old pre-HD system allowed individual string gains to be set?

33 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

I have a Variax 700 (electric), and I know that you can't set the gain of individual strings (even if actually I never felt the need to)..

Are we talking about individual preset string levels... or global string level? The opening post is not clear on that. 

Workbench (original) allows you to adjust the individual string levels at a global level. If a piezo becomes weak, or you just want to tweak the balance of the instrument to your liking then you can do that. BUT - You cannot adjust the string level from preset to preset. 

string-level.jpeg

14 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

individual strings leveling is not possible with pre-hd Variaxes, period.

Yes it is... Globally. I own a 300 and it does... so why wouldn't the 700.

Oddly though.. they bury this global option under the EDIT menu when editing a specific model. (not very intuitive)

This is a screen shot I just took from my editor.... clicking "string volume setup" opens the "string volume" dialog image  (taken from the web) I posted earlier. 

string-level-menu2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all! Good info!

For my purposes, I have one particularly quiet string (top E) I've like to adjust, so global levels are fine.

I think there may generally be some confusion over the terms - like I thought "global" on some of the other threads, meant across all 6 strings.

So - now I have the problem of finding a USB interface... :)

It's a real shame that Helix and HD500X don't support the old Workbench.

1 hour ago, purusha said:

Thanks all! Good info!

For my purposes, I have one particularly quiet string (top E) I've like to adjust, so global levels are fine.

I think there may generally be some confusion over the terms - like I thought "global" on some of the other threads, meant across all 6 strings.

So - now I have the problem of finding a USB interface... :)

It's a real shame that Helix and HD500X don't support the old Workbench.

That means your piezo is dying. For the money of the interface, i suggest to buy the ghost piezo by graphteck pn8000, than adjust your volume of strings. It will revive your guitar, and the sounds you will get are much more alive.

14 hours ago, arislaf said:

That means your piezo is dying. For the money of the interface, i suggest to buy the ghost piezo by graphteck pn8000, than adjust your volume of strings. It will revive your guitar, and the sounds you will get are much more alive.

I don't think it's necessarily the Piezo dying. The guitar tech/Luthier who set my guitar up, had to set the top E (as in next to the B) with minimal bridge height, since the neck has a natural curve/radius. We strongly suspect that raising / lowering the heights of the saddles affects the Piezo pick-up. I've seen others comment and mention the same thing.

Hence the need to adjust relative gains of the individual strings.

12 hours ago, hurghanico said:

If by saying "top E" you mean the 6th bass string, the low level or intermittent signal is a common issue which could happen since that string is the one which more often is in contact with the palm of the picking hand and therefore its piezo gets dirty much more easily than on the other strings.

I meant top, as in highest frequency. The string next to the B. :)