Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ux2 - No Output Sound

Hi,

i've bought ux2 few days ago, at first I had some problems with instalation, but I' ve solved it.

My problem is:

when I plug in my guitar everything looks OK (when i play it shows that input sound is there), bud i can't get any output, speakers, phones, analog, even recording programs can't detect any output sound.

So I plugged UX2 to my another computer (again problems with instalation) but there was no output sound too.

Can anybody help me ?

THX

(excuse my english :) )

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first enquiry and I thought this might be the best place to put it. I have acquired a UX1 device and I have Podfarm 2.5 Platinum. It's all set up and the sound registers on the signal meters. However, the guitar sound keeps cuttng out intermittently (momentarily but frequently) and there is no sound coming from the microphone at all. I dragged a friend who is more familiar with this kind of thing over and, after trying various things, he was flumoxed as well. Anybody got any idea what it could be? Thanks in advance.

(assuming Monkey gives you green ticks)

I would check you guitar cable directly to an amp to rule out a bad cable or guitar circuitry.

Also, for the mic, make sure you are selecting mic as the input in POD Farm.

Also, the UX1 was no phantom power so you can not use a condenser mic.

No, 'fraid not. Thanks anyway. The only way I'd have of recording it would be with my old cell phone. And the sound from the UX1 is only available through headphones. But what might cause interference, crackling, etc. The UX1 is secondhand. Could it have been dropped and something damaged inside even though it still works? It seems a fairly simple set up so I surely there aren't many things that could have this kind of effect?

It is possible it is damaged.

Is this an older (red-faced) Toneport or a newer (black-faced) POD Studio?

Do other computer sources playback ok like from youtube or a media player?

You could download Reaper to make a quick recording. The evaluation is free for 30 days.

May be a little learning curve depending on how familiar you are with DAW's.

If you do go that route make sure you use Line6 UX1 ASIO (for pc) as your device in Reaper.

The sound clip can help because sometimes it may obvious that it is a USB issue.

Black-faced. Yes youtube et al works fine. No sound probs. The netbook I am using is fairly new. I have zero experience with DAWs. My songs were written before they existed (I had a decade off). I thought Reaper was just free! It is what I was going to use but then I got a s/h 4-track and was hoping to use it in conjunction with Podfarm. It would be impossible to record with this disturbance going on though even if the sound came out alright in recording. I doubt it would though. Probaby best just to forget the UX1 if you have not heard of this sort of issue being raised by people.

Just for the record your headphones are connect directly to the UX?

And Monkey gives you green ticks?

If you headphones are connected directly to the UX and the computer sounds playback fine, that  eliminates the headphone out as the issue.

If it were me I would try this on another pc, preferably a desktop, just to see if it is the UX.

The drivers for the UX sometimes just do not work properly with some USB chipsets.

Also, sometimes the power from USB is not enough to run the UX properly.

If this is the case, sometimes a powered USB hub may solve the problem.

A nice thing about recording to a DAW with a UX is you can capture both the wet and dry signals simultaneously, then add the POD Farm plug-in to the dry track post processing. It's a pretty slick work flow.

Technically Reaper is now ~ $60, but some people keep using the free 30 day trial. It has a nag screen that counts down how many days you have be evaluating it.

But for the power Reaper has, $60 is a no brainer.

Not sure how much it is, but I have heard good things about Mixcraft from another forum member Zap, especially concerning how intuitive it is.

I assume you mean the upright green lines that appear at the top left and right when registering sound thru the mic. What do they have to do with monkeys? Yeah they are working.

OK, I don't have access to a PC. I have a normal laptop. I could install Podfarm on it and have another go over the weekend I guess, Hopefully from a flash drive. I'll let you know how that goes.

Not really sure what a powered USB hub is. I have a 4 port hub that I use but only to provide extra USB sockets. I don't have anymore money to spend! lol.

Right, well sounds like Reaper will be good. I can always pay if ever I have the cash. One thing I am mindful of however is my observation that acoustic guitar/vocals (as opposed to synth/house etc) sounds better (authentic rather than plastic) through a 4-track than directly on a computer. Is that a popular notion?

The basic Mixcraft program would cost the same as Reaper, if not more. However, I'm glad you mentioned it because there is an older version on ebay that's going cheap. It only goes up to XP but that's the OS on my netbook. Then again if it's proved that the netbook has USB issues in terms of quality sound then that would be no good.

Thanks for your advice. This is really frustrating!

No, by green ticks I mean check marks in Monkey.

If you run Line6 Monkey, it should see the UX and give you green ticks for PF, Drivers, Firmware, ect.

You can download the newest Monkey here

http://line6.com/software/

A powered USB hub is a USB hub that has an adapter that plugs into your hour house current and provides the hub with supplementary USB power.

The thing with laptops is they are designed to conserve as much battery power as possible. So the standard power provided by a USB port on a well equipped desktop is typically far superior than a laptop our netbook.

I am just reminded of another thing to try. Does having your netbook plugged in make any difference?

I agree there is a warmth that analogue gear captures, and that is what digital modeling tries to emulate.

So if you are using the 4-track, how are you capturing the sound? mic's?

I used to record on a Yamaha 4 track. I would plug guitars, bass, and/or mic directly to it, or with pedals or a mic preamp. Can't count the times I tried to bounce a killer track to stereo or bounce a  double track to one, all the while losing fidelity with each bounce.

All the while I was saving up for a digital "Studio in a Box" system. But I knew that pc's were going to close the gap on the capabilities.

My first DAW was Sony Acid, and I never looked back!!

I was doing ok with clean guitars, but had issues with trying to capture hi-gain, thus enter the PODxt bean The. I was effortless capturing what sounded like an amp cranked to 11 without disturbing anybody directly into a virtual unlimited tack recorder!!

Basically most of the popular DAW's have unlimited trax  (for all intents and purposes) with no lose of fidelity during manipulation (or bouncing if needed).

I hope you get it sorted out. Because the difference between recording on a 4  track compared to a DAW with POD Farm will (IMHO) change your perspective.

Oh I see! Haha. It’s taken me a couple of days to realise what you mean. Yeah yeah I have the latest Line6 Monkey and the update ticks are all there.

OK well I’ll look on ebay and try to get a cheap powered USB hub to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip! I always keep the netbook plugged in.

I haven’t started using the 4-track yet. I need to print out the manual first. Basically, all this is happening because two people offered to record my songs and both let me down! And they use DAWs. I did do a couple of recordings. One issue is that the sound doesn’t seem as deep and another is that the individual notes on my semi-acoustic guitar are not clear.

Yeah the storage on the memory card for the 4-track leaves a lot to be desired for sure. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have bought a powered USB hub and now can't figure out what to do with it! What goes where? I can't see how to use it. The UX1 plugs directly into the USB socket in the laptop. If I plug it into the USB hub that's doing nothing! I can't plug the UX1 into the USB hub because the socket is a different shape in the back of the UX1, not USB. Please tell me what you meant! Haha. :rolleyes:

Ops! OK sorry about that. My mate came round and said I was trying to do it back-to-front. So I have now use the UX1 via a powered hub and it made no difference. Same interference. It's pretty nasty! He said it could be the memory in the netbook isn't enough to support such an endavour so I will try using PodFarm on my laptop. Will try to install it on this in the next couple of days. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hey Triryche are you still there? Right, I've finally got my other laptop working and got rid of that interferernce and intermittence! Yahay! For some reason it's taken several attempts to get the UX1 working fully on that machine but now we have lift off! As you were saying, the only problem with the UX1 is no phantom power. Can't really afford a condenser mic so will just have to be old-fashioned. After all dynamic mics were good enough in the past. I've bought a mic stand and have a pop filter. Next up is choosing which recording software to use. I can get Cakewalk as a standalone but I'm looking at some other audio interfaces on ebay. One is a Roland UA-33 Tricapture. One comes with an old version of Cubase and others either come with Cakewalk or Ableton Live Lite. I've read that Ableton is nice and simple but limited and best for live stuff so perhaps Cakewalk is the one to get. I am assuming of course that it beats Reaper. Judging from what I've read it's really a toss between these two. Now that I have the UX1 working I'm thinking maybe just get Cakewalk and leave it at that. I don't suppose those other audio interfaces will work with Pod Farm, or will they? I'm kind of confused about the relationship between Gearbox and Pod Farm as well if you have any advice about how they work in conjunction. Perhaps I should get a different interface and use Pod Farm with that and then save for a condenser mic for later recordings? Anyway, it looks like I have my hands full especially with checking out all the effects. My songs go back 30 years so the sounds vary. It's mega important to me to do this and get it right. I'm leaving the 4-track for now. Can experiment with that later and see what the difference is. ;-)

Btw a friend of mine (who has more money than me!) has purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 which comes with Ableton Lite Live and I can get one cheaper on ebay. Tempted to splash out but it would set me back a bit financially. It's a good piece of kit though apparently. He bought that plus a condenser mic. But he's not using it for guitar whereas Pod Farm seems ideal for that side of things.

The POD Farm that comes bundled with the UX can not be use with another interface.

You can however use the POD Farm plug-in post processing using the UX as a dongle.

(Some people are able to run the plug-in in real-time with usable latency)

If you were to purchase the POD Farm standalone software license, it will run with virtually any USB ASIO interface.

As for DAW's, I think Reaper is up there with the others and is dirt cheap, but some say it has a steeper learning curve.

The important thing is to pick one and learn how to fully use it for your needs. Later on down the road if you find limitations and want to switch DAW's it will be easier having already learned the ins and outs of DAW.

OK. I'll just have to experiment and find out what works best for me. It kinds of helps being poor sometimes as it limits one's choices and you just use the best combo you end up with and accept it for what it is. So I'm going to avoid spending money I don't have and see what I end up with here. Thanks for the info. :-)

• 2 months later...

I don't see an answer to the original question?

I have the same problem:

Have guitar connected to 1/4" Norm on front of Ux2

Ux2 is connected to a MAC running 10.7.5

Latest everything from Line6 (Pod Farm, Drivers, Monkey etc) ALL ARE UP TO DATE

Audio comes out of headphone jack and 1/4" back... I don't care for that!

I want the audio to come out of my MAC speaker or preferably my USB digital sound system connected to my MAC.

Meters are flying and showing input/output.

Tried changing Preferences on Pod Farm software... no luck. Though it sees my internal speakers and USB codec for USB connected sound system.

I am not using any software... I have Logic, Reason, Ableton, Garageband...

Just simply want to hear my sound beyond the headphones/cables!

So just to recap...

Guitar>Connected to 1/4" Norm Ux2>Ux2 connected via USB to Macbook> NO SOUND output from Macbook or other USB connected speakers to Macbook?!

When searching online this post comes up. Original post was not answered in this thread! Nor did the poster return it appears...

Thanks,

DAVID

that's not how it is supposed to work...

from your description it's running correctly...

for best quality you want the same hardware controlling both the input and output...

this controls latency and avoids potential digital artifacts...

you can do what your asking if you don't mind the quality tradeoff....

it's of course, unsupported...

but look up aggregate audio devices on the mac...

it's not advisable, or preferable... but some people just want to do it anyway...

I don't see an answer to the original question?

I have the same problem:

Have guitar connected to 1/4" Norm on front of Ux2

Ux2 is connected to a MAC running 10.7.5

Latest everything from Line6 (Pod Farm, Drivers, Monkey etc) ALL ARE UP TO DATE

Audio comes out of headphone jack and 1/4" back... I don't care for that!

I want the audio to come out of my MAC speaker or preferably my USB digital sound system connected to my MAC.

Meters are flying and showing input/output.

Tried changing Preferences on Pod Farm software... no luck. Though it sees my internal speakers and USB codec for USB connected sound system.

I am not using any software... I have Logic, Reason, Ableton, Garageband...

Just simply want to hear my sound beyond the headphones/cables!

So just to recap...

Guitar>Connected to 1/4" Norm Ux2>Ux2 connected via USB to Macbook> NO SOUND output from Macbook or other USB connected speakers to Macbook?!

When searching online this post comes up. Original post was not answered in this thread! Nor did the poster return it appears...

Thanks,

DAVID

I looked it up before... I was in Utilities>Audio Midi Devices

1) It's not simple

2) Under my Ux2 there's no option to change the Output

3) The Pod Farm software offers such and option, but it doesn't work!!

This should be simple.

Use other audio driver/hardware as output!

Recording software allows you to adjust these things.

I find this a flaw in the Line 6 and am not accepting this.

I simply want to plug in my guitar and play it through the Ux2>Mac>USB sound for practice!

• Like 1

it's not a FLAW... its by design... all pro level audio interfaces REQUIRE the same hardware for input and output to deliver the best quality....

it's simply not what YOU want... but it is 100% correct and would be the same for any interface manufacturer.

when you select the correct drivers in your recording software it will NOT allow this....

if you use lesser drivers, WDM, etc... some will allow that... but you give up the quality.

as i said... google apple aggregate audio devices... you can make it do what you want on the MAC....

it's not the correct way... but it is possible....

but you need to do what i said... quit looking at your DAW settings... or the Line6 settings....

and google aggregate audio device for mac.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

not really... you could try ASIO4ALL, but i don't recommend a workaround... i recommend you try to find a way to run it within the ASIO specs that you can live with...

you'll be happier with the results.

Is there something like the aggregate audio device for WIN8?

• 4 years later...

Hey guys 

I plug my Guitar into the front panel "instrument" Port and get no sound through the front panel "phones" port.

Above Tone "A" input is set to "Instrument"

I have the 80's Metal Rhythm* selected as the cabinet and amp , so to speak.

I can watch Youtube vids and the UX1 works as a sound Card just fine.

I have played Guitar for 8 years and all of my leads and guitars are A1.

Disappointing is an understatement.

On the Line 6 Pod Farm Interface I get no "IN" light indicator at all. I get no "out Indicator at all.

What should be an easy Plug and play is ridiculously hard and annoying considering the $200 price tag it had.

Line 6 rip off.PNG