Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects FX LOOP sounds bad in 4CM.

confuzatron

So, I have had the HX Effects for one year now. The ENTIRE time I have had it, I have not understood where this CONSTANT noise is coming from. FINALLY, the other day I turned OFF the FX Loop in the four cable method...and VOILA, NO noise!! It is extra severe when in my amp's distortion channel. (I play out of a three thousand dollar Orange amp that is pristine and SILENT when I plug my guitar straight in - so it IS the HX effects screwing up my scene.) Is there a fix to this problem??! Do I have to send it in?? (I don't have time for that). My solution for my show this saturday is to TOTALLY reprogram the thing for my ten song, forty minute set using the two cable method. So, I'll be piping the full sound of the effects etc directly into the front of the amp.This is NOT what I bought this thing for. So, essentially, my HX Effects is a huge failure and I can't send it back now. I hope there is a solution.

Noise with the 4CM is a pretty common issue... It's not necessarily either piece of gear's fault. It's just that when you have multiple connections between the same two pieces of gear, you have a really good chance of running in ground loop issues. Is the noise a 60 cycle hum noise, or is it more of a white noise? I guess I'm a bit confused as to why you would wait a full year before doing anything about it if you are so unhappy with it... Regardless, you might want to look into something like this.

That will break any ground loops, and it should make things a lot quieter.

16 hours ago, confuzatron said:

So, I have had the HX Effects for one year now. The ENTIRE time I have had it, I have not understood where this CONSTANT noise is coming from. FINALLY, the other day I turned OFF the FX Loop in the four cable method...and VOILA, NO noise!!

When you turn the loop off you are bypassing your amps pre-amp... make sure your amp is not the cause of the noise, and/or check to make sure your loop settings are appropriate (instrument/line). 

That said.... you may have ended up with an earlier release of HX Effects... some units have a known issue with the effects loop. Open a support ticket with Line 6, and if they will look into it and sort it out for you. I had an HX that sounded like a waterfall when I turned the loop on... Line 6 support took really good care of me. 

There is a sticky at the top of these forums that alludes to this... but they don't tell you exactly what the "audio artifact" is. I will tell you it is "noisy effects loops". 

https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts/