Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Output Level through USB

maximilianfaith

Hi, 

Apologies if this has already been covered...

I'm recording using the HX Stomp as my interface into Ableton. 

The patch Im using is Guitar > Placater + 4x12 (master 5, channel volume 5) > output. 

Im having to add as much as +16db to the output block to get some appropriate recording levels and I'm not even close to clipping in ableton. 

What am I doing wrong? :) 

Thanks in advance!

Here's a link to a lengthy article on the subject:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gain-staging-your-daw-software

Here's a relevant excerpt:

"If you take the sound with the highest peak levels and set it so that it peaks at between -12 and -18dBFS, you shouldn't run into problems with plug-ins or summing on the mix bus. If these figures look different to those I discussed in relation to analogue gear, remember that the meters are different, and you're actually leaving about the same 20dB headroom. I wouldn't expect to see peaks on the channel meters reading more than -8 to -10dBFS (and lower is often better). The highest level track in your mix will vary, but in rock and pop it's usually the kick or snare. Set a rough balance of your other tracks in relation to that track and you should be good to go."