Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has it been discontinued?

phaseshift

My advisor at Guitar Center online told me yesterday, he thinks the Variax Standard has been discontinued. They show black, white and sunburst as backordered into August...the same time frame in which they were showing the Amethyst limited edition, which was discontinued. There is ONE in their inventory, an open box unit at a store in Wisconsin, missing both battery and charger. 

Does anyone know? I only see a small number on Reverb. Does Yamaha/Line 6 still make these?

I’d buy one on reverb, except I had a 16% off coupon for GC. 

4 hours ago, phaseshift said:

My advisor at Guitar Center online told me yesterday, he thinks the Variax Standard has been discontinued. They show black, white and sunburst as backordered into August...the same time frame in which they were showing the Amethyst limited edition, which was discontinued. There is ONE in their inventory, an open box unit at a store in Wisconsin, missing both battery and charger. 

Does anyone know? I only see a small number on Reverb. Does Yamaha/Line 6 still make these?

I’d buy one on reverb, except I had a 16% off coupon for GC. 

I will preface this by saying that I did time in music retail many moons ago...I know how the game is played. If you're not stupid on day one, if you do it long enough, you'll become stupid. ;) You can actually feel the IQ points trickling away... but I digress.

Most music store jockeys can't reliably tell you whether or not they're wearing shoes without looking down at their feet... 98% of the time, anything they say after "Uhh.... let me check", is either a lie designed to make you go away, or a really bad guess that will often turn out to be comically wrong.

"Backordered until August" does not equal "discontinued", and "limited edition" anything its exactly that... limited. They make a handful, and when they're gone, they're gone.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, psarkissian said:

They're still available, through Sweetwater.

Is that so?
Why aren't they listed on the website? Only JTV and Shuriken models are listed, not the Standard.
Please clarify.

Standard Sunburst: Discontinued on Sweetwater
Black: No Longer Available on Sweetwater
White: No Longer Available on Sweetwater

Edited by phaseshift
Added links

For whatever reason, Sweetwater’s site seems to do this sometimes. They made it seem like the Stagesource speakers were discontinued a few months ago nd they weren’t. It just seems like they need to put some more orders in. I don’t believe there are immediate plans to discontinue the Variax Standard.

6 hours ago, phaseshift said:

Is that so?
Why aren't they listed on the website? Only JTV and Shuriken models are listed, not the Standard.
Please clarify.

Standard Sunburst: Discontinued on Sweetwater
Black: No Longer Available on Sweetwater
White: No Longer Available on Sweetwater

Retailers pick and choose what they carry... usually with little rhyme nor reason. If an item doesn't sell well enogh to satisfy the bean counters, then guess what? They'll stop keeping that thing in stock. It's not supernatural.... but it's not an indication that the item in question has ceased to exist anywhere else on earth.

10 hours ago, phil_m said:

For whatever reason, Sweetwater’s site seems to do this sometimes. They made it seem like the Stagesource speakers were discontinued a few months ago nd they weren’t. It just seems like they need to put some more orders in. I don’t believe there are immediate plans to discontinue the Variax Standard.

Too bad... that means no new variax gen 3 in near future :(

No problem in Europe

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/search;pgid=fOgg8gwrQIFSRpZVGW6t9CCG0000n3Oodopi?SearchTerm=variax+standard&SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3Dvariax%2Bstandard%26FollowSearch%3D9563

https://www.thomann.de/be/search_dir.html?sw=variax+standard&smcs=06ab0e_3847

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I just checked Sweetwater, and while the links I published above are still going to "discontinued" pages, there are new listings for White, Black and Burst Variax Standards.
If they'll honor the price I was getting from GC, I may cancel my existing order today and get one from Sweetwater.