Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects piezo acoustic and electric paths

guyhunt72

Does anyone split a stereo electric and piezo signal in two and run those through the HX effects with separate outputs to amp and PA?

I purchased the HX effects with the intention of running two distinct paths. Path 1 for my electric (time based and modulation effects) through the amp effects loop. I use analogue pedals for drive, compression etc. through the front of my amp. Path 2 for my acoustic utilising some EQ, modulation, reverb, delay output to PA. Basically, my electric guitar has piezo, stereo output from guitar to splitter box. Splitter box splits piezo and electric. Piezo goes into HX input 1 and output 1 to PA. Electric guitar signal from splitter box goes into some drive and compression effects into front of my amp. Amp effects loop sent into HX input 2 and output 2 returns to amp. I also have n expression pedal attached to the HX. I have managed to get the expression pedal to pan the stereo signals with acoustic through PA and electric through amp, but despite efforts to create two separate effects paths the signals get washed together. 

Im hoping someone out there is doing what Im trying to do and can offer some advice, or perhaps am I trying to do something that the HX isnt capable of?

I never tried anything like that.  I haven't used my HXE in a while so forgive my vocabulary.  I'm certain you can accomplish this.  For the electric path, run the amps "effects send" to HXE "input", drop your effects blocks in the first part of the chain, and then put in a "send/return" block.   Take the effects send from HXE to the effects return of the amp.  Plug you piezo into the HXE "effects return", and put in the effect blocks you want.  Plug your output to your PA.

I think by default, you send and returns on HXE are instrument level, which would be ok for this scenario.  It's possible to change it as needed.

Bob

I do this with the Helix floor. Piezo (pre-amped in the guitar) goes into the aux input (or one of the effects returns), and guitar into the main input.

The guitar path has a guitar amp and some effects, stomp boxes, cab, eq, etc.

The piezo path has a 3 sigma IR on it, some compressor/chorus/reverb/etc options.

Look for Peter Hamm's most excellent youtube examples of this on Helix rack.

I assume the same would be true for the Helix Effects just without the guitar amp options.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:03 AM, guyhunt72 said:

Im hoping someone out there is doing what Im trying to do and can offer some advice, or perhaps am I trying to do something that the HX isnt capable of?

It is certainly possible with the HX Effects. The problem you are likely having is that the SPLIT (required to properly route the left/right inputs) and MERGE (required to route path a/b to the outputs) don't appear unless you have two discreet paths. The 2nd path is NOT created until you move at least one block to Path B.

On the HX I got around this setting up my primary instrument (electric) on path B. That way I could fill all 9 blocks (leaving path A blank) and still have the two discreet paths. Yes... I had to move all the blocks down to that path (which is a pain) but it solved my problems. 

Once you have both paths setup accordingly you can send Left Input to path A and Right Input to path B at the split block. At the Merge block pan Path A to left output and Path B to right output. 

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

Stereo out from guitar split to piezo and electric. Piezo into L in and L out to PA, electric to Rin and R out to amp.

Ive managed to setup Path A for piezo acoustic and Path B for Electric.

The split block is of type Split Y. How do I send the Left input to Path A and Right to Path B? is this by assigning L100 to BalanceA and R100 to BalanceB?

The Merge Block (Mixer) is set to MainLR for Path B Output. I have A Pan L100 and R Pan R100. 

Is that what you mean? I think I might have misinterpreted your instructions, because this isnt working quite right.  

Ive added some photos too...

Hopefully you can point out where Im going wrong! Im new to the digital ways :)

IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6614.jpg

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

On 6/14/2019 at 7:09 AM, bobcoss said:

I never tried anything like that.  I haven't used my HXE in a while so forgive my vocabulary.  I'm certain you can accomplish this.  For the electric path, run the amps "effects send" to HXE "input", drop your effects blocks in the first part of the chain, and then put in a "send/return" block.   Take the effects send from HXE to the effects return of the amp.  Plug you piezo into the HXE "effects return", and put in the effect blocks you want.  Plug your output to your PA.

I think by default, you send and returns on HXE are instrument level, which would be ok for this scenario.  It's possible to change it as needed.

Bob

Much appreciated Bob. I think Ive tried this approach but Ill give it another go. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:48 PM, codamedia said:

It is certainly possible with the HX Effects. The problem you are likely having is that the SPLIT (required to properly route the left/right inputs) and MERGE (required to route path a/b to the outputs) don't appear unless you have two discreet paths. The 2nd path is NOT created until you move at least one block to Path B.

On the HX I got around this setting up my primary instrument (electric) on path B. That way I could fill all 9 blocks (leaving path A blank) and still have the two discreet paths. Yes... I had to move all the blocks down to that path (which is a pain) but it solved my problems. 

Once you have both paths setup accordingly you can send Left Input to path A and Right Input to path B at the split block. At the Merge block pan Path A to left output and Path B to right output. 

Thanks Codamedia... hopefully you get my response with some additional clarifications. Appreciate any further advice you can offer..

22 hours ago, guyhunt72 said:

The split block is of type Split Y. How do I send the Left input to Path A and Right to Path B? is this by assigning L100 to BalanceA and R100 to BalanceB?

That seems right to me... but since I don't use an HX Effects anymore I can't verify it. 

The Merge Block (Mixer) is set to MainLR for Path B Output. I have A Pan L100 and R Pan R100. 

The merge block certainly looks right to me. 

I think I might have misinterpreted your instructions, because this isnt working quite right.  

What exactly isn't working right? Are the paths/outputs bleeding into each other? Is it the actual signal or just some effects?

If it's just some effects, make sure you are running MONO effects as I believe stereo effects may ignore the pan rules at the merge block since their intent is to use both outputs.