Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G30 Dropouts

remov1

I've been using a G30 wireless for my guitar signal on stage with a band for over a year without problems however I recently began experiencing dropouts.

The receiver is mounted on a pedal board next to a Korg Pitchblack and a 535q wah.  All are powered by a DC Brick.

Two other wireless units are used on stage for vocals. Both are Shure units and they are fairly far from me.

The dropouts have occurred at several different clubs and during an outdoor gig.  All occurred when I was standing directly behind the pedal board with nothing between.

Our setup has been the same for sometime and I had 0 dropouts for the first 10-11 months I had the unit.

The firmware version is 1.02.

Any chance a firmware update to 2.00 would help?  Is 1.02 updatable(I've seen references to needing 1.03 and 1.02 in the forum).

I bought the unit in Oct 12 so the warrantee has expired.

The update does help with some kinds of unusual interference so I would expect it to help.   If you have a relationship with your dealer they may be willing to update it for you.  It's easy to do using Line 6 Monkey updater, but it does require using a XDV75 receiver as the USB interface.

Also, you are right on the edge of using the max current available from that power supply.  I would try using the factory supply on the G30 and see if that helps.  Is your pedalboard metal?  if so that will cut down the range and reliability of the G30.

Have you tried switching to a different channel?  With the transmuter turned off, switch through the channels on the receiver stopping for about 30 seconds on each channel.  You will notice red LEDs show up (and that's normal) but your best performance will be in those channels with the fewest red LEDs popping up.  The fewer LEDs the more range you have and the more range you have helps combat everything else that could add to the problem.

I'm going to switch to the factory power supply and see if that helps. My pedal board is a Pedaltrain PT2 so yes it is metal although it didn't seem to be a problem for the better part of a year.

I have tried different channels and it didn't seem to help.

I will see if my local dealer can upgrade the firmware and if not I'll be looking into sending it in and having the service department do the upgrade. Any chance you can give me a ballpark estimate on the service department cost?

It is affecting your max range.  As long as you have enough then it's not an issue and with a digital radio it never affects the sound quality.  But if there is some extra interference in the venues where you had problems then it could be enough to tip the scales those times.  No way to know for certain without a lot of test equipment.

The upgrade itself is free but there are charges for bench time and return shipping.  Fill out a service ticket to get the estimate.  It should be said that upgrading may make zero difference.  It only helps if you have some specific issues (which almost no one has in the real world).

• 1 year later...

Hello. 

I am having a similar problem with my G30. I just purchased 2 weeks ago and have barely used it. But last night and today, while at home, It has been dropping out. The audio drops for just a split second then comes back. Tried all channels and tried original power supply. I noticed that when it happens, the green RF leds go out on the receiver. I also noticed that an instrument does not have to be connected. Just by holding the detached transmitter in hand, I notice that the green RF leds on the reciever will intermittently go out for a split second. Lights on the transmitter do not change.  Checked batteries. Battery lights always stay lit on receiver. 

Hello. 

I am having a similar problem with my G30. I just purchased 2 weeks ago and have barely used it. But last night and today, while at home, It has been dropping out. The audio drops for just a split second then comes back. Tried all channels and tried original power supply. I noticed that when it happens, the green RF leds go out on the receiver. I also noticed that an instrument does not have to be connected. Just by holding the detached transmitter in hand, I notice that the green RF leds on the reciever will intermittently go out for a split second. Lights on the transmitter do not change.  Checked batteries. Battery lights always stay lit on receiver. 

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I just bought the Relay G30.  I took it out for a gig for the first time today and was not able to use it at all.  I've gone through everything that has already been discussed on here already such as, changing from RF2 to RF1, going through all the channels and leaving them on for 30 seconds with the transmitter off, and while units are on going through each channel.  None of these yielded any results.  Any other suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciate, otherwise its going back.. Thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...

I've had my Relay G30 since December of 2014. Just in the last two weeks I've noticed dropouts when at my regular gig at my church. I purchased a second transmitter about a year ago so that I don't have to unplug the cable and plug back in when switching to a different guitar. I run them on separate channels to avoid interference between the two. The dropout occurs with both transmitters. I have already tried switching to RF1 in both transmitters, and it still dropped out. The receiver is the older type without the USB port. I asked the AV team if they had any new equipmentt that might be interfering with the G30, and they have nothing new. I plan to see if my dealer can do a firmware update for me sometime this week. Is there anything else I might could try? Do the receivers gradually wear out and lose the signal? Thanks.

• 2 years later...

I see that last posts in this thread are from 2016 and it's now 2019 and I am all of a sudden experiencing the same problem.  I bought my G30 in December of 2016 and it's been great since then.  I gets used weekly.  Recently it started having the dropout problem.  My question is, this.  Our bass player just got a G30 a few months ago, so his is a recent version - could it be causing the dropouts with my older G30 - assuming there's a difference in firmware or something else?  Thanks in advance for any help!