Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie questions HX stomp

thomasasp

Hey,

I'm trying to choose if i'm going to buy a HX Stop or if I should go with a software only modeller. I'm new to the Stop but not new to amp software modellers in general.

I can see quite a few benefits with a harware unit compared to software only, but I have some questions:

1. Like regular software, will I be able to update the amps in HX Stomp? Let's say when/if Line 6 improves all the amp models (firmware 3?), will I be able to update the Stomp (paid upgrade maybe?) or is it then obsolete (and I will need to buy a new hardware unit), if I would like the latest version of the amps?

2. Are there any amps/effects missing in Stomp from the big Helix? I think I read it somewhere, but I can't find a list of which amps/effects are included in both products.

The hardware will be updatable until it can no longer handle the needs of it's SW. No one can predict how long that will be, a long time we hope. Updates are free.

The Stomp has all of the same amps/cabs/effects as the larger units, just less physical routing options and you can't use as many amps/effects in each preset due to limited available DSP.

Software modelers suffer from latency issues and are subject to the vagaries of their operating systems - YAY! IT'S PATCH THURSDAY EVERYONE! HOLD YOUR BREATH!

I have all the major players, and no two Plexis or Rectos sound the same. MIDI control is decent to iffy to minimal and between the interfaces and controllers is a PITA and not really practical for LIVE PERFORMANCE use..

The good news there is that Helix Native sounds just like the Helix hardware, and (usually) gets updated on the same schedule as the hardware.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

The good news there is that Helix Native sounds just like the Helix hardware, and (usually) gets updated on the same schedule as the hardware.

To clarify further of what was said by rd2rk, one of the nicest things about the Stomp is purchasing it gets you a SIGNIFICANT discount on Helix Native, so not only do you get a hardware modeler, but for $100 more you can land yourself an amazing piece of software plugin modelling too.

It's really a solid deal, depending on what your needs are. If you need a bit more oomph than the Stomp has, then by all means get the LT Helix model.