Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR Port

DeadNoMore

Anyone here have an issue with the XLR port being defective?  I am on my third Helix straight from the store. First one the metal piece that locks the cable to the Helix would slide into the peddle and not lock. I would pull it back out but when you try to plug in, it just slides in again.  Had the store get me a new one and I just got back.  Straight out of the box, factory sealed for sure, the mono port was completely missing the metal clip that the cable locks into and the right had it. 

Is is this just my bad luck or is this a known issue?

They store is now tracking down a third Helix to try to get it right. 

I’m just curious if anyone else has had similar issues with their XLR hook ups. 

Thanks,

Dead

I’m starting to think it is the design. Finally found a topic similar on this forum. One person showed both and another only had it on the right channel. I have the store checking with the rep. I looked on line 6 website and the picture there looks like mono doesn’t have it. 

Confusing since the first one had it but it was definitely defective. Not sure still but I will keep the community posted. 

Anyone else have input?  How do your XLR inputs look?  

Haven’t gotten a response from the rep yet.  I zoomed in on the picture of the back of the unit on the web site and it shows the mono without the metal clip but the right channel has it. According to the store, they had 5 other stores check and found the same thing.  Doesn’t answer why the first one I got had the metal on both. 

Is the complaint that a metal clip appears to be missing on "left/mono" output XLR.... or is the complaint that your XLR cable will not lock into that output? 

For the latter, please try at least one more XLR cable. I never have a problem locking the majority of XLR's into my Helix, but I do have one cable that WILL NOT lock in, despite the fact that it works on everything else. For the record... I have other cables that won't lock into some mic's as well :) 

I think the purpose of the metal clip in one side and not the other is to allow Helix to detect if only the mono XLR is connected. This will automatically mix down the stereo blocks to mono on the XLR out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, amsdenj said:

I think the purpose of the metal clip in one side and not the other is to allow Helix to detect if only the mono XLR is connected. This will automatically mix down the stereo blocks to mono on the XLR out.

Agreed.  I notice on all pictures and even on my LT that the metal tab is only on the right side XLR Out.  

This is most likely a contact point to ground (middle pin on XLR) to enable the separation of L/R channels when R Channel is plugged in.  The 1/4" out has this internally, probably using a stereo TRS jack.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, amsdenj said:

I just double checked my LT and sure enough... it only has the metal on the right output... seeing that, your statement is exactly what came to mind. 

I don't think that is a "clip" at all.... especially since XLR cables lock into my Left/Mono output without it.