Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M Series Still On Sale And Yet No Updates?

kraftybob

Was looking through my Sweetwater catalog and noticed Line6 is still selling the M13 - for $449 USD no less.  Yet, the last firmware release was almost 8 1/2 years ago (1/26/11)!  What's even better is you can get the HX Effects for just another $150.

Why, Line6, are you still selling the M Series when you have stopped updates close to a decade ago?  If it's still moves units for you great, then why not take care of those who have already bought one?  There's plenty of enhancement ideas on this forum.

Why are they still selling them? I imagine because people are still buying them... It’s a mature platform. They obviously aren’t going to be updating the firmware for it anymore, but they can still be useful to people. I imagine if/when sales slow to that it doesn’t make sense to make them, they’ll be discontinued. I have no idea when that will happen, though.

I’m sure the current sales don’t justify dedicating R&D resources into modifying and potentially breaking stable and functioning code.

Mature platform is an understatement.  I wonder if people realize when they buy them their getting 8 1/2 year old software?

I work for a software development company.  Our product is fully support for the first 5 years (product & security updates), and then security updates only years 5-10.  After 10 years support ends.  However, while we support the product for 10 years you can no longer buy the old version after a new version comes.

What Line 6 is doing would be like us selling old versions of software after new ones come out, but no longer supporting the old version.

I'm not completely faulting Line 6.  If people keep buying them then sure, keep selling them.  But they should still offer an occasional release.

Just my 2 cents.

Maybe, maybe not. But they probably are deciding to buy based on the feature set and specs as well as price. And it still does what it's advertised to do - and does it very well. And if the price point weren't deemed to be good people would stop buying it. And then Line 6 would stop selling it.

What's the problem?

42 minutes ago, kraftybob said:

Mature platform is an understatement.  I wonder if people realize when they buy them their getting 8 1/2 year old software?

I work for a software development company.  Our product is fully support for the first 5 years (product & security updates), and then security updates only years 5-10.  After 10 years support ends.  However, while we support the product for 10 years you can no longer buy the old version after a new version comes.

What Line 6 is doing would be like us selling old versions of software after new ones come out, but no longer supporting the old version.

I'm not completely faulting Line 6.  If people keep buying them then sure, keep selling them.  But they should still offer an occasional release.

Just my 2 cents.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to compare a hardware product like an effects pedal to a pure software product. For one thing, one of the reasons that people might still be buying these pedals is as backups and/or replacements for existing units. They just want something that does exactly what the product they were using did, and they want to do it without having to deal with a different piece of hardware. So they can still do that  for now.

You can still buy a new DL4 as well. Those have never had a firmware update, and actually don’t even have a way to be updated. People still buy them though. No one is forcing them... I mean, what sane company would stop selling something if there’s still enough people still who want to to buy it that they can make money selling it?

Actually, I do think it's a fair comparison to a true software product.  While this is a hardware device, the heart of the M is all software.  But, don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Line6 or the M13.  I have an M13 and really like it, and yes it does as advertised.  My personal opinion, and that's all it is, is my opinion, is if Line 6 is going to continue to sell the M units it would nice to get an update after all these years.  There's plenty of feedback on features and enhancements to work off of.  I just think it's a little disingenuous on Line 6's part to profit from this an not offer something to their customer in return.

Again, I'm a fan of Line 6 and even considering upgrading to the HX Effects so it's not like I won't buy their product anymore.  I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally i would like to see an update where you can activate and chain more than the standard 4 effects at a time...how about all 12 effects routed in anyway (for eg fx1 B to fx1 A to fx2 C to fx3 C to fx4 A.....etc)....in a scene?.....Line6 are you reading this?

On 7/6/2019 at 4:54 AM, morbidence said:

Personally i would like to see an update where you can activate and chain more than the standard 4 effects at a time...how about all 12 effects routed in anyway (for eg fx1 B to fx1 A to fx2 C to fx3 C to fx4 A.....etc)....in a scene?.....Line6 are you reading this?

I’m not a Line 6 employee, but I think it’s safe to say that there will no more M-series updates. It has been, like what, almost 10 years since the last update? There’s no way they’re opening up that code again. If you want an updated M9 or M13, get an HX Effects.