Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx Stomp No Sound

Capellani

On 6/16/2019 at 9:04 PM, Capellani said:

My Hx Stomp is not working, no sound, working display and everything but no signal in and out. some security block on it?

Hi Capellani,

I really don’t understand why you would ask if there is “some security block on it.” I don’t recall ever coming across any guitar multi-fx unit with that sort of function, but you never know!

O.K. you don’t give us much information that may help us to help you! 

I will guess that this must be a brand new straight out of the box HX Stomp, because you didn’t say that it was working and now it’s not. If it’s new and never worked get a replacement from wherever you bought it. It is guaranteed so it can be swapped for a new one if it is faulty.

Also, you say that there is “no signal in and out”! Well it’s easy to detect “no signal out” because the unit will be silent, but how do you detect “no signal in” - there are no meters or lights to show a signal is being received?

You don’t say what you have the unit connected to and/or how you have it configured. First off, do you have a cable tester and have you checked all your cables are working O.K. Have you set the levels as described on page 40 of the owner’s manual? Have you checked for a signal via the USB connection, or the headphones socket, or is just the rear audio outputs not working. Have you tried performing a factory reset on the unit - if not, do this now and see if it helps:

HX Stomp:  Turn unit off and then turn back on. Hold Footswitches 2 and 3 as the unit boots up.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 1 year later...

Once in a while my Stomp also has no Sound.

Everything else works as it should.

The first time I was really concerned and checked all other Equipment around.

Then I simply switched the unit off and on again and it was fixed.

Now I am used to it and know what to do.

This is anything but nice.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have bought the blue version of the HX Stomp, just a month ago. This morning was my first experience with the HX Stomp's no sound situation. Everything on the display gave the illusion that everything was ok and that the HX Stomp should work properly. I checked the cabling, expression pedals, and switched presets. Nothing helped. So I turned off the HX Stomp and then restarted it. Problem solved and immediately searched on the Internet if more people had this experience.

As you can hear, there will be a clicking noise after the boot process is complete. This sound is made by a relay in my opinion. In order to make the boot process run without noise as much as possible, I think that Line 6 used a relay in my opinion to decouple the sound from the outputs during the bootproces. And it is usually the relay components that are causing the problems. The contacts of the relays cannot make good contact for some reason at one time and I think that's what's going on in this problem. Switching off and on again causes the relay contacts to open and close again. And that can solve the problem because it also forces the contact surfaces to be cleaned of impurities. So I think this no-sound-issue is hardware related in the sense of a bad relay contact failure. 

Reading the experiences from other HX Stomp users, I’am considering to return the HX Stomp and return to an oldschoolpedalboard. 

1 hour ago, WvanHam said:

I have bought the blue version of the HX Stomp, just a month ago. This morning was my first experience with the HX Stomp's no sound situation. Everything on the display gave the illusion that everything was ok and that the HX Stomp should work properly. I checked the cabling, expression pedals, and switched presets. Nothing helped. So I turned off the HX Stomp and then restarted it. Problem solved and immediately searched on the Internet if more people had this experience.

As you can hear, there will be a clicking noise after the boot process is complete. This sound is made by a relay in my opinion. In order to make the boot process run without noise as much as possible, I think that Line 6 used a relay in my opinion to decouple the sound from the outputs during the bootproces. And it is usually the relay components that are causing the problems. The contacts of the relays cannot make good contact for some reason at one time and I think that's what's going on in this problem. Switching off and on again causes the relay contacts to open and close again. And that can solve the problem because it also forces the contact surfaces to be cleaned of impurities. So I think this no-sound-issue is hardware related in the sense of a bad relay contact failure. 

Reading the experiences from other HX Stomp users, I’am considering to return the HX Stomp and return to an oldschoolpedalboard. 

There are relays in the Stomp, but they switch between the analog bypass signal path and the DSP signal path. When the Stomp is powered down, it will pass audio because of the analog bypass path.

I don’t believe these issues are caused by the relays, because if they were, the result wouldn’t no signal, but rather just the dry signal coming through.

Is your Stomp updated the latest firmware?

I had it updated to the latest firmware before the nosound occurred. If the relays has the function as you stated, switching to the analog bypass when the HX Stomp is powered down, this also implies that when the HX Stomp is powered up that the relay normally switch to the DSP signalpath because that is the relay switching position when using the effects and that is also the switching position you might expect it to be in.The analog path switching position from the relay is therefor not active and that is also the reasonable explanation in the case that if the switching to the DSP signaal path is not working correctly that you also won’t be hearing a dry signal according to the fact that the relay is in the DSP signalpath position. So if the relay has to switch to the DSP signal path, and therefore don’t switch to the analog bypass path, when the HX Stomp is powered up, what would be your guess what is not working? I’m still guessing the relay. But I have already made up my mind and the HX Stomp is going back to the store. I like apparatus that are reliable and I don’t want to be bothered by the thought of a possible unsuspected malfunctioning.

Had the same issue after 3.01 update and stumbled on the fix. May not work for you and don’t know why it worked for me. 

Go to the input block, the first dot on the signal path. Turn the bottom (physical) knob one click to the right, which will change the input to USB. Then, turn the knob one click to the left to change it back to the normal guitar input.

After this, my sound came back. Had to do this to every preset and save each time. Sucked. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Berry_B said:

Go to the input block, the first dot on the signal path. Turn the bottom (physical) knob one click to the right, which will change the input to USB. Then, turn the knob one click to the left to change it back to the normal guitar input.

I just did this after going through the ordeal of my 1-hour old HX Stomp mysteriously ceasing to produce sound. It did the trick and my sound has returned.

But I'm not stoked on the idea of button mashing to make a brand new toy work.

I can’t check if your problem solving methode could have worked on my HX Stomp, because I have sent it back to the store. Luckily for me the store uses a 120-Day Money-back guarantee. So I wasted time with the Hx Stomp but no money. And the HX Stomp must be in the state of the nosound occurrence situation te be able to check if this solving methode is working. But as I earlier stated after powering off and directly after that powering on again solved on that moment the problem. 

But does the relay switch in the problem solving methode you used e.g do the relay have to switch in order to be able to change between the normal input and USB input? If that is the case, then the relay is still involved in the cause of the problem and in the solution to solve the problem (temporarily).

Temporarily is already stated by other owners of the HX Stomp.

• 2 months later...

Also had a no sound irregular issue.  Initially powering down and back up would work. Then not anymore.  Did a factory reset, reinstalled my backup files and it worked for 3 minutes and then shut down in the middle of playing for no obvious reason.  I don't know if it is due to the type of settings I created.  I am attaching the system backup just in case someone wants to look into it.

HX Stomp Backup 2021-Mar-20.hxb

• 1 month later...

I've had the same problem, my stomp has been working since I got it, and a few days ago it lost sound while connected to my computer. When it is off signal can get through but as soon as it comes on all sound stops. I've tried switching on and off, factory resetting, updating to the latest firmware and changing the input to USB then back to guitar, but nothing is working. Any Ideas on what I can do? I'm considering taking it to the local music store to see if they can do anything.

• 7 months later...

Old thread BUT THIS PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS in Helix/HX Firmware 3.11 -

ZERO SOUND OUTPUT on guitars [which I always run through my HX STOMP] in my recording studio, spent four hours pulling apart cable bays, f'ing about troubleshooting software configs, booting and rebooting my system completely, testing every cable on multiple aggregate interfaces; then boot then reboot  = what a f'in.......... pain in the lollipop>

Finally had to go to the basement and bring up the fender bassman to direct test the HX and what do you know..... NO SOUND output........ what a load of BS

Seriously how can I TRUST a device that works when it feels like it>

I certainly would NEVER trust this as a rig in a LIVE SITUATION...

WILL LINE 6 acknowledge and FIX THIS BS?????

I certainly hope so!

• 7 months later...

Still having trouble here folks, currently using 3.15 in the attempt to solve it but still no luck... 

Relay (as I've read from others) seems to be the problem as it doesn't click upon startup... I tried at least getting an output from Logic and just playing a midi keyboard through it and still NO SOUND... 

any help is appreciated

• 6 months later...

This thing just happened to me live. It was the last song in a set so it wasn’t the end of the world but it certainly sucks. I’m in 3.5. 

It happened after tuning. I could tune but the sound would not come out after disengaging it. As a matter of fact I have a compressor with LED Metering in the loop and the sound didn’t even get there. 

• 9 months later...

I also had the problem of suddenly no sound - after my stomp worked fine since years. And it was on day 3 of a 22 day long tour... So I was quite pissed. The other solutions (turning off and on again etc.) did not work.

BUT: This tour was the first time I used an expression pedal (OBNE expression ramper) controlling the output of the Shuffling Looper. So I unplugged the expression input and: Tadah! Everything worked fine since 17 shows now!

So it maybe worth a try for others with the same problem

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having this issue here, guys. Using firmware 3.71. The HX Stomp is with me for almost two years now and in the end of last year it froze completely for three times. I did factory reset and brought back just my working presets and IRs (it was the 3.70 version). Some weeks ago I updated it to 3.71 version and yesterday it got no sound at church just before the worshipping moment starts. On the first boot it got no sound and no signal on the tuner. I rebooted it, and then I got signal on the tuner, but not on the presets, and I also checked if it was a problem with the relay, but it wasn´t, because I have a MIDI controller with the true bypass funcition and I tested it: if I iwtched to the Bypass Mode I had sound coming, getting back to the HX Stomp presets I had not. And then I rebooted it for the third time and the sound came. I have no ideia how to fix that issue.