Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4cm with HX effects and HX stomp

stumblinman

Edit: I should have specified I’m using my amp as well. Trying to make HXFX, Stomp, and my amp work in harmony, not just HXFX and Stomp. Thanks guys. 

Been trying to draw this out on paper to figure out how to use HX effects pre and post amp using the effects loop as well as using the stomp for strictly amp models. 8 cable method? I dunno. Can’t seem to wrap my brain around how I would make it work. Hoping to justify simply adding a stomp to my hxfx instead of buying a Kemper so I can do it all. Been using a Kemper and setting up patches for my singer/second guitarist and I really love the sounds I’m getting, but it’s more frugal to add a stomp so that’s my current experiment. I love my Friedman, but I wouldn’t mind having options for Fender and Vox dirt. 

Anyone else currently running this setup? Thanks. 

If you want to use the HX stomp for amp/cab only and your HX effects for pre and post amp effects, one option is:

guitar into HX effects guitar input. Create a path with pre amp effects, then create an effects loop. After the effects loop you can create post amp effects. Place a cable from the HX effects loop “send” to the guitar input of the HX stomp (L). Then a cable from the HX stomp output (L) back to the “return” from the HX effect effects loop. Finally a cable from the HX effects output to your FRFR (or other amplification). 

Unless you want a lot of post amp effects, you may also be able to use the HX stomp for post amp effects. Even if you use separate amp and cab/IR, you still have four blocks left. 

I’m not using this setup by the way; besides the HX stomp I have a Helix floor.

I’m trying to be able to use either my amp distortion or have the option to bypass the preamp and put the hx stomp model into the power amp and keep using the hx effects in proper position pre and post. That’s where I’m struggling. Thanks for the reply. 

Ok, I think I may have sussed it out myself.  Let me know if this seems reasonable.  8 blocks to route in the HX Effects, and it's the brain, so this should work.  HX Stomp will be in FX Loop 2 on HX Effects.

Guitar-->HXFX In-->Dirt Block (#1)-->Tremolo Block (#2)-->Chorus Block(#3)-->FX Loop 1 Send Block(#4)-->FX Loop 2 Containing HX Stomp(#5)-->FX Loop 1 Return(#6)-->Delay Block (#7)--> Solo Boost Block(#8)-->Output

When I'm using the Friedman's preamp, FX Loop 1 send and return are active, and FX Loop 2 is inactive.  When I press a footswitch on HXFX, it turns Loop 1 send and return off, and turns Loop 2 on, using HX Stomp preamp model, which then feeds thru Loop 2 back into signal chain to hit post amp effects and feed into effects return on amp.  Sound right?  My brain hurts...

On 6/17/2019 at 5:23 AM, stumblinman said:

Edit: I should have specified I’m using my amp as well. Trying to make HXFX, Stomp, and my amp work in harmony, not just HXFX and Stomp. Thanks guys. 

That was certainly not clear to me that you wanted to use your amp as well. 

On 6/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, stumblinman said:

Ok, I think I may have sussed it out myself.  Let me know if this seems reasonable.  8 blocks to route in the HX Effects, and it's the brain, so this should work.  HX Stomp will be in FX Loop 2 on HX Effects.

Guitar-->HXFX In-->Dirt Block (#1)-->Tremolo Block (#2)-->Chorus Block(#3)-->FX Loop 1 Send Block(#4)-->FX Loop 2 Containing HX Stomp(#5)-->FX Loop 1 Return(#6)-->Delay Block (#7)--> Solo Boost Block(#8)-->Output

When I'm using the Friedman's preamp, FX Loop 1 send and return are active, and FX Loop 2 is inactive.  When I press a footswitch on HXFX, it turns Loop 1 send and return off, and turns Loop 2 on, using HX Stomp preamp model, which then feeds thru Loop 2 back into signal chain to hit post amp effects and feed into effects return on amp.  Sound right?  My brain hurts...

I think that would work, but I haven’t been using a setup like that. Still, if you’re only gonna use a delay and solo boost post Preamp, you might also be able to use the FX loop of the HXS to switch between your amp’s Preamp and one from the HXS and use the remaining blocks of the HXS for delay and boost. That leaves you more free blocks on the HXE ...

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, stumblinman said:

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a Kemper instead. But at least the info is here if someone else wants to make spaghetti to try and get tones they want. Kemper made it easy. 

Did you just plug it straight into your amp or get a FRFR for it?

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Did you just plug it straight into your amp or get a FRFR for it?

I have extra speaker cabs, so it’s going into my 2x12 with a Scumback BM75 and a Vintage 30. 

Bought the Powerhead version. I’m trying to simplify my setup and keep options for tones. I’ll keep my Relay G50 and just use a Wah and Volume Pedal but I’ll be able to do everything else I need with it. I don’t run complex tones and I don’t record at home. I play live and practice for live play, doing covers from 50’s to 2000’s in the rock/alternative vein, so it’ll get me where I need to go. I like the HX effects, but trying to integrate it with a stomp just became too much hassle and too many cables. I’ll just profile my Friedman and be good to go. 

• Like 1