Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV59 sound intermittent.

I have a Variax 600.   Back years ago, when I would play, it would occasionally sound as if someone was flicking the 5 position switch between patches.   I tracked it down to be the dreaded coffin shielding issue.   I coated the coffin in liquid electrical tape and it stopped.    I then bought a Variax 700 and had no problems.   Wanting the additional magnetic pickups, I then ordered a JTV59.  It has served me well since I bought it.   Up until this weekend, occasionally, I would get sounds that appeared to be a loose connection in my wireless, or a bad cable.   I would switch cables and it worked fine.  This weekend, it was the only guitar I brought that had problems.    My PRS Custom 24 worked fine with the wireless and all cables.   I'm wondering if there were any issues with this model.   It is a factory refurbished unit, but looked/played/sounded brand new from the beginning.   I don't know off the top of my head what version of flash I'm using.  I haven't hooked it up to HD Workbench in at least a year, but can check it out if it will help.   Thank you in advance.

These guitars get weird, and can behave in all sorts of strange ways. You can guess all day long, but without an actual diagnosis as to what's causing the problem, the only real option you have is to try re-flashing the firmware. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not... if the issue persists, then you may have a hardware problem... one or more switches, the main board, etc. In that case, you'll need to open a service ticket. Try the firmware first though...it might not help, but it's extraordinarily unlikely that it'll make things any worse.

My 2013 JTV59 suffers "B9" (former employer code for intermittent operation) over time.  Played daily 20-25 hours/week.  

Fix so far has been to reseat and clean (ProGold or electronics contact cleaner) the many JST/Molex connections running to/from the mainboard.  Afterwards works fine for several months but eventually must rinse & repeat.  

Another 2017 JTV59 has never displayed any sort of B9 problems or the push-push switching my 2013 suffered until reworking those controls.  I believe it's been said Line6 updated things somewhat over the course of few years.  

2013's needing frets soon so I may send it to our glorious moderator and top drawer Line6 tech when pulled outta daily service.  I'm certain he would be able to solve some the B9 stuff and other things for reasonable charge.  

"... needing frets soon so I may send it to our glorious moderator and top drawer Line6 tech when pulled outta daily service.  I'm certain he would be able to solve

some the B9 stuff and other things... "--- Six years old-ish. Happy to do so. Come to your uncle-P, for some techno TLC. Probably time for 50,000 mile check-up,...

rotate the tires, check under the hood,... work some worn frets. The usual stuff for one of that mileage. When you're ready, log a Support ticket and they'll get

things going for you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1