Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

helix preset vs Variax model

redbelo

when I create a preset , on the SNAPSHOT 1 - let suppose a clean electric on the Variax , then

I create a acoustic preset on SNAPSHOT 2  using the Variax - let suppose acoustic model on the Variax .

when I switch SNAPSHOT from 1 to 2 should the SNAPSHOT control the Variax , or the knob on the Variax will always be what's determines the guitar model ?

Yes, the Helix can control the Variax and this is all the interest to link those two devices to each other.

The first thing : you have to link it with the VDI cable, it won't work with 1/4"....

After that go on the second and third page on the input block.

Select "Per preset" in Variax settings.

Then go into the preset/snapshot you want to change. If you only want one guitar per preset ; select it. If you wanna change the guitar per snapshot, do as you do for other things, press on the knob and turn the button at the same time ; your model will appear into brackets....

You can select the tone, the volume, the alt tuning the same way !!!!

Have fun !!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Warning... If you own a first gen Variax (500, 300, 600, 700) then there are a few "gotcha's" to watch out for.

1. Helix to Variax communication is ONE WAY. You cannot chnage the model on the Variax and expect the Helix to store/recall that change accurately. You must set the model on the HELIX.
  2. If you want to change models per snapshot (as opposed to pre preset), you may want to set snapshots to "discard". Because of the problem described in #1, leaving it set to "recall" could cause unwanted confusion is you ever change models on the guitar during usage. Setting snapshots to discard always reloads the correct model every time you choose the snapshot. 
  3. The Helix can only load the factory guitars, and the ones you store in Custom 1 and Custom 2. If you save any modified guitars over their original locations (eg: modify the tele bridge and save it over the original tele bridge) the Helix will not load your modified version, it will only load the original factory version. (the modified version will still be available from the guitar itself)
  4. Alternate tunings from the Helix do not work with a 1st gen variax. You must store your alternate tunings in one of the custom locations and recall those guitars when needed.

These problems will not apply to a JTV, Standard or Shuriken Variax.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveFrance said:

Yes, the Helix can control the Variax and this is all the interest to link those two devices to each other.

The first thing : you have to link it with the VDI cable, it won't work with 1/4"....

After that go on the second and third page on the input block.

Select "Per preset" in Variax settings.

Then go into the preset/snapshot you want to change. If you only want one guitar per preset ; select it. If you wanna change the guitar per snapshot, do as you do for other things, press on the knob and turn the button at the same time ; your model will appear into brackets....

You can select the tone, the volume, the alt tuning the same way !!!!

Have fun !!!

thanks Steve , can I also do this on the helix edit on the computer ?

all I see is when I click on the Input/Variax than I go to the Variax settings I only have Per Preset and Global Settings , I don't have P/Snapshot , am I missing something here ? 

sorry if I am missing the point , is my 3rd day wit the Variax , for the record is a JTV69 , last version .

thanks for the help 

In fact, i don't play with Hx Edit so much....

I know it's possible, it took me a little time to find it again.

On the helix edit, you have a camera icon with a number inside a ring, select the number of snapshot on wich you want to work on (you can even change the name.

Then right click on the parameter you want to change in a block (for ex : the gain in an amp block), then go last on the list to select "snapshot", your parameter will appear white into brackets. Then change the selected snapshot and play with the same parameters.... Don't forget to save your presets or all will be forgotten !!!!

J.Sadites made a good vid on this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSJefCG70Kk