Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT - Presets With and Without Amp Models

kraftybob

My main amp is a Marshall DSL40C and I also have a Vox Valvetronics that I keep strictly as a backup - which means it's collecting dust.  I currently have the M13 and was thinking about upgrading from that to the HX Effects, but then started thinking about the Helix LT in that I could use that as my back-up instead of the Vox (and sell the Vox).  My thought is using the Helix LT for effects only when I'm playing through my DSL, but if my DSL is in repair, use the LT as my amp and effects (backup).  I've already compared the Helix and LT and I don't need the extra I/O that the Helix has, nor am I concerned about the chassis as I don't play out very often, so I would go with the LT.

My question is can I setup my presets so all my effects are Path A, and the amps & cabs in Path B, so when I'm playing through my DSL I would only have Path A active, but if I need the amp/cab sims, then just activate Path B in parallel?  This would negate the need for me to create a bunch of duplicate presets just to have the amp/cab option in one set and not the other.

I typically don't use a lot of effects so I don't see myself needing to setup parallel paths for just the effects - unless there's something I'm missing by not doing this?  Also, I'm more of an amp tone kind of guy so I'm not really interest in using the amp/cab sims unless I have to - which is why I bought the M13 and initially considered the HX Effects.

Thanks

1 hour ago, kraftybob said:

My question is can I setup my presets so all my effects are Path A, and the amps & cabs in Path B, so when I'm playing through my DSL I would only have Path A active, but if I need the amp/cab sims, then just activate Path B in parallel?  

The amps can't be in "parallel" ... they should be in series, the way a real amp would be setup. 

IMO... just create your patches with an amp block already in place..... just turn the amp block off when you save it. If your DSL goes down, you just need to activate the amp block and your are already good to go. 

(quickly checks the DSL40 manual) 

You should be thinking of four-cabling your DSL40 - so you can have your Wah and Tube Screamer emulations infront of the preamp and your echos and reverbs after.  

You can also change the amp channel via MIDI from the Helix.  

That will be a nice sounding, portable rig!

Hi Arkieboy:

That's exactly how I have the M13 configured with my DSL now (4CM) so I can put drive pedals up front and modulation/time based in the loop.  I also connect the MIDI out of the M13 to a VooDoo Lab Control Switcher that converts the signal to a relay, and then from there to the Footswitch jack on my amp so I can change the channel and turn Reverb on/off.  The problem with doing this 1) I can only change amp channels in Latch mode - I can't setup a preset in Stompbox mode to change the amp channel, and 2) there's a slight, but noticeable, delay when changing channels this way.

I would also setup the Helix LT in 4CM so I can route the pedals accordingly, but then as Codamedia said, also add in the amp/cab models but bypass them when I'm using my amp.  If not, then I would enable the amp/cab.  Best of both worlds.

• Upvote 1