Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Helix LT + Mesa Boogie Electra Dyne

Tahax92

Hi everyone,

I recently ordered my first Helix LT after 12 years with the Vox tonelab LE (which died last month), so I was using it in front of my Mesa Electra dyne using only the clean channel, so my question is what's the best way to use the helix with my setting ?

I saw the FX return way, the 4CM way, the plug straight in the front way, which one to choose ? I love the clean channel of my amp but I want to use as much as possible the helix :)

The helix is on it's way so I'm speaking to those who has or had a similar settings !

Another question, I have a Mesa high wire dual buffer booster and I use as a volume boost (end of the chain), so will it works as a volume boost if I plug it into one of the Helix's FX loops ?

Thks for the replies guys, I'm eager to play with it when it'll be there ! Cheers from Tahiti ! 

Use 4cm. put your front of amp effects first, then a Helix pre-amp, then an FX Loop Block, then your post amp effects.

Set it up to toggle the Helix pre-amp and FX Loop Block - when the FX Loop is ON, the Helix pre-amp is off and you're going through your amp's pre.

When the Loop is OFF the Helix pre-amp is ON and you're using the Helix pre-amp through your amp's power section.

Best of both worlds!

Thks for the reply, I'll try that first when i'll receive it for sure :) Could I use more than one preamp from the helix ? Like a ac30 style for crunch, a cali iV for rythm and a litigtaor for lead ? Would snapshots work for that ? 

Cheers !

I've never used more than 3. You can usually get 2 per path, but amps are very DSP intensive, so you start running out of resources for other things. Experiment. Have Fun!

Yes, you can use snapshots to change amps.

I usually use 2 amps. A clean amp and one that sounds good with a crunch and a heavy sound. Then I use snapshots to change the amp settings to get as many variations as those amps + OD/Distortion boxes can give me. Since you're going 4cm, you can also work your real pre-amp and amp channels in. VERY flexible arrangement.