Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Should Offer Low Cost/free Upgrade From Hd To Hd-x

DeAllen

you guys really don't "get" the internet, huh?....if you don't want to be a part of it, read another thread....I already get the most out of it, would've been nice to get what was advertised, too......

"This is the most blatant case of false advertising since my suit against the movie The Neverending Story."

lionel-hutz-advertisment.png

• Upvote 1

I bought the HD500 and not the HD PRO because I think using "PRO" in the name is false advertising. The EQ in the HD pro is Not pro  and that alone disqualifies it from being PRO and where are the professional compressors or limiters that come with every audio interface at that price??The parameters in the reverb are no where near the amounts of parameters required for reverbs normally used in recording!! No control over early reflections, or tale!! How do you call that PRO???   :P

I'm also aware of a concept called buyer beware, if you bought the HD pro for any other reason than form factor (RACK), then you didn't do your research, the extra dry out and AES/EBU I/O don't justify the price.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I bought the HD500 and not the HD PRO because I think using "PRO" in the name is false advertising. The EQ in the HD pro is Not pro  and that alone disqualifies it from being PRO and where are the professional compressors or limiters that come with every audio interface at that price??The parameters in the reverb are no where near the amounts of parameters required for reverbs normally used in recording!! No control over early reflections, or tale!! How do you call that PRO???   :P

I'm also aware of a concept called buyer beware, if you bought the HD pro for any other reason than form factor (RACK), then you didn't do your research, the extra dry out and AES/EBU I/O don't justify the price.

I purchased the HD500X pro and got exactly what was advertised, Nowhere did Line6 advertise that this unit came with any kind of advanced DSP over any of the other HD500 series. 

It's a pro unit primarily from it's rack mount factor(racked in a studio) and more I/O options. If you expected more , then you did not do your homework before purchasing.

And who is going to be using this in a pro environment and be relying on it for it's reverb? (which really is completely  comparable to any kind of guitar based reverb pedal, if not miles above them, excluding eventide style effects(which would cost you more then an entire HD500)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

• 1 month later...

As a good friend of mine used to say "Buy cheap, buy twice".

As someone said earlier, I hit the DSP limit on the first day of use when trying to replicate one of my pod X3 Pro dual tones on the HD. What a joke.

I'm a delay and verb maniac so you feel my pain.

Then the input circuitry when bad a week or two after that, I had to send it away for repair and the tech support could not replicate the symptoms. Actually the problem I experienced only got  fixed with the latest firmware release.

Then we have the grounding issues. Everytime I went out to play live with it, I found the hd pro to be overly sensitive to quality of grounding in the venue I was playing in. My rig is plagued with all sorts of HF and LF buzz (not hum, buzz) that the engineer has to solve with HP/LP filters, practically killing my tone. Using the ground lift swith on the pod or DI boxes used on stage does nothing.

My good old pod XT live is not affected by these grounding issues (the power source does not have to be 100% coorrectly grounded for it not to produce this insane amount of noise).

I even had my les paul recabled and reshielded using copper foil for 200$ thinking this would solve the problem but the problem is in the pod itself.

The other guitarist of my band has an all analog rig that uses tech 21 analog modeling gear and perhaps a dozen different pedals, his rig is dead silent regardless of the powering conditions.

Then there is the SPDIF issue, not being able to use the pod HD pro as for reamping while keeping the signal path fully digital is just ridiculous for something claiming to be of "pro" grade...

The only thing  I welcomed was the late addition of the soldano models, but sadly these models eat way more CPU than other models of the HD, which furter reduces the amount of FX I can use.

I would like to have patches with 3 different delays and 3 different reverbs and switch them on and off just like with real stomps using the fs5-8 mode on the FBV, but because of the DSP overload I have to use different patches for each delay/rev combination and hence need to suffer a patch switching delay, this makes the setlist design and live operation much too complex. Sometimes I screwed up my patch changes...

I decided to sell my  pod hd pro last week when I played my last gig, for all the problems I had and still have with it.

This unit is just flawed in too many aspects, I'm resigning to shell out lollipoploads of $$$ on an axe fx 2 soon,  hopefully I will get a simpler life with it, at least solve some of the problems I have. Or just buy a TC elec G something and an analog modelling preamp. I have wasted way too much time troubleshooting this unit, only to discover that the value was halved by them putting out the X a few month after I pruchased the non-X.

This unit sucks. Buy cheap, buy twice and waste time in between.

found your problem.

I hit the DSP limit on the first day of use when trying to replicate one of my pod X3 Pro dual tones on the HD

seriously.. so many people make this type of mistake...

if you approach it like a room full of amps and effects rather than a conversion for whatever you had before...

you get loads better results.

anyway... you apparently have other issues with your unit as well...

issues that myself and many others have not had...

it's not the product for you... we know...

good luck with your future products.

I would like to have patches with 3 different delays and 3 different reverbs and switch them on and off just like with real stomps using the fs5-8 mode on the FBV, but because of the DSP overload I have to use different patches for each delay/rev combination and hence need to suffer a patch switching delay, this makes the setlist design and live operation much too complex. Sometimes I screwed up my patch changes...

Yep. The POD HD device is not for you. Sounds like you need a more costly setup, either an array of analog delay and reverb pedals or something more in the Axe $$ range.

I'm sure you can find what you need - but not likely in the POD HD $ range.

That doesn't make the pod a cheap product; just means it is priced in a range with lots of other products that don't meet your needs.

We are victims of a psychological trick or is it just plain neglect?

You see when you communicate to an entity and that entity doesn't reply we crave answers and become stuck in mystery.

We fill that mystery with anything plausible to fill the void. A devil perhaps.

It is like that with Line 6. Many of us communicate on this forum in the hope we will be heard, understood and acknowledged.

There is you.

There is I.

We are known as the Line 6 community forum.

We only have each other.

Realize there is no such an interest from line 6 as they are not the user community.

We the users are making our stand here today.

No one from Line 6 , the developer, manufacturer is welcome here to the user forum to comment or respond to any posts in any way no matter how many times asked or begged by the uninitiated.

Herewith and henceforth any user on the forum asking or by inference implying for a comment from Line 6 can be admonished any any other user for doing so.

Any line 6 personnel answering or engaging in the forum shall be reported and be open for censor by any Line 6 user.

We the Line 6 Community have spoken.

• Upvote 1

No one from Line 6 , the developer, manufacturer is welcome here to the user forum to comment or respond to any posts in any way no matter how many times asked or begged by the uninitiated.

Herewith and henceforth any user on the forum asking or by inference implying for a comment from Line 6 can be admonished any any other user for doing so.

Any line 6 personnel answering or engaging in the forum shall be reported and be open for censor by any Line 6 user.

We the Line 6 Community have spoken.

Don't worry about it, nobody from the manufacturers or developers will EVER come here to respond.

The "funny" thing is, the only time I've seen a Line6 guy "participate" in a discussion on this forum that wasn't about some problem with the POD, it was only to say that we were off topic because we were talking about Led Zeppelin symbols :D 'Nuff said...

• Upvote 1

The "funny" thing is, the only time I've seen a Line6 guy "participate" in a discussion on this forum that wasn't about some problem with the POD, it was only to say that we were off topic because we were talking about Led Zeppelin symbols :D 'Nuff said...

Well let's get REALLY off topic then.  Who likes green bean caseroles?

I know if this level of "customer support" continues, I'm looking elsewhere when my 500 craps out...We shouldn't rely on user's testing to understand the panning/summing situation, level management, etc. If they can't get someone to at least respond to direct technical questions, maybe they should get out of the business of having customers all together.

• Upvote 1

I like Green bean stir fry as it is quicker to make.

There have been plenty of threads that deserved an answer or official response from Line 6.

Anyway I banned em so I know now there won't even be a possibility of a response. LOLOL

I did put in the ideas scale thingy of a DSP module that could store and / or augment memory and processing power.

HD Ultimate I think I called it to expand the current line using the Dlink.  Selling it making it a worthwhile endeavor for Line 6. 

Right now I like the HD500 as it is despite its shortcomings which aren't too bad in the overall scheme.

I bought the HD500 and not the HD PRO because I think using "PRO" in the name is false advertising. The EQ in the HD pro is Not pro  and that alone disqualifies it from being PRO and where are the professional compressors or limiters that come with every audio interface at that price??The parameters in the reverb are no where near the amounts of parameters required for reverbs normally used in recording!! No control over early reflections, or tale!! How do you call that PRO???   

Perhaps the "PRO" designation refers to:

1. a prefix, having anti- as its opposite, used to form adjectives that have the general sense “favoring†the group, interests, course of action, etc., denoted by the headword: pro-choice; pro-American; prowar; pro-digital amp modeling.

2. a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, with the meanings “forward,†forming esp. verbs denoting forward movement or location (proceed; progress), advancement (promote; propose), or bringing into existence (procreate; produce); “before, outside of†(profane); “in place of†(pronoun).
[< Latin prÅ-, pro-, comb. form representing prÅ pro1]

pro-2 ,

a prefix, occurring orig. in loanwords from Greek, with the meanings “before, beforehand, in front of†(prognosis; prophylactic; prothesis), “front part, extremity†(proboscis), “primitive or embryonic form,†“precursor†(prodrug; pronephros; prosimian, proamplification).

3. a prostitute
  • Upvote 1

1. a prefix, having anti- as its opposite, used to form adjectives that have the general sense “favoring†the group, interests, course of action, etc., denoted by the headword: pro-choice; pro-American; prowar; pro-digital amp modeling.

2. a prefix occurring in loanwords from Latin, with the meanings “forward,†forming esp. verbs denoting forward movement or location (proceed; progress), advancement (promote; propose), or bringing into existence (procreate; produce); “before, outside of†(profane); “in place of†(pronoun).

pro-2 ,

a prefix, occurring orig. in loanwords from Greek, with the meanings “before, beforehand, in front of†(prognosis; prophylactic; prothesis), “front part, extremity†(proboscis), “primitive or embryonic form,†“precursor†(prodrug; pronephros; prosimian, proamplification).

3. a prostitute

If a modeling amp "models" in a forest, and there are no tone-snobs (yes, I'm one too, so don't go getting all offended, all ye who read this post) there to hear it, does it sound convincing?

I would assume I could put 8 effects in my patches.....any of my patches.

You CAN definitely put 8 effects in ANY of your patches. Simply start with a blank patch, put in 8 effects, and go from there.

What you cannot do is put "ANY 8 effects you choose in combination with any amp or combination of amps" into ANY of your patches. It sounds like this is what you are asking for... unlimited combinations... until Line 6 builds a POD HD with enough DSP to run a patch with the most DSP intensive effect (was it the Harmonizer or one of the reverbs?) in all 8 effects slots in combination with 2 instances of the most DSP intensive amp there are still going to be people here maxing the thing out and complaining about it.

I would expect a POD HD with this much DSP (call it the POD HD MEGA!) to cost around $2500... not likely to be many takers at that price when most users could get a POD that works perfectly well for them for 1/5 the price, or a POD HD 500 combined with a POD PRO that would do more than 99% of all guitarists could ever ask for around $1000.

If you choose to use 8 effects in a patch your choice of which 8 effects you will be able to use will be limited. Your choice of which amps and how many amps you can use in that patch will also be limited, the limitations will be increased or decreased depending on which 8 effects you have chosen for the patch.

pro-2 ,

3. a prostitute

The thing is that with a word like "Pro" used as a descriptor there is no standard, agreed upon meaning. It's like when food companies use the word "natural" or "wholesome". They literally mean whatever the customer wants them to mean. The FDA doesn't have a standard that says that the product has to meet certain criteria in order for those words to be used.

correct me if I'm wrong, but "up to 8 simultaneous" means the same thing as "not more than 8 at a time" right?

Starting with "0", list the number of effects one might include in a patch on a POD HD.

Your list might look like this: 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Or like this: 5,2,7,8,1,4,3,6,0

"Up to 8 effects simultaneously" could mean 0 effects.

Or it could mean 1 effect. Or 2. Or 3. Or 4. Or 5. Or 6. Or 7. Or 8.

Counting from 0 "up to" 8, zero is a number of effects one might choose to include in a patch on a POD HD. The other possibilities are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8.

Any number of effects from 0 to 8 are "Up to 8".

Yes, you are right, 0-8 effects is "not more than 8 at a time".

So, does "not more than 8 at time" mean "about 8, but sometimes less"?

Well, let's find out... do you agree that 1 effect is "not more than 8"?

Would two effects be "not more than 8"?

Based on what I learned as a child, any number of effects from zero to eight would be "not more than 8".

Nine effects would definitely be more than eight. Eight effects would be the same as eight, neither more nor less than eight.

If you change one word in your question... change it from "about 8, but sometimes less" to "SOMETIMES 8, but sometimes less", then yes that would be the same as "up to eight". All of the possible numbers of effects one might include in a patch on a POD HD from zero to 8 would definitely be "sometimes 8, but sometimes less" and " up to 8" and for sure "not more than 8"

The page that lists the feature comparison for the HD series has a bullet point that says "Up to 8 Simultaneous Effects"

There is no asterisk with a disclaimer, there is no mention of NOT being able to use 8 simultaneous effects.

Obviously no-one wants to waste the time and money to sue the company over it...

The advertising says you can use up to 8 simultaneous effects, you CAN use up to 8 simultaneous effects, there are factory patches that use 8 simultaneous effects.

I wish someone would try to sue over this, take Line 6 onto one of those TV courtroom shows, it would be quite entertaining.

Judge Joe Brown: "So you are suing because you didn't understand what the words "up to" meant...?

Plaintiff: "Yes your honor..."

Judge Joe Brown: "My ruling is in favor of the defendant. Court is adjourned. Go to commercial..." or whatever they say on those shows. Hmm, that would be a pretty short episode... he would probably have to do some character attacks and make fun of both parties or ask for lots of inconsequential information about how modeling works or something to pad out the segment. Still would be fun to watch!

just ignorant.

Erm... :mellow:

You CAN definitely put 8 effects in ANY of your patches. Simply start with a blank patch, put in 8 effects, and go from there.

What you cannot do is put "ANY 8 effects you choose in combination with any amp or combination of amps" into ANY of your patches. It sounds like this is what you are asking for... unlimited combinations... until Line 6 builds a POD HD with enough DSP to run a patch with the most DSP intensive effect (was it the Harmonizer or one of the reverbs?) in all 8 effects slots in combination with 2 instances of the most DSP intensive amp there are still going to be people here maxing the thing out and complaining about it.

I would expect a POD HD with this much DSP (call it the POD HD MEGA!) to cost around $2500... not likely to be many takers at that price when most users could get a POD that works perfectly well for them for 1/5 the price, or a POD HD 500 combined with a POD PRO that would do more than 99% of all guitarists could ever ask for around $1000.

If you choose to use 8 effects in a patch your choice of which 8 effects you will be able to use will be limited. Your choice of which amps and how many amps you can use in that patch will also be limited, the limitations will be increased or decreased depending on which 8 effects you have chosen for the patch.

All it need to do what it says it does is SLIGHTLY higher powered processor....or they could have made the specification correct and put an asterisk in there to clarify...not that lollipoping complicated. Why the hell would a POD HD that can run any of its 8 effects simultaneously cost $2500? where are your numbers on this?

just let it die... whatever it means to you.... it means something very different here.... whether you and i agree or not...

wishing it meant something else does not make it so...

in laymans terms.. it is what it is.. accept or dont accept... it still is what it is.

The thing is that with a word like "Pro" used as a descriptor there is no standard, agreed upon meaning. It's like when food companies use the word "natural" or "wholesome". They literally mean whatever the customer wants them to mean. The FDA doesn't have a standard that says that the product has to meet certain criteria in order for those words to be used.

Uh, I think I was joking... but really, how many of the people buying the HD PRO are "professionals"? Any piece of gear is "PRO" if someone is using it professionally, and no amount of DSP or added features are going to make a person or a piece of gear "PRO".

Many "PRO" guitarists (people who make their living playing guitar) would have no use for most of the features on the POD PRO and some bedroom players might need it to do things only gear costing 10X the price would do.

Which is to say, I agree, putting "PRO" on a piece of gear means next to nothing - tho I wish it did.

I think the "PRO" designation made sense on the PODS at some point because, in general, for most bedroom players a bean would be fine and not many bedroom guys have their gear mounted in racks but many "PROS" do - there were probably more rack guys back when the original POD PRO was introduced.

TL;DR: in Line6 land "PRO" means "rackmount", any additional features are a bonus.

"Up to" me means I should be able to put 8 effects in a chain, and if there isn't clearly a side note to that, then its not accurate. Thanks for your overly long, totally pointless, proved-nothing post. I hope you feel better.

1. You CAN put 8 effects in a chain. If you can't figure that out please look at the "Getting Started" online guide or one of the countless guides on Youtube showing how to create a chain and add effects. If you still can't figure it out maybe get a friend to help. Or just scroll through the factory presets, some of them already 8 effects in a chain.

2. So if "Up to 8" to me means I should be able to put 9 effects in a chain, the POD should let me put 9 effects there?

The problem seems to be a misunderstanding of English language/ common usage.

You misunderstood the language in the L6 advertising. I get it, you want "up to 8 simultaneously" to mean the same thing as "Any 8 available at any time and with any combination of amps" but look at the difference between those two phrases... If you choose to refuse to see the light no one can help you, but the problem is yours, not Line 6's

All of this is understandable if English is not your first language, otherwise I fear you may be reinforcing a negative stereotype involving metal musicians (full disclosure:I love metal)...

kanye_gayfish-300x218.jpg

sp_1305_09.jpg

"Why can't you just get it, man...?"

Eh, get it or or don't.

Good talk.

All it need to do what it says it does is SLIGHTLY higher powered processor..

It already "does what it says it does".

To do what you believe it should be able to do would take many times the current available processing power.

Why the hell would a POD HD that can run any of its 8 effects simultaneously cost $2500? where are your numbers on this?

If you reread my post you will find it to say "I would expect (it) to cost around $2500".

My numbers are based on this:

Use the most DSP intensive effect with the most DSP intensive amps and you will be limited to, what, 1 or 2 effects in the patch?

To fill all 8 effects slots with the most DSP intensive effects I estimated you would need around 5X the DSP.

I then multiplied the price of the HD500 by 5 and came up with "around $2500". Close to what an Axe/FX costs, yes?

This is what I would expect it to cost, it was a rough estimate, maybe my math sucks, maybe it would only need 3X the power, maybe it would need 8X the DSP, maybe it would only cost $2000, maybe it would be $3000, but $2500 is, as I stated, what I would EXPECT it to cost.

if you have more accurate numbers please feel free to post them here and tell us how you came up with them.

Or if you have a guesstimate, feel free to post that too and tell us why your numbers are different than mine. Maybe I am way off, though I doubt it I would love to read about anyone else's wild speculation and reasoning process.

Either way I am open minded to the possibility I am wrong... and that's one to grow on! :)

Kim_Fields_One_to_Grow_On.png

Regarding to this: best solutions with 2 steps

1)Next POD HD to have the possibility the user to change the dsp by himself

2)Line 6 be more accurate when advertises a thing, and cut the hype.

3) Line 6 teaches all potential customers English language/ proper usage so that ad copy can not possibly be misunderstood.

Or they could OVERSTATE everything to make it much more difficult to misunderstand, but I doubt you will see any  bullet points saying " X amount of DSP, and X number of effects and X number of amps all requiring different amounts of DSP, that can be arranged and used in any combination you like until DSP is exhausted" along with a listing of the DSP requirements of every effect and amp model any time soon.

That would probably confuse many more people than the few who understood "Up to 8 simultaneously" to mean the same thing as "any combination of any 8 effects always available with any combination of amp models"

I do like the idea of being able to add DSP the same way I add ram to my computer, this is not entirely without precedent as L6 made replacement/upgrade prom chips available for the old PODS, but I do not expect to see this DSP feature in my lifetime.

Come on, surprise me Line 6! :)

Well, I guess you can turn semantics which ever way fits your need.

You can do whatever you like, it's a free internet.

If someone told me I could have 8 items at a store, but when I got in line they said "Oop, seven and eight need to go back, they're too big" I'd say "fVck you, those weren't the rules"

Did the store say "ANY eight items in the store will fit on the conveyor belt"? Or did they say "UP TO eight items simutaneously"? Or did you just misunderstand them? When you bring 8 sailboats up the the register at Walmart do you demand they rebuild the conveyor belt so that it can hold your eight sailboats? Sheesh, I get stuck in line behind people like that all the time... and my response is always the same... "Who needs eight sailboats...?"

My van is advertised as holding up to 15 passengers, but capacity is greatly reduced if all the passengers look like this:

huge_muscles.jpg

huge_man.jpg

I know you want Line 6 to have meant "any 8 effects in any combination with any 2 amps" but if that is what they meant that is probably what they would have said.

Tonite was my first real deal with HD500. (Yes. I know i'm late with my gear updates) After few weeks of inspecting, learning and tweaking i took it as part of working gear. Gotta say that it is unbelieveable piece of machinery. I didn't have junk in old setup, but now compared to HD500 they surely sounded like junk. Members of the band started listening me instead of doing their jobs.

My english leaves me in trouble here. It seems i can't find words to describe tonites success. I lost 10 years of my too many of them while playing.

Its the air... Dynamics are in completely new level. The air was full of crystal clear sparkles, echoes, creamy leads, screaming tube overdrives, and me in middle of all that.

Those, who feel that their gear is useless and don't want their HD's anymore: feel free to send them to me. I'll take every single one.

But jonhhyayyy. Please, please, please do not sent those Tonnage Twins. Even if i feel like The Man after tonites set, there seems to be certain limitations even in The Man. It seems that while HD500 can't overload its cpu with unnecessary amounts of modulations and filters, i reach my limits being not capable to be a man for a (supposedly) females bigger than an STW.

But jonhhyayyy. Please, please, please do not sent those Tonnage Twins. Even if i feel like The Man after tonites set, there seems to be certain limitations even in The Man. It seems that while HD500 can't overload its cpu with unnecessary amounts of modulations and filters, i reach my limits being not capable to be a man for a (supposedly) females bigger than an STW.

:D

Happy to hear the HD500 is working out for you, IMO the HD is a great piece of gear that does what it is supposed to do very well. Come to think of it, after all the free updates Line 6 has given us my HD500 does WAAAAAAYYYYY more than it was advertised to do when I bought it... Thanks Line 6, my satisfaction with the HD500 almost makes up for all the disappointments I have experienced with my JTV. :)

The Pro is probably arrived at from Pro audio. Professional Audio; a purchaser of, also known as a Prosumer. 

The better gear used by a Commercial or Project Studio  and even a home recording musician is Pro Audio.

Pro Audio ranges from anything that is rack mountable for use live or in a studio. And there is plenty of cheap rack devices to high end expensive equipment.

The HDPRO is intended as a rack mountable device for use in a studio.  It is directly competing with Eleven Rack, Fractal's AxeII and the KPA.

• Up To  Definition

used as a function word to indicate a limit or boundary <up to 50,000 copies a month>

Lose UP TO 50 lbs.

Save UP TO $50

Gets UP TO 30 mpg

Will last UP TO 6 months

UP TO means that's the top limit that you will get, NOT that you will always get that amount.  If you haven't figured out what UP TO means after being inundated with this particular term in advertising for decades, then you probably can't be helped.  You may want UP TO to mean something else but it doesn't.  The way it was used in the Line 6 advertising was not deceptive or a lie.  Did it paint the HD in the best possible light?  Absolutely.  That's why the advertising people used it and why it is so commonly used in advertising.

"Up to" me means I should be able to put 8 effects in a chain, and if there isn't clearly a side note to that, then its not accurate. Thanks for your overly long, totally pointless, proved-nothing post. I hope you feel better."

You ARE able to put 8 effects in a chain, just not all the time.  8 is the most, the limit, the maximum of what you can put.  But you could get less.  Just like it has been used in advertising for decades.  And just as the definition shows, it indicates an UPPER boundary (hence the use of the word UP).  As soon as I saw that term in the HD advertising I knew I wouldn't be able to always use 8 effects.  Ya know why?  I know what UP TO means.  I'm sorry you didn't and apparently still don't.