Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Should Offer Low Cost/free Upgrade From Hd To Hd-x

DeAllen

• Up To  Definition

used as a function word to indicate a limit or boundary <up to 50,000 copies a month>

Lose UP TO 50 lbs.

Save UP TO $50

Gets UP TO 30 mpg

Will last UP TO 6 months

UP TO means that's the top limit that you will get, NOT that you will always get that amount.  If you haven't figured out what UP TO means after being inundated with this particular term in advertising for decades, then you probably can't be helped.  You may want UP TO to mean something else but it doesn't.  The way it was used in the Line 6 advertising was not deceptive or a lie.  Did it paint the HD in the best possible light?  Absolutely.  That's why the advertising people used it and why it is so commonly used in advertising.

"Up to" me means I should be able to put 8 effects in a chain, and if there isn't clearly a side note to that, then its not accurate. Thanks for your overly long, totally pointless, proved-nothing post. I hope you feel better."

You ARE able to put 8 effects in a chain, just not all the time.  8 is the most, the limit, the maximum of what you can put.  But you could get less.  Just like it has been used in advertising for decades.  And just as the definition shows, it indicates an UPPER boundary (hence the use of the word UP).  As soon as I saw that term in the HD advertising I knew I wouldn't be able to always use 8 effects.  Ya know why?  I know what UP TO means.  I'm sorry you didn't and apparently still don't.

:)

While we're at it.  Can someone please call Apple and give me an upgrade with the iPhone 6 comes out, and someone please call Dodge when the 2015 RAM comes out so I can upgrade my truck?  LOL.  Lame.

dumbest. response. ever.

Its not asking for a new one, its asking for continued support, just like the OS on a PC, or you current iPhone....well, I guess if you're an Apple user you expect OS support to be dropped when the new one comes too, right. Imagine if Windows XP never had any Service Packs....or stopped after 1....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Uhm..... the topic is: line-6-should-offer-low-costfree-upgrade-from-hd-to-hd-x

which is hardware...  his reply was directed at the topic not you directly... so i'm not sure why you are taking as if he was making an argument against whatever it is you personally want...

dumbest. response. ever.

Its not asking for a new one, its asking for continued support, just like the OS on a PC, or you current iPhone....well, I guess if you're an Apple user you expect OS support to be dropped when the new one comes too, right. Imagine if Windows XP never had any Service Packs....or stopped after 1....

By the way the HD500X wasn't some kind of Line 6 conspiracy to get people to buy another HD500 since it was slightly upgraded.  Nor to screw earlier owners.  The chip they were using was discontinued.  The chip they were able to replace it with and maintain the cost, had more power.  So, if you're the manufacturer,what would you do?  Here were their options.

1. Not tell anyone and not use the extra power, thereby avoiding crappy threads like this.

2. Use the extra power and not tell anyone.  Now  HD500's made past a certain date seem to have more power.  WTF!!! etc.  Imagine the controversy if they'd done it that way.  So if I'm going to use the extra power and want to let everyone know it's there how do I do that?

3.Just put an extra letter designation in the model name and hey, maybe even improve another thing or two while we're at it.

The chip discontinuance was never planned.  If it hadn't been discontinued and the chip they're using now was available, I doubt they would have have done this little 500X upgrade, but they had to use the new chip.  It just happened and I think they handled it exactly the way they should have.

If you got an older HD500, sorry about that, they couldn't have provided the HD500x's power and maintained the price they wanted at the time.  And the slight upgrade in power was not a plan, it just happened.  Line 6 handeled it in just the right way.

Its not asking for a new one, its asking for continued support, just like the OS on a PC, or you current iPhone....

Wait, has Line6 discontinued support for the POD HD series?

Hadn't heard about this - I thought they just released an update a couple of months ago... and as I recall they said another is coming "soon"...

The PODHD is still supported.  This is the Snicker's Bar thread for people whining about updates.  Maybe if they ate a Snicker's bar they wouldn't be so whiny...  But it gives me something to read while I wait for the snow to melt and the weather to warm up.

• 2 months later...

Can I write here again? All these words about one thing: We all ready to upgrade all gadgets around us. My TV upgradable. My refrigerator upgradable. All things around us ready to get new software. Ok. Line 6 made first upgradable guitar. This is GREAT! How long they need to support old hardware for no cost? I think 5 years is enough. But....

The guitar is other case. If you got new guitar for USD 1000 twenty years ago, how much it will be today?

Ok. No upgrade for my Variax 700 to JTV for less money. But guitar still have two big part: pice of wood and electronic.
I like my pice of wood in Variax 700. Let me choice to buy new JTV or renew my Variax 700 for USD 300-500. Is it good deal for users?
I think yes.
Is it good deal for Line 6? I think yes. What do they get?
1. No big loss. I mean no big profit but also no big expences.
2. All old Variax users will be happy.
3. New users will be happy to buy new JTV with "long life support". They will see how happy was old users of Line 6 Variax. Line 6 will be recomended all old users. What cost to get that kind of reputation today?

You think support of old hardware will kill sales of JTV? First, upgraded Variax 700 will be more expensive than first line of JTV. Second, all of them is used. Third, James Taylor have good name. There is many new shapes and magnetic pickups can do all things for new marketing. JTV is a big step forward.

What did I get now? All players of usual guitar can upgrade their pice of wood in any time. There is a new pickups, new hardware etc.

But no support for Variax 700. It is no good for many reasons. But first, is the fact Line 6 guitar isn't good decision for protect of investments.
Guitar is not a gadget. Not yet.

• Upvote 1