Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay settings

djpgreek

Hello folks... need some HX Stomp delay settings recommendations. I use humbuckers and fx loop of my amp. I try diaing them in but I feel like its either too much or not enough.... so Id like some recommendations for mono delay.

Loking for:

Medium/long Tape or Digital settings for classic rock solos....

Shorter /slap analog, tape or digital for aways on delay for space/ rhythm playing

thanks

The key parameters you need to deal with will be Time, Feedback, and Mix.  These are the ones that will dial in the basic sound which can then be refined with the other parameters.

For myself I prefer to deal with Time based on note values rather than milliseconds.  In order to do this you need to set the tempo for your patch by touching (not pressing) the Tap button and dialing in the Beats Per Second (BPS) of the song you'll be playing.  I then personally prefer a 1/8 not or dotted 1/8 note so the echo is synchronized with the song I'm playing.

Feedback is the number of repeats.  Generally 10% is one repeat, 20% is two repeats and so on.

The Mix parameter is how prominent the delays will be.  I normally set this between maybe 15 to 20%, but you can go higher if you want a really wet delay.  But you have to be careful because if you're playing a busy rhythm part it can become muddy very quickly with too much delay in the mix.

In my opinion it's very easy to dial in too much delay which might sound great by itself, and very noisy and distracting when played in a band setting, so a lighter touch always works best.  The key to delay is to not make it prominent until you mute the guitar, and for most of the time it's just there in the background.

That will help me as well Duned, I'm in the same boat as the OP, either seems like too much or too little.  I typically set my feedback around 10-20% (usually 15%) and my mix around 30% and only turn it on for my solo's.  I just use the mono delay and also set mine to BPM.  I think I stomp my BPM differently than I'm supposed to though, I usually end up with either 1/2 or 1/4 regular/dotted notes for my time based setting. 

When I set up my recent presets I looked up the BPM's of the songs in our sets and saved them to my song presets....and noticed that I had to adjust my time setting from the usuals to more of the 1/4 or 1/8 dotted.  I usually tap the main kick/snare beats in a 1,2,3,4 beat...I've always struggled with this simple concept, lol.

Early on I got into setting the Tempo on all my patches for several reasons, delays being one of them.  My patches are all song specific so it's easy to set it up that way.  Aside from being able to use it for effects, it's also quite handy so the drummer can use my flashing light to set bring us into the song.  The good thing about having a consistent BPM for each song is that we can very precisely manage our time.  This is very handy when we're playing in a multi-band performance scenario with each band held to a specific length of time.  There's nothing more aggravating to me than a band that's supposed to play for 40 minutes playing for and hour and 15 minutes.  That's SOOOO inconsiderate to the other bands and so unprofessional.

• Like 1

I AGREE!!!  I recently got turned on to the Bandhelper app...and have loaded all our songs and such into there.  I researched the song length as recorded and BPM's.  Its nice when building setlists cause you can enter pauses in the set for talking, and also time between songs.  I have 1 minute for pauses and 3 seconds for between songs, but then when you add songs to a set it gives you the length of the set/night in total.  We even have 'extra' sets in case the audience favors one style of music over another and it can exclude those from the total nights sets.  Its really a useful tool to help you be consistent....tons of other features in there as well....for $6.00 a month, I can enter all our gigs and contacts into it and everyone has access to everything....sends notifications of gigs and you can set them up that each member has to accept it.  its pretty slick, but like most quality things, its only as good as the information you put into it what your going to get out.

sorry got sidetracked....

5 hours ago, djpgreek said:

So anyone got some recommended settings or which delays they use?

150 to 100 is slap, with feedback set to 5-10, and mix to 11 before amp.

290-300 ms, with feedback to 25-35, mix 11-12, is for lead.  

If you use them after the amp, same settings, just rise the mix to arround 28-37

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, arislaf said:

150 to 100 is slap, with feedback set to 5-10, and mix to 11 before amp.

290-300 ms, with feedback to 25-35, mix 11-12, is for lead.  

If you use them after the amp, same settings, just rise the mix to arround 28-37

Very good point to start with some experiments! :-)

In case of playing rhythm parts I often use a ducked delay. The delays are nearly muted as long as you play. When you stop playing they will be to the fore.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, teo-torriate said:

Very good point to start with some experiments! :-)

In case of playing rhythm parts I often use a ducked delay. The delays are nearly muted as long as you play. When you stop playing they will be to the fore.

I like ducked delays, just horrible at setting them up...again either too much or none at all.  I have a hard time setting the threshold/release on the ducking parameters..