Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Potential Helix user with a couple of questions

bruceclark1

Hi, I am thinking of buying the Helix LT and I wonder if anyone can give me some advice. 

When you buy the unit does it come with the software and the cable or is that an extra?

secondly what do you use for speaker? I have a Spider 4 75 and a Marshall DSL40. Can I use one of them and get the benefit of the Helix amp modelling or should I get an FRFR?

TIA

Bruce

It's been a while since I got mine, but as I remember it did come with a cable.  It's a cheap one but one that would work.  I'd suspect you'll end up getting a better one that's longer.  The firmware was loaded on the Helix and it came with a thumb drive that contained the manual and (maybe) an older copy of HXEdit for editing from your PC or Mac.  It doesn't really matter in that regard because in all likelihood the first thing you'd want to do is log on to the Line 6 web site, download and install the latest version of HXEdit, which will install all appropriate drivers and the Line 6 Updater software.  You would then run the Updater and install the most recent version of the firmware onto the Helix.

When it comes to whether you would use an amp or get an FRFR, that's really a matter of preference.  If you choose to go through an amp you'd want to make sure it's got an effects insert line that would allow you to bypass the pre amp and just use the power amp and cabinet, or use a 4CM setup.  In either case you could use the amp modeling, but not the cabinet modeling as you're already using a real cabinet.  You could still use the cabinet modeling if you were going direct to a PA.  In that case you might have a separate signal chain for the amp and for the direct to PA.

An FRFR setup would allow you to use all the features without limitations and that same signal chain would work for a direct to PA situation as well.

I’ve been impressed by the Line 6 Powercab Plus ... so much so that I bought a second one for stereo. After having tried amps and FRFR speakers this option presented itself and I’m glad I explored it. 

• Like 1

I've tried running the headphones out via a stereo 1/4 to the aux in on my Spider 4 75, and it wasn't very satisfying.  I have done the same with my Spider 5 240hc, and it sounds great.  I also run the output from the helix into the effects return on my DT25 and that sounds fantastic. 

I mostly use the Headrush 12 frfr for my practice and dialing in tones.  I'm very happy.

41 minutes ago, Thark said:

I’ve been impressed by the Line 6 Powercab Plus ... so much so that I bought a second one for stereo. After having tried amps and FRFR speakers this option presented itself and I’m glad I explored it. 

Yes, after a FRFR system, i find that the PC+ really brings this "amp in the room" feeling. Is that really better to have a second one ?

On 6/20/2019 at 9:39 AM, SteveFrance said:

Yes, after a FRFR system, i find that the PC+ really brings this "amp in the room" feeling. Is that really better to have a second one ?

Actually, I’m so lazy that I have one at home and one at a bandmate’s house where we rehearse. Don’t use them for stereo very often. :)

On 6/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, Thark said:

Actually, I’m so lazy that I have one at home and one at a bandmate’s house where we rehearse. Don’t use them for stereo very often. :)

I ask myself the same. Now, i'm heavier than when i just use to bring the Helix and my guitar direct to the FOH....

But i'm curious how a couple of PC can fill the room too.... 

On 6/24/2019 at 1:20 AM, SteveFrance said:

I ask myself the same. Now, i'm heavier than when i just use to bring the Helix and my guitar direct to the FOH....

But i'm curious how a couple of PC can fill the room too.... 

If by fill the room you mean are they loud enough together the answer is yes. Of course, this will depend on the volume that your bandmates are playing at but they would have to be playing pretty loud to drown out two PCs. Also, they sound great in stereo, even though the audience may not be able to hear it.

We don't play very loud with my band, i don't need more power. I feel the powercab is very directionnal, i assume that its design make it don't spread all the sound everywhere as an open back cabinet can do....So the add of another PC+ can eventually solves this matter.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, Thark said:

Same here! What a fantastic product!