Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is HX Stomp the right choice for me?

Mat_B

Should I be getting HX Stomp? Will it do what I want it to do? At first I was leaning towards HX Effects but an option to go ampless is very appealing. 

The way I would like to use HX Stomp is:

- connect to my Mesa Rectoverb via 4 Cable Method to be able to have effects before and after preamp

- put some analogue pedals in Stomp's FX Loop so these can be 'added' to the signal chain within a preset

- have Stomp change my amps channel

- have Stomp control Whammy via MIDI

- have an expression pedal to control various things

Asking for a lot from such a little box, I know. But can Stomp do all that?

1 hour ago, Mat_B said:

Should I be getting HX Stomp? Will it do what I want it to do? At first I was leaning towards HX Effects but an option to go ampless is very appealing. 

The way I would like to use HX Stomp is:

- connect to my Mesa Rectoverb via 4 Cable Method to be able to have effects before and after preamp

- put some analogue pedals in Stomp's FX Loop so these can be 'added' to the signal chain within a preset

- have Stomp change my amps channel

- have Stomp control Whammy via MIDI

- have an expression pedal to control various things

Asking for a lot from such a little box, I know. But can Stomp do all that?

You mention wanting to go amp-less... but there's nothing amp-less about your proposed rig. If you like the Mesa and want to continue to use it, then the HX FX makes more sense, and will give you a few more footswitch options than the Stomp.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

You mention wanting to go amp-less... but there's nothing amp-less about your proposed rig. If you like the Mesa and want to continue to use it, then the HX FX makes more sense, and will give you a few more footswitch options than the Stomp.

I want to be able to use my Mesa with the effects from Line 6, but also be able to take just the pedalboard with me for those ampless situations.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

YES to 4cm

YES to pedals in Loop

NO to changing amp channels

NO to most things requiring configurable OUTGOING MIDI

YES to Exp Pedal control of Stomp effects

So it is possible to have 4CM and simultaneously have some pedals in FX Loop and be able to engage this loop whenever I want and therefore add those pedals to the signal chain? Looking at Stomp pictures I can only see one FX Loop. How would I connect this up?

So MIDI is fairly limited then? 

8 minutes ago, Mat_B said:

I want to be able to use my Mesa with the effects from Line 6, but also be able to take just the pedalboard with me for those ampless situations.

So it is possible to have 4CM and simultaneously have some pedals in FX Loop and be able to engage this loop whenever I want and therefore add those pedals to the signal chain? Looking at Stomp pictures I can only see one FX Loop. How would I connect this up?

So MIDI is fairly limited then? 

One stereo fx loop or two mono with adapters to split the 1/4" send. And you'd be using 2 of the 6 available blocks and 2 of the 3 footswitches right there.

MIDI is VERY limited - fixed PC only - corresponding to the preset - preset 01A = PC#000, 01B = 001 etc

Unless you're really wanting to use your Mesa power amp section with different pre-amps, or the ampless thing is really important, you're better off with HXFX as cruisinon2 said.

Now, for a third opinion.

I think you're better off going HX Effects just like everyone else said.  

The Stomp would be for you if:

1. You had several other pedals you ALSO wanted to use in 4 cable method - this makes size a premium and the Stomp's advantage clear. 

2. You want amp modelling. The HX Effects has none, so that route won't work. 

Since your description above is focused on four cable with only one effects pedal (HX Effects or Stomp) I think the HX Effects is the obvious choice. 

7 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Now, for a third opinion.

I think you're better off going HX Effects just like everyone else said.  

The Stomp would be for you if:

1. You had several other pedals you ALSO wanted to use in 4 cable method - this makes size a premium and the Stomp's advantage clear. 

2. You want amp modelling. The HX Effects has none, so that route won't work. 

Since your description above is focused on four cable with only one effects pedal (HX Effects or Stomp) I think the HX Effects is the obvious choice. 

I'm guessing it'll be 4CM 80% of the time. As for the additional pedals I have couple of fuzzes and a POG. I don't mind if all of those pedals live in one FX Loop, as long as they are in a programmable loop.