Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Fishman Triple Play/Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 routine

fenderbenderlax

Hello all,

I have been toying with getting some synth sounds out of my rig. I have a Fishman Triple Play (FTP) unit and have the trial version of the Midi Guitar 2 with jam origin. My big problem is getting the routing straightened out with the helix as my main sound source. Let me explain this in a bit more detail

What am I trying to achieve? 

My main idea is to have my core guitar patch coming out of the helix as being the dominant sound but occasionally use synth sounds for certain parts of the song (e.g. the synth part in Rebel Yell by Billy Idol). I had a look at several youtube videos. For example, this video here demonstrates pretty much what I would like to achieve with this set up

The routing I use is slightly different from the video above. In my case, the Guitar with FTP -> Helix; Helix USB and FTP dongle --> Powered USB hub; Powered USB hub--> Camera connection kit adapter into the IPAD. The outputs from the helix (1/4) goes into my FRFR. 

Problem: My big problem is that I'm unable to separate the synth and the guitar. I would like to be able to separate the two sounds and also maybe even integrate them using an expression pedal. In the video above, it looks like Mark activates the synth sound by using a foot switch. However, my midi programming skills are virtually non existent, so any direction on how that can be programmed in would be great. 

Another alternative that I have considered is using Jam Origin's Midi Guitar 2. I only have the trial version but my feeling is that the FTP is superior with respect to tracking and latency but I'm might be completely wrong. Nevertheless, again I found this youtube video which I thought was fairly straightforward to implement. 

The routing in this case seems fairly easy. My guitar goes into the helix. The Helix USB is connected to the camera connection kit and the outputs (1/4 inch) goes into my FRFR. 

Problem: I pretty much did exactly as shown in the video where I create two parallel paths with the Y split assigned to an expression pedal. However, again I'm unable to separate the signals between the guitar and the synth sounds. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here either. 

Any help on routing in either/both of these cases is much appreciated. Thanks folks!!!!!

Both of my JTV-69 Variaxes are outfitted with FTP pickups. I use three or four stereo signal paths in each of my Helix patches. The last one is always for my synth inputs via USB. With the software I use (GigPerformer VST host -> Loopback -> Helix), I am able to assign my synth outputs to Helix USB inputs 3&4. So the bottom signal path on my Helix is USB input 3&4. This allows me to A) add additional processing B) assign a volume pedal C) adjust my final blend at the output block and D) use the output block to assign it to different outputs based on my needs.

I am using a MacBook Pro. You MIGHT be able to do the same if your partial software lets you assign USB outputs. Otherwise they will probably default to UBS 1&2. The Helix was designed to pass USB inputs 1&2 directly to the outputs. I believe the only change you can make to that signal is to attenuate the signal in the global settings menu. No other adjustments are possible and not snapshot or controllers can be assigned. Nice for simplicity perhaps, but very limiting. I wish Line6 allowed for all USB traffic to be assigned/controlled the same across the board.

Of course! It being the Helix, there are several. You could insert a volume block on each path. Leave the guitar path set to it's default. Then on the Synth path, edit the parameters for the volume pedal and set the minimum to 127 and the max to 0. Now when you move the pedal to toe down, you'll hear guitar, at heel down you'll hear synth and a blend of the two in between. Play with the response curve to see if you like the pedal throw better.

Similarly, you could insert a gain block on each path. Set the gain on both channels to 0. Assign both blocks to the same footswitch. Click the footswitch to make sure it is toggling both gain blocks on and off. Once that is working, just manually toggle ONE of the gain blocks to the opposite status (on or off). Now, with one gain block off and one gain block on, when you press the footswitch it will toggle between guitar and synth.

Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi FBL, 

Have you made more progress? I'm the guy that did the FTP video above and I've recently started using MG2 on iOS. I really think it offers better tracking than my FTP and no need for a pickup. With the Helix routing, it works very well. I have the MG2 input set to USB7, which is the reamp channel on Helix so it takes the raw input guitar signal and no extra path is needed. I then have a separate path for synth coming back into Helix on USB3. Its great being able to just use a USB cable and Apple CCK. If you're interested I can post a picture of the Helix path.  

4 hours ago, mlong said:

I really think it offers better tracking than my FTP

Longtime guitar synth user (purchased GR700/G707 new when it was a current product, and have owned a current guitar synth unit ever since) who is considering upgrading his Axon AX100mkII to Triple Play.  

Really interested in how you're using MidiGuitar and the kinds of things you play on it.  I'm not doubting that you find it better than TriplePlay, just trying to understand to see if that would work for me too.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 9:59 AM, mlong said:

Hi FBL, 

Have you made more progress? I'm the guy that did the FTP video above and I've recently started using MG2 on iOS. I really think it offers better tracking than my FTP and no need for a pickup. With the Helix routing, it works very well. I have the MG2 input set to USB7, which is the reamp channel on Helix so it takes the raw input guitar signal and no extra path is needed. I then have a separate path for synth coming back into Helix on USB3. Its great being able to just use a USB cable and Apple CCK. If you're interested I can post a picture of the Helix path.  

hi mlong,

I toyed around with this for a while....it does work although a bit glitchy at times...the way I have it set up is to connect the USB from the Helix into the IPAD through the camera connecter kit...then I use audiobus to route the signals from mg2 into sample tank/other synths and then back into the helix through USB...I then bring it back into the signal chain through the usb input and blend it with guitar and other effects...it does work but I'm yet to use it live as it does glitch out once in a while....would be great to take a look at your helix path...

On 8/26/2019 at 2:53 PM, arkieboy said:

Longtime guitar synth user (purchased GR700/G707 new when it was a current product, and have owned a current guitar synth unit ever since) who is considering upgrading his Axon AX100mkII to Triple Play.  

Really interested in how you're using MidiGuitar and the kinds of things you play on it.  I'm not doubting that you find it better than TriplePlay, just trying to understand to see if that would work for me too.

Steve

Triple play was good...but for live use I just find it simpler to use MG2...although I'm not entirely sure if the tracking on MG2 is as good as the triple play...the big test for me would be piano sounds...

On 8/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, mlong said:

Hi FBL, 

I would like to see a picture of you Helix path. I just started messing around with MG2 yesterday and find it intriguing. I currently have an EXH Synth9 in my setup for the occasional synth sounds (people often think we are playing to tracks when it’s actually the Synth9). It is a great sounding pedal with amazing tracking, but it is difficult to get different sounds for different songs because you have to turn knobs to get them. Not easy during a gig.  I see using MG2 as a much more flexible solution. 

On 9/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, fenderbenderlax said:

the big test for me would be piano sounds...

+infinity

I'm absolutely in no doubt that Jam Origin would be easier and cheaper.  Problem I have is I can't stop stretching the boundaries of the possible.  I've been thinking about the new wired USB version that's due out soon/already out but I've missed it (delete as appropriate).  The mod Matt Bellamy's guitar tech made with one looks sooo good!

On 9/8/2019 at 4:21 PM, arkieboy said:

+infinity

I'm absolutely in no doubt that Jam Origin would be easier and cheaper.  Problem I have is I can't stop stretching the boundaries of the possible.  I've been thinking about the new wired USB version that's due out soon/already out but I've missed it (delete as appropriate).  The mod Matt Bellamy's guitar tech made with one looks sooo good!

The FTP did track better at home for me...the difficulty live was it was kind of restrictive to the guitar that had the FTP pickup installed....since MG2 works with any guitar, it was easier...plus the cabling is a lot easier as I do not have to worry about the dongle and a usb hub to ensure both the FTP and the Helix is connected to the iPad...overall MG2 is probably not as good in terms of tracking but was practical especially since I needed it only for a few songs...