Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"-28" error?

palladinojt

Helix Rack, firmware v2.71.  Last weekend I powered it up and for the first time since I've owned it there was a small "-28" in red in the upper left corner of the screen (wish I got a picture, but didn't), and stayed locked/frozen on the boot screen.  I was at a gig at the time so my stomach dropped momentarily.  I turned it off, turned it back on again, and it started up fine with no issue.  It ended up not creating a problem, but again being the first time that ever happened it concerned me a bit.  Anyone familiar with this at all?  Anything I need to do/be aware of?  Thanks!

39 minutes ago, palladinojt said:

Helix Rack, firmware v2.71.  Last weekend I powered it up and for the first time since I've owned it there was a small "-28" in red in the upper left corner of the screen (wish I got a picture, but didn't), and stayed locked/frozen on the boot screen.  I was at a gig at the time so my stomach dropped momentarily.  I turned it off, turned it back on again, and it started up fine with no issue.  It ended up not creating a problem, but again being the first time that ever happened it concerned me a bit.  Anyone familiar with this at all?  Anything I need to do/be aware of?  Thanks!

I had it 2 times since 4 years... switch off, wait a few mins., power on and the error is gone. ;-) could be possible to do it twice

45 minutes ago, palladinojt said:

Hi palladinojt.

You are not alone - Go here and read this:

Best solution is to boot into Safe Mode and re-install the Firmware - it’s like something got screwed during the update but it is fixable.

As “crusinon2” points out - it’s a computer and computers do weird $hit.

Computers don't usually weird-out on their own. Yes, the hardware design can be a problem sometimes. Power supplies can and do fail after a while. And, they have lots of help with that from the code (software) running in them. But the computer itself is just like a car, or an engine, or even a gun for that matter, in that it will sit there on a table(or in a garage), all by itself for decades and decades without ever doing a single thing wrong, until one day when a human tries to fool with it. Maybe it is "us" that is buggy? After all, weren't we the last ones to touch it? ; )

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, spikey said:

Computers don't usually weird-out on their own. Yes, the hardware design can be a problem sometimes. Power supplies can and do fail after a while. And, they have lots of help with that from the code (software) running in them. But the computer itself is just like a car, or an engine, or even a gun for that matter, in that it will sit there on a table(or in a garage), all by itself for decades and decades without ever doing a single thing wrong, until one day when a human tries to fool with it. Maybe it is "us" that is buggy? After all, weren't we the last ones to touch it? ; )

This is right for the most part. However, the software is where the issue really lies, (unless there is some kind of hardware failure)

The hardware can have slight variables when regarding the power that is fed to it. If there is a power spike right as you go to turn on your Helix, it may be just enough to make the internal power regulators in the Helix to act wonky, needing a reboot.  Lets face it not all of us have decent power. Here in the Southern States of the US many houses have crappy wiring. 

Sometimes the BIOS in computers won't boot correctly, and need a reboot, sometimes its the OS. Drivers can become corrupt over time etc. Not doing regular maintenance on it (such as cleaning the dust out periodically) can cause hardware malfunctions. However, this does not apply as much to Helix, as it is a closed system. But you can keep the knobs, buttons, and rotaries clean. So your example of a computer sitting there for decades (untouched) and turned on has a significant chance to result in a fire from all the dust that has built up over that amount of time. lol :)

I am willing to state this is speculation, but I think that the -28 boot error will mostly fall in the categories that I have listed above. I do not think it is much about the hardware failing. I have never read someone's Helix no longer working after the -28 boot error. But I have read a few people's problems with helix hardware that had nothing to do with that boot error.

I want to say I had the -28 boot warning twice. Each time I just needed to reboot, and all was fine. I have had my Helix since Summer of 2016.