Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pedal board power supply for HX Stomp

Tarekith

I'm starting to put together a list of what I will need to build a small pedal board, and I'm getting conflicting info online and from a local guitar store about what options there are for powering the HX Stomp.  Ideally I'd like to use something like the Strymon Ojai or similar, but it looks like this is not possible without a bunch of adaptors and a way to reverse the polarity.  Is this still true, or is there something I'm missing that's changed recently?

It'll be a small board, though all the pedals are higher power draw units.  Basically the Stomp, Volante, and maybe the Timeline as well.  Ideas?

Hi,

indeed it is a real shame what Line 6 did in terms of power connectivity especially for the stomp that is made to live on a pedalboard with other pedals. Different Polarity, different connector. For what? And then in addition they managed to build the worst power adapter I‘ve ever seen.... Just buy a Truetone  1Spot CS6. It works perfectly.

Regards Marco

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mstoffel said:

Hi,

indeed it is a real shame what Line 6 did in terms of power connectivity especially for the stomp that is made to live on a pedalboard with other pedals. Different Polarity, different connector. For what? And then in addition they managed to build the worst power adapter I‘ve ever seen.... Just buy a Truetone  1Spot CS6. It works perfectly.

Regards Marco

1 hour ago, Tarekith said:

Thanks Marco.  I'll look into that one some more, but do you know if it comes with the proper cables too?  I saw it has a polarity reverse, but I didn't notice the HX used a different connector too.

Next research project, low profile right angle midi connectors :)

The Stomp is center negative, just like the vast majority of pedals out there. The reason so many solutions require a polarity swap is because the 3rd party L6 cable adaptors (to bring the size down to standard) were designed for older L6 tech that was center positive and also reversed polarity. So if you're using the L6 adaptor you have to use a polarity reverse cable to bring it BACK to center negative.

With that said the Truetones are great. I own the 12. Both the 6 and the 12 come with all the cables.

• 2 months later...

Does the truespot supply sufficient amperage? The back of the hx stomp calls for 3a (3000ma) but the truespot cs6 specs top out at 1600ma.

I have the 1spot daisy chain 9v supply I use today for a DI and a wireless receiver, but I just picked up an stomp to add to my portable rig. I don't know if I even have the converter plugs any more so I will probably have to order something new regardless, but my portable case only has so much space... Part of why I decided to go the stomp rout was space consolidation. 

6 minutes ago, buji said:

Does the truespot supply sufficient amperage? The back of the hx stomp calls for 3a (3000ma) but the truespot cs6 specs top out at 1600ma.

I have the 1spot daisy chain 9v supply I use today for a DI and a wireless receiver, but I just picked up an stomp to add to my portable rig. I don't know if I even have the converter plugs any more so I will probably have to order something new regardless, but my portable case only has so much space... Part of why I decided to go the stomp rout was space consolidation. 

The Stomp draws around 1.0mA +/-. The DC-3g power adapter that comes with the Stomp is rated at 3A, but that's just its capacity. So the CS6 will power the Stomp, but it depends on what else you have connected to it.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The Stomp draws around 1.0mA +/-. The DC-3g power adapter that comes with the Stomp is rated at 3A, but that's just its capacity. So the CS6 will power the Stomp, but it depends on what else you have connected to it.

Thanks. Yeah I figured it would be similar to other multi-pedal setups, as long as the total output is +20% above combined consumption levels, I should be fine. The 3A on the back of the stomp got me concerned tho. My relay g70 wireless receiver draws 500ma, so I'm guessing technically I will be ok with the 1spot 9v, but I'm approaching max capacity. 

Should I be concerned at all from a warranty / performance perspective running the stomp on a shared power config like that? (assuming I can find the plug converters that came with my 1spot or get another). I too, hate the included power supply.  What was the thought on that configuration?

16 minutes ago, buji said:

Should I be concerned at all from a warranty / performance perspective running the stomp on a shared power config like that? (assuming I can find the plug converters that came with my 1spot or get another). I too, hate the included power supply.  What was the thought on that configuration?

If a problem resulted in the Stomp that was a direct result of the power supply, then yes, it could void the warranty. 

Now, to be clear, I use the Truetone CS12, so I've decided to take the risk and I'm glad I did so far, but yes, it is still something to think about. 

I use the TrueTone CS6 to power my HX FX and 3 other pedals and it works great without any current doubling, etc. As others have said, you just need to use the included L6 converter and the polarity converter to switch it back. A little bit of a hassle, but my board is neat and tidy now. On a Pedaltrain Metro 20 I have a TC Polytune, VFE Standout, EHX Soul Food, and the HX FX. Loving the portability.

To the best of my knowledge, because of the scribble strips and additional LEDs, the FX actually draws more current than the Stomp. But yeah, the L6 adapter reverses polarity for old L6 devices, so the polarity plug reverses it back to 'normal'. That's the only "downside." You may be able to find a third party plug, but the Truetone comes with everything in the box. I reduced the size of my board from a PT-1 to the Metro and got rid of a bunch of short extension cords and power strips that I needed to deal with multiple wallwarts/PSUs. New rig is clean.

yeah, I remember unpacking my 1spot and because I didn't need them at the time the rando adapters got thrown in one of my 'cable hell' crates. My penalty for not being psychic and or having a better filing system :D I'm positive I will find them the day after I receive the replacements I'm ordering. At least they aren't terribly expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, at some point I got my truespot model #s mixed up. I was talking about running the HX stomp off of the just regular truetone 9v, (not the CS6). With the adapters, it is able to run the stomp and the G70 relay, but there is some light grounding hum (90hz-230hz). Enough that it registers intermittently on the stomp's tuner. It's pretty low volume and probably won't be noticed in a show because I can gain up the input signal and I set the input to line instead of inst (does that reduce dynamic range?) but it's a no go for recording so I guess i'm going to have to scale up from a daisy chain power supply, unless anyone else here has any ideas. :-/

• 4 weeks later...

I purchased a Truetone 12 to power the Stomp as well as the G10 relay (modified) and two other pedals.   For those who use this set up, I wanted to clarify the power out put.  I have read that the Truetone's will put out more mA than the output that is labeled on the output plug, as long as you don't come close to total max rating of the power supply.  The Stomp is essentially right at 850/875 mA.  Did you use a current doubling or current splitting cable (that doesn't come with the package) or did you just use the Line 6 adapter into the polarity reversal and into the 800mA output.  

Also, would you recommend a current splitter adapter for a 350mA pedal or just plug it straight into the 300 mA outpu?

The TrueTones have the big advantage of being as switching power supply, meaning there are no fixed transformers for an output but electronics that supply what is actually needed.

Its  capable of releasing all the current to one port, hence ther is no need for any doubling y-cabeling whatsoever.

Thats how ist should be...

stupid Line6 polarity must be dealt with the supplied adapter, though 

23 hours ago, Servo said:

I purchased a Truetone 12 to power the Stomp as well as the G10 relay (modified) and two other pedals.   For those who use this set up, I wanted to clarify the power out put.  I have read that the Truetone's will put out more mA than the output that is labeled on the output plug, as long as you don't come close to total max rating of the power supply.  The Stomp is essentially right at 850/875 mA.  Did you use a current doubling or current splitting cable (that doesn't come with the package) or did you just use the Line 6 adapter into the polarity reversal and into the 800mA output.  

Also, would you recommend a current splitter adapter for a 350mA pedal or just plug it straight into the 300 mA outpu?

.  imageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3d79318bd3844dimageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3d79318bd3844dimageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3d79318bd3844dimageproxy.php?img=&key=4f3d79318bd3844d

Do NOT use the 800mA port. That is for AC power and you risk frying your Stomp, or at least giving it some nasty hiccups.

All you need is one port (the 500), the L6 adaptor, and the polarity reversal cable, and you're set. Works great.

(Also, yes, it can output much more than the port states, so 300 works fine for 350 - as long as your total pedals don't go over the grand total possible).

I'm using the Cioks DC7.  They recommend two adapter cables (that aren't expensive) to combine two outputs and then convert to the right size plug. It works great and is very quiet.  I power my G10S, tuner, Drop, wah, 18v flanger and phaser.  The DC7 comes with plenty of cable and they have a chart to help find if you need specific adapters.

I ended up getting a custom power supply for my mini-board, with a dedicated 1.5a output for the stomp, and two other .5a outputs, all isolated, and in a custom compact case 2x4x1" from sweetfootpedals dot com via reverb.The guy there totally gets it, and has a bunch of line6 PS stuff, including a PS with external stomp switches built in!

I went with the Cioks DC-7 which has 7 outputs each capable of 0.66 mA at 9V.  I combined two outputs for an HX Stomp, two outputs for an HX Effects, one output for G50 wireless, one output for a Zoom MS-60B in an effect loop off the HX effects, and one output for a Boss TU-3 tuner.  Could certainly daisy chain more off the tuner to add anything else.  Sweetwater had the cables to combine the two outputs to double the current, and the larger "yellow end" cables to get to the 2.5mm pin on both the Stomp and Effects without having to do anything about polarity changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I can confirm that the palmer PWT 12 MK2 works with the HX stomp

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/power-supplies-chargers/18553/pwt-12-mk-2

This psu is quite small and relatively cheap (And is dead silent! good job palmer!).

The only issue is that is a bit tricky to set the right output voltage with the small pot, so you have two options:

1. with a multimeter carefully set the same voltage (I put it at 9.4V) on two of the 500ma outputs) and then connect the hx stomp to two of the 500ma outputs
  2. or use a 5 pedal chain (like this) and connect 4 of the 9V 300ma output to get 1200mA (yes they are well isolated) (and you still have the 4 500ma variable output for something else)

Just remember that this psu can source maximum 2000ma in total so the hx stomp is ~1000mA -> another 1000mA of pedals

Of course neither me not line6 is supporting officially all of this so... use at your risk

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, buji said:

Well, at some point I got my truespot model #s mixed up. I was talking about running the HX stomp off of the just regular truetone 9v, (not the CS6). With the adapters, it is able to run the stomp and the G70 relay, but there is some light grounding hum (90hz-230hz). Enough that it registers intermittently on the stomp's tuner. It's pretty low volume and probably won't be noticed in a show because I can gain up the input signal and I set the input to line instead of inst (does that reduce dynamic range?) but it's a no go for recording so I guess i'm going to have to scale up from a daisy chain power supply, unless anyone else here has any ideas. :-/

I have had that issue with those inexpensive Truetone power supplies before myself. Strangely enough was also when using a wireless unit with it although not a G70. Eventually just opted for another inexpensive Ibanez power supply I had laying around which didn't cause an issue. Those Truetone ISpots are not isolated power obviously when daisy-chained and even when used with only one device can be quite noisy with certain pedals or wireless units. Other times they play nice with everything and are a good inexpensive solution. Luck of the draw.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I've just put together a neat little fly-rig using the HX Stomp, a Strymon Sunset, an EP Booster and a Boss expression pedal, all on a Pedaltrain Metro 20. It's all powered by a Truetone 1 Spot Pro CS6 and works a treat! Make sure you attach the CS6 with the supplied screws as Velcro is too deep. It's millimetre perfect. And use the correct adapter cables, all supplied in the 1 Spot box...

0D435C6C-99FA-496C-BA6C-B4B4AB6F63FA.JPG

D68340CC-74A8-452C-AC96-3DB08DF6DC0F.JPG

• 8 months later...

Does Anyone know if using the 18 volt slot on a pedal power supply will damage the stomp? I know that people use a voltage adapter to link two 9 volt slots to convert to 18 and 3A, I ask because I don't see anyone doing that online. 

Generally I intend to use the Stomp alone, just with an old passive footswitch and an old Roland EV-5 expression pedal.

But out of curiosity I pulled out a cheap small 9V 1.7A power supply that I bought a couple of years ago. (I don't remember the brand right now, it's in my studio.) Because as I've seen in a BoohTube video recently, someone did measure the amperage actually drawn by the Stomp, and it's constantly somewhere under 1.3A, no matter what you do with it. So there was even some headroom to plug in a few of my beaten Boss pedals from the 1980s as well. It worked.

On the other hand, the original Stomp power supply actually provides a whopping 3A. So all you need is a power distribution cable and two connector adapters to convert 1) from the Stomp power supply cable, and 2) from the distribution cable to the Stomp device, and you're all set.

It works. I've tested it with attaching a Tech 21 DI box plus all of my old pedals I could find in my archives… :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 4:53 PM, nick83ola said:

Hi all

I can confirm that the palmer PWT 12 MK2 works with the HX stomp

https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/products/power-supplies-chargers/18553/pwt-12-mk-2

This psu is quite small and relatively cheap (And is dead silent! good job palmer!).

The only issue is that is a bit tricky to set the right output voltage with the small pot, so you have two options:

1. with a multimeter carefully set the same voltage (I put it at 9.4V) on two of the 500ma outputs) and then connect the hx stomp to two of the 500ma outputs
  2. or use a 5 pedal chain (like this) and connect 4 of the 9V 300ma output to get 1200mA (yes they are well isolated) (and you still have the 4 500ma variable output for something else)

Just remember that this psu can source maximum 2000ma in total so the hx stomp is ~1000mA -> another 1000mA of pedals

Of course neither me not line6 is supporting officially all of this so... use at your risk

Cheers

Nick

I like this hack very much! 1200 mA shoul be enough for thirsty stomp! How did you connect the pedal chain to the HX? Did you make the adapter by yourself or find it in some shop?

On 8/12/2020 at 7:06 PM, Nylander88 said:

Does Anyone know if using the 18 volt slot on a pedal power supply will damage the stomp? I know that people use a voltage adapter to link two 9 volt slots to convert to 18 and 3A, I ask because I don't see anyone doing that online. 

Hope you haven't fried your Stomp yet! There's a reason no one is doing it online - It will kill your Stomp. The Stomp wants 9V, people are using CURRENT doublers, not VOLTAGE doublers. They are still feeding the Stomp 9V, but using the combined CURRENT of the two outputs.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Higgie said:

Hope you haven't fried your Stomp yet! There's a reason no one is doing it online - It will kill your Stomp. The Stomp wants 9V, people are using CURRENT doublers, not VOLTAGE doublers. They are still feeding the Stomp 9V, but using the combined CURRENT of the two outputs.

I see, so I'm gonna have to use 2 outputs.

No, I haven't fried my stomp.... yet. I do my research so I don't blow things up, I've waited quite a while for someone to answer that question!

• 2 weeks later...

FWI- I compared the HX stomp stomp with the Pod Go power supply and it looks like they both have the same rating. The Pod Go power supply is much more compact so that's the one that will go in my pedal board. I wish the HX Stomp came with a more compact power supply. :-) 

On 9/8/2020 at 2:22 PM, geps said:

I like this hack very much! 1200 mA shoul be enough for thirsty stomp! How did you connect the pedal chain to the HX? Did you make the adapter by yourself or find it in some shop?

Well I bought a Palmer PWT MKII as suggested by nick83ola: and I must say it works very well. You can see here my pedalboard finally completed: every pedal is powered by the Palmer; for the HX Stomp I used four 9V/300mA out.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

On 9/24/2020 at 7:49 AM, geps said:

Well I bought a Palmer PWT MKII as suggested by nick83ola: and I must say it works very well. You can see here my pedalboard finally completed: every pedal is powered by the Palmer; for the HX Stomp I used four 9V/300mA out.

Sorry I just read this!! I'm happy that it works for you!!!!

for other user I simply got

https://www.thomann.de/ie/palmer_pwt_12_mk_2.htm

https://www.thomann.de/ie/rockboard_power_ace_conl6.htm

https://www.thomann.de/ie/rockboard_flat_daisy_cable_angled_4.htm

And I put the variable power supply output with a multimeter to exactly the same output (9V)

and used the daisy chain to connect 3 output with the line6 hx stomp

work like a charm from almost 1 year, and also the palmer is amazing is powering all my pedalboard and is svery small/light

Cheers

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 2:45 AM, nick83ola said:

Hi,

Sorry I just read this!! I'm happy that it works for you!!!!

for other user I simply got

https://www.thomann.de/ie/palmer_pwt_12_mk_2.htm

https://www.thomann.de/ie/rockboard_power_ace_conl6.htm

https://www.thomann.de/ie/rockboard_flat_daisy_cable_angled_4.htm

And I put the variable power supply output with a multimeter to exactly the same output (9V)

and used the daisy chain to connect 3 output with the line6 hx stomp

work like a charm from almost 1 year, and also the palmer is amazing is powering all my pedalboard and is svery small/light

Cheers

Nick

Hello guys,

I've been reading this post, but I think I still don't understand how to power my HX Stomp. I currently use a Palmer PWT 8 and I planned to use both 9V 500ma to power the stomp. With these:

Voodoo Labs Current Doubler

Truetone CS6 L6.

The problem is that I'm not sure if the Truetone changes polarity to center positive. I'm a little bit lost with all these things.

23 hours ago, javierdp92 said:

Hello guys,

I've been reading this post, but I think I still don't understand how to power my HX Stomp. I currently use a Palmer PWT 8 and I planned to use both 9V 500ma to power the stomp. With these:

Voodoo Labs Current Doubler

Truetone CS6 L6.

The problem is that I'm not sure if the Truetone changes polarity to center positive. I'm a little bit lost with all these things.

The polarity should be indicated on every DC input. If you need to change polarity you have to buy cheap adapters you can easily find on Amazon or other store. Maybe only two 500mA could be insufficient, I preferred use the 1.2V trick with the PWT 12.

• 1 month later...