Tarekith

Pedal board power supply for HX Stomp

I'm starting to put together a list of what I will need to build a small pedal board, and I'm getting conflicting info online and from a local guitar store about what options there are for powering the HX Stomp.  Ideally I'd like to use something like the Strymon Ojai or similar, but it looks like this is not possible without a bunch of adaptors and a way to reverse the polarity.  Is this still true, or is there something I'm missing that's changed recently?

It'll be a small board, though all the pedals are higher power draw units.  Basically the Stomp, Volante, and maybe the Timeline as well.  Ideas?

Hi,

indeed it is a real shame what Line 6 did in terms of power connectivity especially for the stomp that is made to live on a pedalboard with other pedals. Different Polarity, different connector. For what? And then in addition they managed to build the worst power adapter I‘ve ever seen.... Just buy a Truetone  1Spot CS6. It works perfectly.

Regards Marco

Thanks Marco.  I'll look into that one some more.

Next research project, low profile right angle midi connectors :)

8 hours ago, mstoffel said:

Hi,

indeed it is a real shame what Line 6 did in terms of power connectivity especially for the stomp that is made to live on a pedalboard with other pedals. Different Polarity, different connector. For what? And then in addition they managed to build the worst power adapter I‘ve ever seen.... Just buy a Truetone  1Spot CS6. It works perfectly.

Regards Marco

1 hour ago, Tarekith said:

Thanks Marco.  I'll look into that one some more, but do you know if it comes with the proper cables too?  I saw it has a polarity reverse, but I didn't notice the HX used a different connector too.

Next research project, low profile right angle midi connectors :)

The Stomp is center negative, just like the vast majority of pedals out there. The reason so many solutions require a polarity swap is because the 3rd party L6 cable adaptors (to bring the size down to standard) were designed for older L6 tech that was center positive and also reversed polarity. So if you're using the L6 adaptor you have to use a polarity reverse cable to bring it BACK to center negative.

With that said the Truetones are great. I own the 12. Both the 6 and the 12 come with all the cables.

Does the truespot supply sufficient amperage? The back of the hx stomp calls for 3a (3000ma) but the truespot cs6 specs top out at 1600ma.

I have the 1spot daisy chain 9v supply I use today for a DI and a wireless receiver, but I just picked up an stomp to add to my portable rig. I don't know if I even have the converter plugs any more so I will probably have to order something new regardless, but my portable case only has so much space... Part of why I decided to go the stomp rout was space consolidation. 

6 minutes ago, buji said:

Does the truespot supply sufficient amperage? The back of the hx stomp calls for 3a (3000ma) but the truespot cs6 specs top out at 1600ma.

I have the 1spot daisy chain 9v supply I use today for a DI and a wireless receiver, but I just picked up an stomp to add to my portable rig. I don't know if I even have the converter plugs any more so I will probably have to order something new regardless, but my portable case only has so much space... Part of why I decided to go the stomp rout was space consolidation. 

The Stomp draws around 1.0mA +/-. The DC-3g power adapter that comes with the Stomp is rated at 3A, but that's just its capacity. So the CS6 will power the Stomp, but it depends on what else you have connected to it.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The Stomp draws around 1.0mA +/-. The DC-3g power adapter that comes with the Stomp is rated at 3A, but that's just its capacity. So the CS6 will power the Stomp, but it depends on what else you have connected to it.

Thanks. Yeah I figured it would be similar to other multi-pedal setups, as long as the total output is +20% above combined consumption levels, I should be fine. The 3A on the back of the stomp got me concerned tho. My relay g70 wireless receiver draws 500ma, so I'm guessing technically I will be ok with the 1spot 9v, but I'm approaching max capacity. 

Should I be concerned at all from a warranty / performance perspective running the stomp on a shared power config like that? (assuming I can find the plug converters that came with my 1spot or get another). I too, hate the included power supply.  What was the thought on that configuration?

16 minutes ago, buji said:

Should I be concerned at all from a warranty / performance perspective running the stomp on a shared power config like that? (assuming I can find the plug converters that came with my 1spot or get another). I too, hate the included power supply.  What was the thought on that configuration?

If a problem resulted in the Stomp that was a direct result of the power supply, then yes, it could void the warranty. 

Now, to be clear, I use the Truetone CS12, so I've decided to take the risk and I'm glad I did so far, but yes, it is still something to think about. 

Am I going to need to daisy chain the CYR AND the CL6 adapters together off of the truetone?

I use the TrueTone CS6 to power my HX FX and 3 other pedals and it works great without any current doubling, etc. As others have said, you just need to use the included L6 converter and the polarity converter to switch it back. A little bit of a hassle, but my board is neat and tidy now. On a Pedaltrain Metro 20 I have a TC Polytune, VFE Standout, EHX Soul Food, and the HX FX. Loving the portability.

To the best of my knowledge, because of the scribble strips and additional LEDs, the FX actually draws more current than the Stomp. But yeah, the L6 adapter reverses polarity for old L6 devices, so the polarity plug reverses it back to 'normal'. That's the only "downside." You may be able to find a third party plug, but the Truetone comes with everything in the box. I reduced the size of my board from a PT-1 to the Metro and got rid of a bunch of short extension cords and power strips that I needed to deal with multiple wallwarts/PSUs. New rig is clean.

yeah, I remember unpacking my 1spot and because I didn't need them at the time the rando adapters got thrown in one of my 'cable hell' crates. My penalty for not being psychic and or having a better filing system :D I'm positive I will find them the day after I receive the replacements I'm ordering. At least they aren't terribly expensive. 

Well, at some point I got my truespot model #s mixed up. I was talking about running the HX stomp off of the just regular truetone 9v, (not the CS6). With the adapters, it is able to run the stomp and the G70 relay, but there is some light grounding hum (90hz-230hz). Enough that it registers intermittently on the stomp's tuner. It's pretty low volume and probably won't be noticed in a show because I can gain up the input signal and I set the input to line instead of inst (does that reduce dynamic range?) but it's a no go for recording so I guess i'm going to have to scale up from a daisy chain power supply, unless anyone else here has any ideas. :-/