Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Back it UP NOW- boys and girls!

spikey

Go into the Helix editor, click on file- "create backup".

Do it now so when the 2.8 patch hits today or tomorrow you won't have to remember this important step!

I have a feeling it will drop on "Tuesday" which happens to be the busiest day of the month for me-  (pure speculation on when 2.8 drops). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After the Nth time of tweaking various things, then neglecting to save before turning everything off, now I automatically save whatever patch I was using and create a backup before powering down. Saves me from pulling the last 3 hairs out of my head.

Besides, I'll be doing the same thing I've done with every other firmware release... letting the early adopters be the canary in the coal mine. I always wait to see how much and what variety of "this sucks" chatter there is in the immediate aftermath of the release...then I'll decide whether or not the inevitable "oops we didn't notice that" bug is annoying enough to justify sticking with the status quo for a while.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, silverhead said:

... or, you could update and then roll back if you don't like it.

I could, yes...but the less I manipulate the device, the fewer chances there are for something to go wrong. It'll get updated eventually, I'm just not in any particular hurry. To each their own...

1 minute ago, cruisinon2 said:

I could, yes...but the less I manipulate the device, the fewer chances there are for something to go wrong. It'll get updated eventually, I'm just not in any particular hurry. To each their own...

I think sometimes people don't take into account that many of our Helix units are "operational" systems.  We actually depend on it every week in the same way as an order taking system of an internet retailer.  You don't approach it casually and it's not something you do without a lot of thought and planning.  Because I really can't afford to be thrown into a 3 or 4 day skirmish with unexpected problems that I MUST get resolved before I'm scheduled to play again.  The implications of that are far greater than needing any of the features of 2.8 immediately.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, silverhead said:

... or, you could update and then roll back if you don't like it.

One thing regarding rolling back with the 2.8 update. Any presets or backups created with the 2.8 firmware will be incompatible with earlier firmware versions, so it really is important to remember to create a backup prior to installing the 2.8 update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, spikey said:

I have a feeling it will drop on "Tuesday" which happens to be the busiest day of the month for me-  (pure speculation on when 2.8 drops). 

Tomorrow would be the least convenient possible day for me as well. So it's looking like it's pretty much guaranteed to drop tomorrow. 

• Haha 2

Looks like my OCD is helpful in this case.  I backup at the beginning and end of rehearsals and again before the show.  Then I back up after the show while everyone else is sipping a brew. Considering this includes the two path direct tor PA and the large venue 4CM to mic'd amp / XLR mono to PA events I should be OK.  "No you won't!!! …" says the loud OCD voice in my head.  You had me at Backup, Spikey