Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Multiple IRs in Presets?

tsname

Hi all, been having fun with my Helix LT and enjoy using the toneblend presets to mix together multiple amps/cabs in my presets. I came across a bevvy of IRs (thanks to all those in the forum who have posted those locations), but the problem I have is that I cannot have more than one IR in a preset at a time. If I have two IRs on, the Helix mutes, but if I turn one off, I get tone. What am I doing wrong?

You may need to provide more info, or a screenshot of your signal path to get a good answer. I have a couple guesses:

1. The default level for an IR block is -18db. If you have both IR blocks in serial the second one may be attenuating the overall volume below the volume you can hear it. I've enver had this happen to me, but try increasing the levels on one or both IRs. If you reach 0db on both and still don't hear anything, then this definitely isn't it. 

2. Does it un-mute when either of the IR blocks are the one that is on? Maybe one of the IRs is bad or was intended for something other than a cab, like a reverb.

3. I assume it isn't a DSP limit, because you wouldn't be able to load the second IR if that were the case. But maybe I'm missing something. Have you tried using the 1024 IR block (instead of the 2048, I think), which uses fewer DSP resources.

I'm not sure number 2 is possible, and I'm pretty sure number 3 isn't possible, so my best guess would be it's number 1. But try posting more details if you can.

Generally speaking, with a fairly normal setup on a single signal path, you can only get two IRs if you're using the 1024 version.  I'm not sure why that is, but apparently that's part of the implications when Line 6 states that the stock cabs are more efficient than IRs.  Personally I can't really tell the difference sonically between a 1024 and a 2048, but then I also only rarely find a reason to have more than one IR.  I can certainly get more tonal flexibility using a single IR that has different mic mixes and placements than I could with two different IRs, and those mic mixes and placements can all be contained in a single IR, so I just don't see the need for more than one IR.  The only exception is when I'm using two different amps such as a clean and overdriven in which case I'll have the amps and their IRs on separate paths using  separate DSP chips.

I suppose if you just can't live without mixing IRs, you can use a DAW or various utilities to mix separate IRs into a single IR.

I've only recently started messing with the IR-s in Helix and I came up with two advantages:
1) Convenience - having separate IR-s allows to combine them in different ways, not having to mix them in a DAW.

2) Stereo - can pan the IR-s hard L/R, that gives a bit of width depending on the combination, sometimes that is needed.

That said, using the mixed IR-s doesn't stop from using 2 IR-s for even more combinations. That can get overwhelming though.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone; rzumwalt, it looks like the levels were just too low, even though the IRs were put in parallel. I boosted the output and then changed the mix to 50% for each, so now I get good tone. The reason why I reduced the mix for each IR to 50% is because I get a slight amount of latency if they are at 100%.

DunedinDragon -- I just found out how to do the dual cab setup, so I might mess with that some more.