Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Moving from a HD500x to a HX Stomp

skipta

Hi everyone,

Just wanting some input in regards to the HX Stomp. I have a HD500X and looking to buy a HX Stomp. Question for anyone that  went from a HD500X to a Helix device, is it a noticeable upgrade in modelling/effects quality? I would like to use it for recording and live situations as an amp modeler with some effects. Just wondering if it is one of those situation where it will blow my socks off or is it s subtle upgrade to the model/effects? I would love to try it however I live a rural area which makes it difficult to get my hands on one to test. Just looking for any user experiences. I love my HD500X and looking for something current gen to upgrade to.

Thanks.

I loved my HD 500x. In my case, I went from the 500x to the Firehawk 1500 (simpler modeler but far easier to setup and to me, a sound advantage) to the HX Stomp.

In my opinion the sound difference is . . . it's there but it's not THE reason I'd argue it's worth it. Both units can create great sound. HX Stomp is CLOSER to the units modeled, but if you were never a tone snob you might not care about that at all. I always liken the difference between the two to 1080p vs. 4k. It's there - how much you adore it will vary from person to person. 

However, where the HX line just blew my socks off was the routing possibilities. The 500x first introduced me to what you can do with that, and the HX takes it to the next quantum leap. Snapshots, multiple controls by one footswitch, the dual routing . . . it gets very nice.  

One caveat though, and this is something to think about coming off the 500x. The full Helix easily blows away the 500x on routing, BUT the Stomp is questionable since it currently maxes out at 6 blocks. That's fewer than what the 500x was capable of. For me, I knew this going into it. I had existing regular pedals I loved that I was all too happy to integrate to give me more DSP in the Stomp, and I also was keeping the 1500 which also had modelling if the Stomp came up short. 

Going from a straight 500x to an HX Stomp and nothing else might make you feel a bit more limited in ways that you don't want. Factor in the foot switch numbers difference and the built in wah/volume pedal and again which the 500x has the advantage of, and not necessarily easy trades. 

PS: Just to be clear though, the Stomp is the coolest piece of gear I've ever bought. It works perfectly for my needs. 

13 hours ago, skipta said:

I love my HD500X and looking for something current gen to upgrade to.

IMO.... get the Stomp, but keep the HD500x. Best of both worlds. You can utilize the HD500 for effects, I/O and as a midi controller while integrating the amp modelling and additional effects from the Stomp. If you go strictly to the stomp you may find yourself needing to add a footswitch or two and an expression pedal but the HD500 (and a little midi setup) will take care of all that. It would be a very powerful combination.

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:48 AM, codamedia said:

IMO.... get the Stomp, but keep the HD500x. Best of both worlds. You can utilize the HD500 for effects, I/O and as a midi controller while integrating the amp modelling and additional effects from the Stomp. If you go strictly to the stomp you may find yourself needing to add a footswitch or two and an expression pedal but the HD500 (and a little midi setup) will take care of all that. It would be a very powerful combination.

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried using the HX STOMP with the HD500X?    And if so, was it easy enough to set up?  Were the results good?   Any problems or gotchas that we need to be aware of?     Thanks in advance.

I went from HD500 to HX Stomp. I haven't used the HD500 for a long time because I'm now using an amp. I got the HX Stomp for my pedalboard in front of the amp and to have the option of direct amp modeling when I needed it without having to change pedalboards. I don't think the difference will blow your socks off but I have not tried the new amp modeling. I am 100% happy with the HX  Stomp. The effects are great and the routing possibilities are fantastic as someone else said. It fits right on my pedalboard. It is somewhat limited compared to the full Helix so be sure that's not what you are looking for. The HX Stomp, as advertised, is downsized. But if the configuration suits your needs you will not be disappointed. But I would say if you are happy with the HD500x and are just looking for a cheaper way to upgrade Helix then you may be frustrated with the limitations of the Stomp.

Thanks for the reply bluebirdrad.

I am thinking of using the HX stomp connected to my HD500X. That way I keep the Variax functionality of the HD500X which I need, also get to keep the expression pedal,  plus have a mic input, and have more foot switch options plus have access to the all the HX level amps, cabs and effects.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried this and if so was it easy to set up, were the end results worth the effort, and are there any gotchas to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for replies.

On 2/26/2020 at 4:15 AM, edstar1960 said:

Just wondering if anyone has actually tried using the HX STOMP with the HD500X?    And if so, was it easy enough to set up?  Were the results good?   Any problems or gotchas that we need to be aware of?     Thanks in advance.

Sort of... not quite. When I first dove into the Helix world I ran an HX Effects with my HD500. My reason was similar to yours.... I still needed Variax support, and didn't want to give up the expression pedal. 

It worked without any problems. There are many ways to set it up...

• In a serial line. Either HD500 > Stomp, or Stomp > HD 500
  • Or you can run the Stomp in the HD500 loop (that's where I would put it)
  • Or you can run the HD500 in the Stomp loop
  • One midi cable from the HD500 (midi out) to the Stomp (midi in) and the HD500 can still carry the majority of the footswitching for both units.The HD is a very flexible midi controller... it would pair well with the Stomp.

Of course, this is all assuming you understand a little about midi, and don't confuse easily with signal routing :) 

If you want to keep it simple, find a way to spend a little extra for the HELIX LT or FLOOR model, then you get to keep it all on one unit. FWIW, I eventually upgraded my HX Effects to the LT and never regretted it one bit. @foxmeister makes a great point above. You can always add mic support to an LT with a simple MIC pre (ART Tube Pre or Similar) into one of the returns on the LT.

Thanks for the advice codamedia and foxmeister.

I am leaning towards getting a Helix LT as Helix Floor provides way more functionality then I will ever need, so although it would be great to have, I can't justify the extra expense. Even a used Helix Floor costs more than a new Helix LT over here.   :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edstar1960 said:

I am leaning towards getting a Helix LT

Earlier you mention having a Variax, but didn't say which generation. If it's an older Generation (500, 300, 600, 700) you need to know that the LT will not act as an interface for Workbench with those models. 

Also - although it generally will work fine, there are some "quirks" between the older generation and the Helix you need to be aware of. BUT - that's a different topic altogether :) 

13 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Earlier you mention having a Variax, but didn't say which generation. If it's an older Generation (500, 300, 600, 700) you need to know that the LT will not act as an interface for Workbench with those models. 

Also - although it generally will work fine, there are some "quirks" between the older generation and the Helix you need to be aware of. BUT - that's a different topic altogether :) 

I have an original Variax 700 but I also have a JTV59 and a JTV69 which are my main workhorse guitars.

Thanks for highlighting this issue though, as I wasn’t aware there were issues with Helix and older Variax models.

31 minutes ago, chasingMango said:

At this point in time, wouldn't it be better to wait for the Pod Go?  Seems like a far better solution if being used as more of an all-in-one solution, and cheaper than the Stomp, too.

That is certainly an option for some people, as long as you don't require any of the features the POD Go is missing. EG: Variax support, midi support, mic input, etc...

• 5 months later...

I am pulling the trigger on a stomp and have a 500x. The midi control is key plus being able to offload time based effects to the 500x would mean never running out of blocks on the stomp. Anyone do this yet? My only real concern would be routing the stomp through the pod might significantly degrade the tone quality, although maybe that’s not a real problem. Probably go out of the stomp into the pod then out, vs using the loop on the stomp, heck in that case I can even take advantage of the xlr out on the pod since it doesn’t exist on the stomp. Hopefully by this weekend I’ll be up and running experimenting.

I did it in various configurations with the HX Effects before I bought my Helix Floor.   It depends on what you want to do with it of course.

Stomp going into pod would allow you to have all the nice dirt boxes in front of the amp and then just use the HD500 for volume pedal, delays and reverbs etc.   You should be able to send midi from the HD500 to control the stomp and use the tap temp of the HD500 to set timing.

• 1 year later...

This is now late 2021 talking back to a 2019 forum. But I’ve been struggling with getting any HX or helix product for one reason. I have 2 line 6 DT 50s one head and one 212 that I’ll probably never get rid of. I’ve had every line 6 pod since the first several line 6 solid state amps along with my collection of fender PeaVey ampeg amps and a few others. The first time I plugged my Variax standard straight into my first DT 50 head I was hooked. All the sounds were way more than I expected, sweet clean tones and sweet distorted tones. I was going to have to have stereo so I got the 212. Currently I have the HD500x I also purchased the helix native last weekend. The HD500x doesn’t have a seperate dry guitar tone like the hd prox does. I worked on using the 500x as a audio interface. It works fine for using the hd500 sounds but adding the native as a plug-in, well I haven’t been able to figure out how to do that live yet. 

I have read everywhere that line 6 stupidly I think first had no L6 link in the helix then when they added it via firmware I heard it no way comes close to controlling the DT amps in fact I love how the 500 x controls my Variax standard can split up the modeled and the magnetic pups and can route them left and right to two different rigs, there’s no pre amp control from the helix to the dts , the only answer I thought of today was to buy a HX stomp one or the other or an HX effects and just use the 500 amps. The 500 is soo limited on amps compared to the helix but here’s the real spoiler the line 6 X3 pro I still have has more amps than the 500, so if there’s a way to use a new preset with No amps, no fx just use it as a midi controller as a controller for my Variax and the DT amps and the midi with in each preset can also control the stomp functions. Yes I’m disappointed in the HX stomp ins/outs . There’s no VDI input , if\d want to still plug my Variax guitars into the HD500x then the options are midi control , 7 cable method for stereo ? Boy maybe I can figure it out in a year I’d rather pay someone to build some HD500x presets with midi control built in for the HX stomp. Right now my hook ups are the Variax into the VDI , I purchased 2 digital CLR specifically for the L6 link so besides a couple speaker cables I have 3 cables for my whole rig I wonder adding the HX stomp what kind of spider web I’ll have to deal with. Any thoughts will be worshipped! 

No offense line 6 but you have a reputation of getting the hot product out there after the sales are milked dry you sell off al your inventory like to that anderson’s music in the us for Pennie’s. Ok that’s your choice although I still think your DT project with Bonner was one of your best , but then the next pod or helix that comes out you forget about all your faithful DT purchasers. Just because the helix comes out doesn’t mean I want to dump my dts. I wish you had some support of replacing your helix into your dream rig some of us believed you 

One comment on Variax. I have 2 700 basses and a 705. Still great hybrid basses. I’ve owned several of every Variax made except the heavy metal version. I think the line 6 marriage to Yamaha was brilliant. Because your early Variax guitars had nice electronics but the guitars were under built . My favorite of all 4 electrics was the 600 mainly because of the neck. The JT variances sounds were awesome but I hated the necks, the headstocks were like boats paddles  and the only body I liked was the Les Paul style. Then the standard came out and I bought a black one and fell in love, the pickups wernt the 450 dollar sets like Fralin etc but they were as good as any stock fender pickups. I’ve changed out the pickups on my black one. The first one I bought but I’m not going to change out the pups on my white standard. Both necks are as good as any 90s or 2000 fender American necks . Matter of fact a little better I think. I’ve been a luthier for years made my own necks and purchased a few too, Warmoth necks are my favorite after market. Their premium standard neck profile is what I started calling the D or school bus shape. You know how the roof of a school bus starts to come in right away like the famous C for crap shape but then there’s a very soft almost flat on top. Your Variax standard is very much like that. I like the headstocks. I can always add my own locking tuners on but a couple of things that make their guitars so fabulous besides the tops and the perfect detailing is the setup those guitars better than fender or Gibson leave the factory finished including the frets leveled. That’s expensive and at your price don’t expect that. But I am sure a set of looking tuners, throw an extra 2.0 bucks on the guitar. You use decent springs on your tremolos but there’s somethings you could do with your tremolo to make it great. Balance it to a set of 9s 0r 10. They are not balanced and will be impossible to keep in tune till they are. Otherwise for the price point of the Variax standard I can’t complain. I’d like to see the Pacifica belly contour put back, I realize that’s for the battery. I almost always play through my pod HD500x and before that my X3 pro. Again I know it’s cost but not that much offer a pod version with no battery. I’ve never used that battery maybe once when I tried out my DT amp. I realize you didn’t put a VDI in the DT amps because less people would believe you about having modeling dst I the preamp section even though so many of your guys making video kept calling it a pure tube amp it’s not. Just hook up the DT edit software through midi and you can see all the hd amps in there. Still I just love that amp I don’t care of there’s dsp or not in the amps what ever you did sorks. It’s too bad they are gone forever except for used. I heard from one YouTube music reporter saying nobody wants them. Why? I must be weird I’ve been playing electric since 1964 me second amp was a beautiful black face dual showman with twin JBL d130s. I loved that amp. I’ve had vettas and other line 6 amps no spiders though. My first hybrid was raw PeaVey vtx series. Great amp analog but transistorized preamp and full twin 6L6GC tube power amp, stil got it and a earlier vt series 212 as well. Still my favorite is the dt50s never tried the 25s but I’m sure the combination of line 6 dsp and bigness tube amps they are one of the finest amps made. Maybe because of some of the negative line 6 early line 6 solid state amps btw I thought unjustified. It was the tube Nazis that put the hex on lin6 6 stuff early. I have a tube Nazi friend who I believe I’ve convinced him helix is the top of the modeling world and blindfolded he’d think some of the helix sounds a bd wit their real tube amp models that he’d pick the helix as the real thing. Even I think your hds come close if not the same. I think I’ve said enough. I was looking for help so I can get helix tone into my DT amps but controlled as well as the hd amp controlled the dts that truely is a dream rig will always be the Variax standard , the HD500x ( wish I bought the rack for the direct dry guitar out, and then twin DT amps. I’ve watched tons of guys with the same rig that will never sell their twin dts . If I had the money I’d probably get 2 dt 25s too. For some reason used the dt25 seem to sell a bit more than the 50s could be the weight. When I got my dt50 w12 I had to put removable stainless steel castors on I wasn’t going to Tri to carry that to mr house. Man it’s a ton. Sounds sweet though