Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Routing Question

ajb1965

HI there good Line 6 experts.  I have had my HX FX for about a month and am still having issues with noise, levels yada trying to utilize my drive pedals in one of the loops.  I can run them in front of the HX just fine, but I really want to also use the HX in front of the drives for certain effects (compressor, wah, etc.)  So before I dismantle my pedalboard again I wanted to run my routing plan past the gurus here to see if they see any red flags.  What I'm trying to accomplish is have the HX in front of the drives but still be able to put delay and whatever else I want into my amps FX loop and also keep using my favorite reverb pedal.

Thanks for taking a look and if my plan is stupid, I don't mind hearing that either :)

IMG_20190627_151002.jpg

Hi there,

You should be able to run the OD pedals in the HX Effects FX loop just fine, what are the exact problems you're having? You mentioned noise/levels/yada but more specifically?

Anyway this cabling set up should work fine and give you a better overall solution, but you'll still need to get the levels right.

The first thing to check is that your HX Effects FX loops is set to instrument level in the global settings. Even then you can sometimes overload the pedals, so try dropping the send level 3dB at a time until you get a good tone. Bad tone from sending the pedals too much signal should be pretty obvious.

I think the level the of amp's FX loop depends on the amp, but set either to instrument or line in global settings, then perhaps adjust the return level down a bit if more headroom is required.

Finally, the level of the output block. Just make sure it's the right signal level for the amp. Compare the amount of gain/level with just running the guitar straight into the amp to get this right.

cheers,

B

14 minutes ago, yrebrac said:

Hi there,

You should be able to run the OD pedals in the HX Effects FX loop just fine, what are the exact problems you're having? You mentioned noise/levels/yada but more specifically?

Anyway this cabling set up should work fine and give you a better overall solution, but you'll still need to get the levels right.

The first thing to check is that your HX Effects FX loops is set to instrument level in the global settings. Even then you can sometimes overload the pedals, so try dropping the send level 3dB at a time until you get a good tone. Bad tone from sending the pedals too much signal should be pretty obvious.

I think the level the of amp's FX loop depends on the amp, but set either to instrument or line in global settings, then perhaps adjust the return level down a bit if more headroom is required.

Finally, the level of the output block. Just make sure it's the right signal level for the amp. Compare the amount of gain/level with just running the guitar straight into the amp to get this right.

cheers,

B

Hi, thanks for the response.  Loop 1 (where the OD's are today) is set for Instrument and Loop 2 is set to Line and seems to work fine in my amps loop.  The gain scenario you described is exactly what I'm experiencing. I will try reducing only the SEND level in that loop later today when I get home.  I had messed with the overall loop level and that seemed to calm the gain down but it dropped the overall volume so much it was not practical.  

Question though, if I drop the send gain down can I make up the volume with the receive level, or will that just put me back in the same boat?

Thanks again!  Cheers

AJB

If you have still have the problem, after say dropping send by 3 and raising return by 3 to equalise the volume again, then the problem was not sending too much signal to the ODs, it will be something else. But you can isolate the problem to a particular spot in the chain in that way or by switching loops in and out.

Try switching Loop1 to line level and you'll see what sending too much signal to your ODs sounds like!

On 6/27/2019 at 5:20 PM, ajb1965 said:

I have had my HX FX for about a month and am still having issues with noise, levels yada trying to utilize my drive pedals in one of the loops.

The should be able to get the levels under control within the HX Effects...

But the noise? Is it a hiss/white noise you are hearing? If so, you may have received an earlier HX that had a known issue. Take a look at this thread... the "artifacts" they are referring to is excessive hiss.  https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts/ 

Those units should be eradicated in the wild, but it is always possible a few still exist on the shelves or in the used market. My original HX Effects had this problem... and Line 6, along with my distributor (I'm in Canada) worked with me to solve the problem. If it is hiss you are hearing, I would suggest you open a support ticket with Line 6. They will help you get it sorted out. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

The should be able to get the levels under control within the HX Effects...

But the noise? Is it a hiss/white noise you are hearing? If so, you may have received an earlier HX that had a known issue. Take a look at this thread... the "artifacts" they are referring to is excessive hiss.  https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts/ 

Those units should be eradicated in the wild, but it is always possible a few still exist on the shelves or in the used market. My original HX Effects had this problem... and Line 6, along with my distributor (I'm in Canada) worked with me to solve the problem. If it is hiss you are hearing, I would suggest you open a support ticket with Line 6. They will help you get it sorted out. 

Hi,

It's a hum not a hiss and it's only present when the OD's are in the loop.  In front of the HX or amp they are fine.  Swapped cables, PSU etc and it's still there.  I put a gate block in the loop and that tames it, but it takes up an FX slot.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 3:11 AM, ajb1965 said:

It's a hum not a hiss and it's only present when the OD's are in the loop.  In front of the HX or amp they are fine.  Swapped cables, PSU etc and it's still there.  I put a gate block in the loop and that tames it, but it takes up an FX slot.

A hum might just be a ground loop. How are you powering the pedals?