Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

using X3 live as a midi controller for a third party VST

selection7

1. Is there a way to make Tone 2 button not switch between tone 1 & 2 (for example, so that it does nothing)?  I realize you can "Hold for dual", but even in dual tone mode, Tone 2 button will change the off/on state of the Stomp/Mod/Delay/Comp, and I don't want that.
  2.  Is there a way to make switches A/B/C/D stop changing patches (so that they do nothing)? A/B/C/D also changes the off/on state of Stomp/Mod/Delay/Comp, which I don't want.
  3. Any way to output dry signal form x3 live via analog? I only know of the S/PDIF and USB methods for outputting dry signal.

FYI, using an analog out (not S/PDIF or USB), I want to be able to use the X3 as just an amp model and not change any of its settings (so that its momentary switches are unneeded), but then put a midi-enabled effects VST (3rd party) after the X3 in the signal chain and have the X3's momentary switches still send out midi on/off to control the VST.  This is why I want the X3's momentary switches to turn only their own light on/off and to not affect the lights of any other switches.

1. Have you tried the 'Lock Tone 2' feature?

3. I don't think there's any way, other than to use a completely empty Tone (i.e. no amps/FX present in the signal path). That path will only involve the A/D and D/A conversions at the beginning and end of the path.

9 hours ago, silverhead said:

1. Have you tried the 'Lock Tone 2' feature?

3. I don't think there's any way, other than to use a completely empty Tone (i.e. no amps/FX present in the signal path). That path will only involve the A/D and D/A conversions at the beginning and end of the path.

1. Thanks for suggesting, but I just tried it out and Tone 2 Lock is just to stop Tone 2 from changing when you load a new preset.

I figured when I wrote the OP that the chances of #3 being possible were about 25%, chances of #1 & #2 about 2%, lol.  It never hurts to ask, though.  It makes the X3 less desirable as a midi controller than I was thinking because only five of the 12 momentary switches are usable for that purpose, but maybe 5 is enough for me.