Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor hum and bzz in blocks and empty patch

Andree88

Hi, I've bough a Helix Floor "ex-demo" yesterday. It all works perfect, display, switches, pedal. All.. but I heard immediatly a big problem: the hum/bzz when I select a block (even empty). The hum is lower if I select "none" input on display, but it's still there.

Tryied update firmware, reset, changed power cord, changed cables, guitars, amps, ground lift button, nothing changed. Bzz/hum stills here. 

What can I do? Should I return it to online shop where I bought or it's normal for Helix to have this problem? 
I'm using Helix on 1/4 output direct to my amp input.

Here are 2 videos of the problem. You can hear the silence when I turn off Helix.

(This with block hum, empty patch, it disappears when I set to "none" input)

(This when I turned off Helix. The amp is quite silence if I use guitar - amp)

Thanks

I think it's a faulty unit.  That digital noise that's very obvious in your first video towards the end sounds like something I've not personally heard - my unit is super quiet.

However, I don't know what I'm listening to - is your guitar plugged in and volume up?  Is it single strat type pickup? Is your guitar amp wound up to super overdrive levels?

I've not heard digital noise out of a Helix like that, but if you were really pushing the hell out of the amp, noise you'd not normally hear might be noticeable.  Because I don't hear and notes, I can't tell anything about noise level relative to signal.

Are you coming out at instrument level?

If all the above is not part of the problem, then it's absolutely not what you would expect from a Helix.

Thanks.

Guitar Ibanez Prestige with Tone Zone/Air Norton. Volume not so high in channel 1 (clean) of my Mesa. It's a bzzz that almost disappears with 4 cable method. Should I send back to shop then, or give it to Line 6 assistance. Thanks

On 6/30/2019 at 10:34 AM, Andree88 said:

Hi, I've bough a Helix Floor "ex-demo" yesterday. It all works perfect, display, switches, pedal. All.. but I heard immediatly a big problem: the hum/bzz when I select a block (even empty). The hum is lower if I select "none" input on display, but it's still there.

Tryied update firmware, reset, changed power cord, changed cables, guitars, amps, ground lift button, nothing changed. Bzz/hum stills here. 

What can I do? Should I return it to online shop where I bought or it's normal for Helix to have this problem? 
I'm using Helix on 1/4 output direct to my amp input.

Here are 2 videos of the problem. You can hear the silence when I turn off Helix.

(This with block hum, empty patch, it disappears when I set to "none" input)

(This when I turned off Helix. The amp is quite silence if I use guitar - amp)

Thanks

How are you amplifying it? Are you getting into a real amp? Does it make the same noise if you use the digital connection and record with your computer? Are you using humbucking pickups?